Need a better carbon filter: recommendations?

Rickstertp

Hey all,
I have a small tent 27x27x56 and a 4" inline fan with speed control and a large iPower carbon filter cannister. The fan is rated to 200 cfm and I rarely turn it up past 3-4 out of 10 and that is enough to cause the tent walls to draw in so there is good negative pressure. The problem is the carbon filter isn't up to snuff. The filter is rated for 205cfm, so they should be a good match and I'm not pushing it hard at all. Originally, I was venting the filtered air back into the room since it was coldish in there and the vented air was warm. Well the room always stank of weed. Then I vented it out into the attic and the room smell is much better (obviously, I'm in there daily checking plants and that makes the room smell) but now I'm venting to the attic, my wife said she can smell it outside the house. Not good.

I can't smell it because my sense of smell is not great, but if she can smell it then others can and I would rather they not. This is the first grow and the canister is only 3 months old, so it shouldn't be spent and as I said, it never was great to begin with. My filter hangs near the top of the tent and the motor is outside the tent.

So, is there a brand of filter, or brand of replacement carbon that I can use that will be better. I paid around $40 for this filter and I certainly don't mind spending more, but I need something that has better stealth.

Thanks all!

Is the filter inside the tent with a fan outside? I would double check that everything is airtight from the filter to the exhaust. That is a decent filter and it shouldn't be smelling like that. I have filters that I have three or four grows under that I am still using them and there is no smell in my basement where I vent out into the room. The prefilter if inside the tent is dirty clean it.

spend some money on this important component.... I use can filters...and have been using a set of them for many years. They can be emptied out and the charcoal cleaned and reactivated for very cheap. Good equipment may cost more at first, but the quality keeps them going forever.
can filter.png

Flip your flange from end to end for a couple of days. Usually just a couple of screws although some manufactures spot weld the cases. You may not be pulling air through the entire carbon bed causing one end to foul out early.

If that doesn't help your charcoal is spent and needs to be replaced. There is some debate on whether it can effectively be reactivated in an oven. As I understand it the temps don't get hot enough to fully work but it may help slightly to extend an already dying filters life.

Personally I use cheap filters and treat them as cheap filters, I anticipate replacing them yearly which equals roughly 3-4 harvests per filter, more than enough to offset the cost of a few filters and provide peace of mind. My current ones are still going strong past a year. 8x24 " melon farm" brand from Amazon

This is my first grow and it's an auto, so it's only been since Nov. 1. If it's spent then it was junk to begin with. It does have screws and I can try to mess with the carbon. Is there anything that works that isn't quite as expensive as the Can-Filters mentioned above. I'm sure they're great, but the price is prohibitive. I'm sure there are folks that have gotten a reasonable control of odor from units that are more affordable. Anyone?

spend some money on this important component.... I use can filters...and have been using a set of them for many years. They can be emptied out and the charcoal cleaned and reactivated for very cheap. Good equipment may cost more at first, but the quality keeps them going forever.
can filter.png
What kind of fan are you using with this filter?

can filter.png
What's your opinion on the Phresh filters? The Can-Filters aren't as easy to get in my area and they don't have the size I need on Amazon :(

This is the first grow and the canister is only 3 months old, so it shouldn't be spent and as I said, it never was great to begin with.
Unless you are growing long flowering Sativas it would appear that you used your carbon filter in veg if you have been using it for 3 months. I only use mine in flower. Often times the rh spike in veg will be over 70% and this clogs up your filter. Was there any chance that something like this has happened? Did you run it in veg?
I run an Ipower as well. Mine is on its second year of service. I clean the prefilters after every run and keep the rh 60% or under while it is in use. The rest of the time it is wrapped in plastic for the next time I need it. I make sure that it was running at a low rh before wrapping it up.

They seem to have a good rep... I have never used one though.
Thanks. This seemed like the next best alternative from what I researched. This is my first grow and I, unfortunately, bought the Vivosun 6" filter for a 4X2X6 tent and its not cutting it. It's reducing the smell, but certainly far from eliminating it. Decided to upgrade to the Phresh and upgrade to the AC Infinity Fan. For $300 am hoping the pair is a worthwhile upgrade.

I know that's an el cheapo brand - but they do produce functional carbon filters, and a 6" one is overkill for a mere 48 cubic feet of grow space. The fact that you did buy that size and are having issues with odor already... is strongly indicative that something is wrong with your setup.

As others have mentioned, check for air leaks between the filter and the fan.

Also... you don't have your exhaust fan on a timer, do you? Because cannabis has an odor in the dark, too ;) .

I know that's an el cheapo brand - but they do produce functional carbon filters, and a 6" one is overkill for a mere 48 cubic feet of grow space. The fact that you did buy that size and are having issues with odor already... is strongly indicative that something is wrong with your setup.

As others have mentioned, check for air leaks between the filter and the fan.

Also... you don't have your exhaust fan on a timer, do you? Because cannabis has an odor in the dark, too ;) .
Yes, it’s definitely over sized but plan was to run on a lower setting to help reduce noise.
What’s weird is when I initially set it up, I had massive negative pressure. I kept opening vents until it was right. Now I don’t have any but feel tons of air blowing through the fan.

something isn’t right that’s for sure. I did have high humidity a couple times and wondered if it screwed up the filter. Of course this was early flower and smell wasn’t really an issue as it is now.

Back
Top Bottom