Need help identifying bugs in soil

Vapin

I am familiar with pests and have had my fair share of battles and gained knowledge. With that, I know what russet mites, thrips, and aphids look like first hand and I don't believe these to be any of those.

Opening a fresh bag of Foxfarm Ocean Forest I found 4 different types of bugs in the soil. After researching I am unable to identity any of them. The one that looks like a brown mite might be a form of hypoaspis miles, but I am unsure. Any help identifying these will help, thanks.
20200507_061804.jpg
20200507_061858.jpg
20200507_061955.jpg
20200503_194052.jpg

Not sure on the mite, might be predatory that was introduced to kill off larva of pests by the producer.

The second picture I am pretty sure is thrips and the 3rd looks like a fruit fly, rounded body and red eye.

That last one could be a fungus gnat - does it do more crawling than flying?? I'm pestered by these guys in my composting worm bin. They like decomposing stuff.
Yes he was crawling a lot, I don't think I saw him fly.

Second one could be a springtail. They can chew roots, but they don't tend to do much damage. They help with the decomposition of organic matter, and they like damp conditions, just like fungus gnats.
That would make more sense since it isn't the same size or color at the thrips I had before and these guys are fast as hell.

So far we have I feel as if with your help we have identified the Fruit fly (4), and the Springtail (2), but what are number 1 and 3? If I can confirm number 1 is a version of hypoaspis miles that would make me feel better. I have more pictures if needed, and I still dont know what number 3 is.

Thanks for all the help. :D

Back
Top Bottom