Need guidance on setting up in a small Closet

puffsamust

Hey all,

I'm a noob trying to pop my cherry for the first time. I have some ideas that I'd like to run by you guys before I go and make any unnecessary purchases for my closet.
I'm looking at the small grow tent from HTG supply, 20"x36"x66" is the dimensions. The space will still have clothes and things in there as I don't have much space here to work with (I'm in a small apartment). I believe the closet is approximately 6 times bigger than the tent I'm looking at.
I'll be venting the tent inside the closet because I cannot run the exhaust outside. Here are the questions, hopefully some of the experienced closet growers can give me some pointers on this.

1. I'd like to be on the heavy side for lights so I'm looking at the 600w HID in a cool tube or a air cooled hood. I'm planning to pack in as many bags as possible in there and I'd like to know if,

1. the wattage would be too hot for the space. The climate here is hot most of the time so I'd like to take necessary precautions to keep the temps as low as possible before I start

2. would a dehumidifier be necessary to keep the clothes I have dry in the closet?

3. the tent I looked at only has 4"~5" vent holes, the cool tube is 6" in diameter. Is there flange adaptors that can make a 6" ducting narrow down at the end so I can fit it into the 4" hole?

4. if anyone is using these types of tents can you tell me if an active intake is necessary? They have pretty good sized vent flaps that could be open from 3 sides on the bottom.

5. this particular tent comes with metal frames, would a light mover be an overkill? Or is that going to be a pain to install in a tent (I'm far from being a handy guy). I'm asking because I read that cool tubes have a hot spot (source: MJ horticulture).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys, :peace:

Thanks for the quick reply DaMagoman,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the dimensions, my calculations put me at a little over 5 square feet, the manufacture says the tent is suppose to be 32 cubic feet. Once again the dimensions are 20 x 36x 66 (inch). Could you try to elaborate on your explaination a little more if possible? The people who sell the tent say the 400w hid would be most suitable for this dimension, I've seen people doing a 400w with about the same space I'm looking to deal with. I could go with a bigger tent and go down on the wattage on the HID if necessary. Maybe if I take everything out of the closet and kept the tent in there by itself, would that reduce the hazard? I'll be pulling the hot air from the bulb out with a inline fan. I'm guessing you don't think that'll be sufficient enough to keep the tempurature low enough? For the grow method, I'll be using the 12/12 from seed to maximize space... I'll be looking into the CFL's now, do you know of any journals here that uses T5's? Sorry if I bombarded you with so many questions, it's a noob thang... Thanks again.:peace:

yes, I'll be venting into the closet. I really want to get the most out of the space by using HID's since it's so small but the heat looks like it'll be the problem. I just looked at Boss's new set up and his temps seem to go over 80 degrees with a 400w MH, don't think he's venting his bulb though so I'm praying that a 400w with a cooltube and inline fan will be enough to get me by. God bless you preacher, take it easy...

Alot of people on here settle for CFL's but as cool as everyone claims them to run without a nice enclosure like hids it seems cooling thems a bitch. What u gonna do as for smell?? Ooh a 400 would get those little girls stinkin, whoo. Maybe attach an inline too a can filter and hang it high in tha closet too not only cool your light but clean that air. Its probably not the best way too go but with a small gro might work. I was thinking even put a can filter in cab maybe on ground and just run duct up too an air cooled light and the too an inline fan high above cab, tent. Pull in cool air low in cab through filter 4 stinky, and then that hot ass air from light, not so hot on this idea though. Well keep us updated.

Thanks for the tip TW,

I'll get an extra one for the closet for sure, don't need any combustion going on in there until me and the girls are ready for it.

Mulletman,

Thanks for much good advice. The tent has a 4" vent opening on the back about 1' up to the side. I'll probably put an elbow pointing down from the back to bring in some air with a duct fan. I'll be doing the same for the cooltube but with a 6" duct fan. For the fragrance, I'm getting a 6" vortex or similar inline fan with a carbon can filter to go with it. I'll be trying out the odor eating bulbs to keep things low when I open the tent. Probably go with some Ona gel for additional support and coverage. I'm looking at the 39"x39"x76" since more space seems easier to controll the temps and all... The 20"x39"x65 would be a walk in one man sauna I think. I should probably get a dehumidifier too, don't want soggy clothes hanging in the closet.

Back
Top Bottom