Need Help: Extracting THC Using Alcohol

If one is orally consuming tincture then I would surmise that retaining the chlorophyll would be a good thing. In fact, given that alcohol will get you terps (unlike butane or pentane) in large quantities, if I were orally consuming, using alcohol would be my first choice. Heck, there's alot of tasty choices available . . . perhaps when I make some Apple Jack this winter . . .
It has to be at least 150 proof or 75% alcohol. And when stored as a tincture it is preserved in alcohol. So it will last forever. You don't have to put it in the freezer. You don't want to consume it without first diluting into a shot glass of water or a drink of choice, as it will burn and maybe damage your mouth.

It has to be at least 150 proof or 75% alcohol. And when stored as a tincture it is preserved in alcohol. So it will last forever. You don't have to put it in the freezer. You don't want to consume it without first diluting into a shot glass of water or a drink of choice, as it will burn and maybe damage your mouth.
I guess that Jack will have to be distilled prior to usage ;)
So one can't just take a shot of the filtered alcohol after the soaking? 151 Bacardi shots can be brutal, but drinkable, depending on what time of the night it is.

I guess that Jack will have to be distilled prior to usage ;)
So one can't just take a shot of the filtered alcohol after the soaking? 151 Bacardi shots can be brutal, but drinkable, depending on what time of the night it is.

Not only will it burn your mouth. A shot glass would be 24 times the dose to get high.

And after extraction my left over weed material will still get you high when smoked, so it doesn't extract all the THC.

Yes, a third rinse isn't worth the trouble, I’ve found out. As far as witch is more potent the first is always best,
I mix them together, first and second rinse and allow to evaporate in a well vented area u can speed up this process with a fan blowing across the pans and out the window

Bust product down evenly and add to glass jar. Fill jar with either alcohol(99iso) or good quality butane(zippo premiim). Rapid stir or put the lid on and shake it for a minute or two. Avoid making the water turn green with iso, that is the chlorophyll coming out and you dont want it. Let the shake settle and slowly pour off into another jar with a coffee filter. Pour off what you can without getting too much product in the filter, and then add a little more solvent to the first jar, shake for 3 seconds, and filter it too.

Natural evaporation is best for beginners. However, you can convert some constituents by quickly heating the soup, making a stronger overall product.

If heating to evaporate or potentiate:

Alcohol stinks but isn't as "explosive" as the butane. The alcohol makes a woomph if you catch it on fire but it wont knock you across the room, but may get your eyebrows. It doesn't flame that far into the air in a gaseous sense if you catch it on fire, only the fumes its creating locally to the heat source, and is fairly easy to put out with a wet towel you should keep nearby.

Butane stinks less but is more explosive and requires far less temps to evaporate. More difficult to "bump" temps for potentiating purposes. Burns in the air easier.

Rule #1, dont catch it on fire. Dont cook it on a propane/gas stove. All it takes is that flame's heat to lick over the side too much and ignite the rising fumes.

Rule #2 ventilate.

Spark sources are a real danger, but I've never ignited anything that way. Your toaster on your counter isn't going to do anything unless you use it. The light if already off or on assuming its electrically sound isn't going to do anything if you dont touch it. Your fridge turning on might, but is highly unlikely. If you have that perfect ignition ratio in the air to begin with then you are going too fast or not ventilating enough(and its probably bubbling and vaporizing)

Rule #3 small batches are easier and safer and usually faster than waiting on gallons of soup.

This is just my two cents on it, I love making oil and have had many compliments(and a few people go from partying to bedtime in 10 mins).
I just came across a new supplier (Lab Alley) for solvents and they are offering 200 proof non-denatured ACS-USP Grade (tax paid) alcohol. They share that no license is needed and since they are supplying the extraction industry they have alot of different alcohols and solvents like pentane, hexane, etc. Buy 100% Alcohol | Ethanol 200 Proof | Non-Denatured | Pure Food Grade | Tax Paid
Prices on the pentane is the same as the supplier I use so I surmise the rest of the prices are reasonable as well.

I just came across a new supplier (Lab Alley) for solvents and they are offering 200 proof non-denatured ACS-USP Grade (tax paid) alcohol. They share that no license is needed and since they are supplying the extraction industry they have alot of different alcohols and solvents like pentane, hexane, etc. Buy 100% Alcohol | Ethanol 200 Proof | Non-Denatured | Pure Food Grade | Tax Paid
Prices on the pentane is the same as the supplier I use so I surmise the rest of the prices are reasonable as well.

That's the type of place I bought my alcohol from. In California they won't even allow 150 proof (75%). But they don't mind taxing you and doubling the price when you import it from another state. Rick Simpson says Ether would be a good solvent also. Not sure what type of Ether though.

When using alcohol, freeze everything before extraction, and you won't get as much chlorophyll. Use a small stove top liqueur still to boil off the alcohol, and recover it for use again. Your tincture will stay as a residue in the still. When you run the still, the temperature will never get above the boiling point of the alcohol, and when the alcohol is all off, the temperature in the still will fall, and you will really begin to smell the extract. Decarboloxylate the residue and you have RSO.

First time i ever tried this 20 years ago i did the extraction with pet ether and cleaned it up with chloroform.

And yes...i still have a face and actually did NOT blow my house up. :)

Not sure to this day how ........

But, moving on.....i have started growing again over the last couple of years and am into making tinctures. I use AR grade ethanol..its a lab supply thing....very clean and concentrated.

Most of what i have done with this is on the Holy tincture link in my sig so i wont retype it here.

I generally use a tincture by squirting some into a nice black coffee to herbal it up. Works a treat as far as a buzz.

Doesn't sound like i do it much different from some of the others here who have done tinctures that dont seem to be much good?? Curious about that.

Have done tinctures with just bud and just leaf. 4g bud in 25ml ethanol..4-8 drops all good, 8g bud in 25ml..2-4 drops better. 25g leaf in 50ml ethanol..a dropper full in coffee and buzzed. :)

The chlorophyll? Personally the taste doesn't bother me and you buy it health food shop dont you?? :).

The tincture is exactly like RSO except you don't bake out the solvent. Instead. Food grade alcohol solvent is used so you don't have to extract it. That way it is preserved in alcohol without refrigeration.

This form of Cannabis was used as medicine in the olden (wild west ) days. Until evil forces converged for profit against Cannabis. These forces must be weeded out.

I created a tincture using Everclear 190 proof alcohol. The weed was first decarboxilated for 1 hour at between 240-255 degrees. The soak was 3 days long. After straining, a portion of the tincture was stored and the balance was cooked down to oil. Bottom line, neither the tincture nor the oil produce ANY psychotropic effects. I didn't get even slightly high. The weed I started with was fairly high grade buds only. One bowlful in a small pipe and I'm nicely baked. So the problem is not the source

I have read dozens of extraction recipes. Some say soak the weed for less than an hour. Others say soak it for up to 3 weeks. What is YOUR take on this? Why is my end product so seemingly worthless? Thx.

Decarboxylation is typically done at 250 Degrees F for 30 minutes. You also have to use an accurate thermometer. My oven runs at least 20 degrees hot.

With Rick Simpson oil you just do 2 quick washes for 5 minutes each. Then filter out the plant material from your solvent and discard. You then reduce it in a rice cooker which takes care of the decarboxylation process.
When producing oil, if the temperature gets a little over 300°F (148°C), it will begin to vaporize the cannabinoids off the oil and, of course, you do not want this to occur. If a rice cooker is working properly, it will automatically come off the high heat setting at roughly 210 to 230°F or (100 to110°C), which is above the temperature where most people say decarboxylation is said to occur,

Hello 420,
I am a new member and am coming to you guys with some questions. Recently I received some cab (leaves of the cannabis plant), with about 6% THC in them. I am trying to extract the THC from them and currently have them soaking in 99% Ethanol Alcohol. I am wondering if this will be successful in extracting the THC from the cab. I am also paranoid about boiling off the alcohol, as both the vapor and the liquid are very flammable. I was wandering what temperature I should cook it at and what kind of thing I should cook it in (I've heard ceramics and Pyrex beakers). Please help!

Smoke weed erryday.
Do a google search on "how to make rick simpson oil" and start from there and expand that as you gain the skills and confidence in doing this. Not hard to do but can be dangerous due to the solvent needed. I use a 200 proof fda certified food and pharmaceutical grade ethanol made of organic pure cane sugar that is also certified Kosher for my Jewish vets needs. Do your homework 1st, get the proper tools and always do in a very well ventilated location. When you have much experience you will upgrade your equipment for better results and for good recovery of distillates/solvents used.

Back
Top Bottom