Need Help! Broken Plant!

Burple

I was adjusting my lights tonight, and the fixture fell out of my hand and landed right on top of one of my plants, snapping the main stem!
It broke all the way through and only a little sliver of the outside of the stem was holding it together.
I taped it up with scotch tape, and then wrapped a wire tie around it to keep it upright.
Am I wasting my time?
Should I just remove the top, or give it a couple of days and see if it starts to heal?
Thanks for any and all help! :thanks:

My Grow
4x4 Tent
Bagseed
Deep Water Culture under CFL's
Technaflora nutes
I am only 2 days into the flower cycle.

Thanks for answering DF!
I just checked it, and I really don't think it is going to survive.
I only broke it about 9PM last night, and about 14 hours later all the leaves are turning brown already.
I'm worried that by leaving the broken part taped on, it will keep the plant from growing as if it was topped or something.
I don't know.
I'll give it a couple of days and see what happens.
Thanks again for answering! :thanks:

Well, after a couple of days now, the broken plant has not died! :slide:
The edges and points of all the leaves on the broken part are curling and brown, but the leaves are still mostly green! :whoa:
It hasn't grown any, but I'm hoping it just using all of it's energy to knit itself back together. :bitingnails:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!:goodluck:

While I was tying down my plants at the end of July, I pulled too much and split the main stem right down the middle. I wrapped twine around the split and tied the opposing branches together to bring it back together. It not only lived, it grew like crazy. It's budding everywhere and looks really good. I'm fairly clumsy, and this happened more than once. I actually broke other stems and had the same result. Possibly a new, scary technique. FIBI. (Fuck I broke it!) I know it sounds nuts, and I didn't mean to do it. But so far the broken, repaired plants are bigger than the unbroken ones. :peace:

PS, I should mention that all the above happened after I screamed, WHY? WHY ME? while on my knees beating on the ground.:grinjoint:

PS, I should mention that all the above happened after I screamed, WHY? WHY ME? while on my knees beating on the ground.:grinjoint:

LOL! Yeah been there done that! :)

When I went and peeked at my babies this morning when the lights came on, it actually looks like the plant may have grown a little bit!
It is definitely closer to the lights than it was! :slide:
I just don't know if it is the lower 3/4, the top 1/4 that I broke off, or the entire plant that grew! :hmmmm:

Thanks for answering! :thanks:

The big plant that I split was just a little more to the left side of the plant, that side is twice the size of the right. Side branch secondary growth is 15" to 18" heights, while on the undamaged side, they are 6" to 8". Knowing this, I would still have a huge problem splitting a plant down the middle on purpose. But it seems that, at least in my little accidental experiment, that FIBIhas boosted the output. Good luck!:ganjamon:

I'm batting a 1000 now!

Out of my 5 plants, I have now broken 3 of them! :yikes:

The first one I dropped the light & snapped off the top of the plant, the second I was adding side lights, and when I plugged one in, the lamp fell over into another plant and snapped the top off, and now today, I was moving the sidelights and one of the plants' branches got caught inside the reflector, and snapped it off!
All of this has happened since I switched over to the flowering cycle!
In less than a week, I've tried to kill 3 of my 5 plants. :yikes:
I just hope the rest of my flowering goes better!:bitingnails:

new rule for you....No more touching the lights (for any reason) while the plants are in place
****I just did something similar. A nice Indica had just shown it's first real leaves...reeeal wide and healthy. The CFL (on a clamp mount) slipped a bit and burned the top two sets of leaves completly....only the two round starter leaves were left. I figured I'd see what happens. The little bugger came back doubled! (Just like I'd topped an older plant) It's my favorite seedling still. Now it's twice as nice:cheer::cheer:
NEVER GIVE UP!!:wood:

Well guys, believe it or not, I am now down to 1 single, solitary plant!
I started with 6, and 1 died back at the beginning of the veg cycle, leaving me with 5.
All 5 were growing fairly well all through the veg cycle, and then I went to flower.
In the first week of flower I broke 3 out of the 5 plants, taped them up, and kept my fingers crossed.
Well yesterday was the end of the first week of flowering, and 4 out of the 5 plants turned out to be males!
So now I am left with a single female plant, and the funniest thing is that it is the first one I broke! :laughtwo:
With the way my luck has been going, it will probably turn into a hermie! :yikes:

Thanks guys!

I don't feel so bad knowing that I'm not alone in the plant breaking business! :)
I'm just pissed that only one ended up being female (the hazard of bagseed).

The way I look at though is that at least I now have the knowledge to grow something (hopefully more than one plant) next time, since I had heat, PH, algae, and breaking problems on this grow. :yikes:
If I get a couple of buds out of the one plant left, I'll consider it a success. :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom