Need help deciding if harvest time

McTrish

Hi everyone
This is my first hydroponic grow. I currently have gods green crack and girl scout cookies in late flower stage. (9 weeks)
Tomorrow will be 2 full weeks of flushing. I started the flush because timeline for ggc is 7-8 weeks bloom time and gsc is 9-10. Hairs are mostly brown and curled downwards. Initially my phone camera had me thinking trichomes were white but I just got digital microscope and now am questioning if I started flushing too soon. I would prefer the more energetic high to the couch lock. The outer leaves have not started browning.
Please help me assess the trichomes and determine if time to harvest or not.or if I should start feeding again for another week and then flush again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200504-112654_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200504-112654_Photos.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 315
  • Screenshot_20200504-112436_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200504-112436_Photos.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 2020-05-04-083908.jpg
    2020-05-04-083908.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 317
Hi everyone
This is my first hydroponic grow. I currently have gods green crack and girl scout cookies in late flower stage. (9 weeks)
Tomorrow will be 2 full weeks of flushing. I started the flush because timeline for ggc is 7-8 weeks bloom time and gsc is 9-10. Hairs are mostly brown and curled downwards. Initially my phone camera had me thinking trichomes were white but I just got digital microscope and now am questioning if I started flushing too soon. I would prefer the more energetic high to the couch lock. The outer leaves have not started browning.
Please help me assess the trichomes and determine if time to harvest or not.or if I should start feeding again for another week and then flush again.
I like mostly cloudy with a few amber popping up. I would think you have 10-14 days for my liking.

I agree with the others. These plants are not yet ready. There should be, as far as I like it, about 20% amber trichomes and the rest of them should be at least half clouded.

Penny, please correct me if I've estimated the wrong number of Amber trichomes. I'm pretty sure it should be 20% but it has been a few years since I've grown. I may be mis-remembering the correct percentage.

All my best,
Magnus

Excellent. Thanks everyone. I appreciate the quick responses. I have added nutrients back into the reservoir and will continue monitoring with the digital microscope.

I’ll go against what everyone else is saying....
Look at the heads... they are close to cloudy, but still need 3-5 days to meet your peak. (Check out my “Time to harvest” thread in my sig.
In 3-5 day, depending on what high you’re chasing, feed, then set them in complete darkness for 36-72 hours. Trim the fans and whatnot, then chop. (I have a write up on that too)
Check out the process.
I like the stoner body high, not the heart racing high. I wait for 10-20% amber, then throw in the darkness.
Here’s where I was before the 72 hour darkness. Trust me.
042B2947-B681-433C-9B03-E387A797873C.jpeg

So feed for a week, then flush for a week?
For future reference, if you’re going to flush to “reset” your soil, do that at week 6.
If you think you’re going to flush to get a better taste from your buds... you’re wasting your time. Not possible. That all depends on your curing process. Believe it or not... I have writeup for both in my sig. Lol!

Nope not ready. Start trimming fan leaves to make trim easier
No offense SS, Fans store THC, so when you stress preharvest, it will bring it into the flower... along with stored sugars and all sorts of other goodness. Don’t trim fans direct connected to mains.
F00BAEF8-953A-421C-98BB-EF16958B294D.png

For future reference, if you’re going to flush to “reset” your soil, do that at week 6.
If you think you’re going to flush to get a better taste from your buds... you’re wasting your time. Not possible. That all depends on your curing process. Believe it or not... I have writeup for both in my sig. Lol!
I'm growing hydroponic and am not using organic nutrients for this grow. I don't like the thought of smoking chemicals left behind. Maybe next crop, I will try organic nutrients and forgo the flush. Given that I already flushed for 2 weeks, this next flush will be short anyway.

I'm growing hydroponic and am not using organic nutrients for this grow. I don't like the thought of smoking chemicals left behind. Maybe next crop, I will try organic nutrients and forgo the flush. Given that I already flushed for 2 weeks, this next flush will be short anyway.
Just to give you some good information....

The whole “chemicals” in your bud theory has been debunked. A Nitrogen molecule is just that. Your cure is how you get leftover nutrients (not chemicals) out of your weed. You cannot flush (starve) your plant into tasting better.

A synthetic N molecule does not have a different taste than an organic N molecule.
The process in regards to your cure completely determines how it will taste/smoke.

Flushing is beneficial to clear out any excess nutrients built up, remedy salt buildup, or reset from lockouts. Starving your plant so it consumes/clears the nutrients in its leafs doesn’t effect the taste unless you’re smoking fans. That’s all I’m saying here. I recommend reading the below information so you can understand the science behind it.

“From the moment the crop is harvested it begins to degrade as enzymes and aerobic bacteria break down excess sugars and starches. Curing cannabis essentially forces the plant to use up those sugars, starches and excessive nutrients before they’ve had the chance to dry out and get stuck inside the plant.”

Those sugars, starches, and leftover chlorophyll are what give you the harsh taste... not the products you use to deliver the nutes to the plants.

Apologies for the rant, it’s a common argument.

I agree that flushing does nothing to improve aroma or taste. Like Adam stated a nitrogen molecule is just that whether it comes form an organic source or from a bottle.

This is about tomatoes any relevance to pot?
“Flushing exposes hydroponic plants and systems to fresh, clean water instead of the mineral-rich nutrient solution that they normally live on. It is recommended as a way of keeping the pump, pipes and other system parts free of an accumulation of excess mineral salts, dirt and other debris, such as algae. Flushing also allows plants to shed any buildup of salts they may have, making it easier for them to absorb the nutrients they need. Finishing fruits and vegetables with a fresh-water flush also makes them more palatable and removes the bitter taste a salt buildup can cause.“

This is about tomatoes any relevance to pot?
“Flushing exposes hydroponic plants and systems to fresh, clean water instead of the mineral-rich nutrient solution that they normally live on. It is recommended as a way of keeping the pump, pipes and other system parts free of an accumulation of excess mineral salts, dirt and other debris, such as algae. Flushing also allows plants to shed any buildup of salts they may have, making it easier for them to absorb the nutrients they need. Finishing fruits and vegetables with a fresh-water flush also makes them more palatable and removes the bitter taste a salt buildup can cause.“
It’s a very broad statement.
Flushing does clear salt build up, but it’s impossible to flush nutrients out of your plant for a better taste. That’s not how the leftover nutrients get processed out of your buds.
In my opinion you couldn’t compare the two since you’re not smoking tomatoes. I know there are different factors when it comes to actually eating the product, but even then, ripness and cure play a major, and for fruits, the key role in taste.
As for folks in hydro... I believe most change the water out weekly, so....

@TurboBucket would be your hydro guy. I can only assume, and parrot what I’ve heard from people like Turbo.

Back
Top Bottom