Need advice on grow box

gatekpr51

Ok, I am a second time grower, and I was looking for some advice for a flowering box i'm building. The box is 3'W x 2'D x 5'H. I plan on running either two duct fans with the intake running at 80cfm and the exhaust at 140cfm, or just installing one 380cfm fan as an exhaust with a passive intake. I want to get a HPS HID lighting setup, but I don't know what wattage to use on this space. I have been doing a lot of research on a lot of forums, but still don't know what I should go with. I plan on hanging the light instead of just mounting it directly to the top of the box, so I can adjust the height. I read on many sites that a 250w HPS is ideal for rooms up to 9 square ft and putting something larger than that will be too much, but other sites suggest using a 400w HPS for a setup this size, but that I would need to get one with an air-cooled exhaust, and that would bump the price up even more. I don't have too much money to spend on this setup, and so far all I have is the box built. What do you grow pros think would be the best setup for person on a limited budget. Thanks for the help.

Gate: if you have enough to buy a 400 watt hps, you have enoug money. I'd go w/the passive air intake and the 250 watter w/a remote balast, and if you feel you need more lights you can always add some clf's and use your imagination to get them as close to the lower bud sites as you can. That's where you're gonna need them anyway, and where even a 400 watter wont even reach due to shading of lower bud sites. If you can afford a vented hood, get it (or use your imagination and build a vented hood yourself!), and go w/the split air intake and exhaust like you mentioned. IMHO, uless you're going to do SOG in a space that size, 400 watts is a bit of a waist of light intencity. Better to spread that intencity out a bit w/a few added clf's if you feel you need them.

My ideal setup in that space would be as follows:( this is assuming you need nothing to stop smell)
1- 400 watt Switchable HID w/ Air cooled hood, 4" ducts, and glass.
1-250CFM 4" inline fan. Passive intake will be fine w this much airflow setup.
Just remember to put the intake holes low and exhaust high. Youre prob gonna have to go S.C.R.O.G. to limit height. Hope i helped.

Back
Top Bottom