Need help selecting a light for growing one plant

Lathargic

Good afternoon 420Magazine, this is my first time posting here.

See, I want to grow a single cannabis plant for personal use and so of course need to purchase a light. Whilst I understand cannabis plants require a great deal of care and money, I am on a budget and so wish to keep the cost of things to a minimum.

I have found a cheap light whilst searching around, a 15W Led Grow Light for £21 (I'm not sure if that includes delivery or not). Here is a link to the greasy bastard:
led grow light 15W [38408456] - $31.58 : Harmony Lighting Store

Would this be good enough for one plant? If not, please recommend one that is, but understand that I can't spend much more than £40.

Thank you very much,

Lathargic

Some say the rule of thumb is 50w / 5000 lumen per square foot of growing space as a medium expectation, the more the better :love:

The least you can get away with is 30w / 2500 lumen per square foot so they say !

You may wish to take a peek at dual spectrum cfls 125w, 200w, 250w or 300w or just a combination of blue 6500k & red 2700k single domestic cfls bulbs some of these you can find in your local hardware store :thumb: you may have to search a little for the blues tho.

Hope that helps.

What budget are you working with? What size area are you looking to grow in?

Here is the 420magazine section on lighting....tons of really good info here to help you with your lighting decision...

Grow Lighting - 420 Magazine ®

If your on a budget....check out CFL lighting...would be best bang for your buck...Ive seen plenty of very very nice CFL grows on this forum...and the search feature here is excellent too :)

LED right now is very expensive because it still is in its development stages and cutting edge so the prices reflect it....you might be able to find yourself a nice 90w UFO LED though for around 150$ which should be good for a couple smaller plants..

HID lighting would be your best bet for years of proven results...however, a good 400w, reflector ballast setup will run you around 150$ and then you may still need venhilation, fans and other tempeture control devices if your grow room gets too hot...not to mention that the higher wattage your running, the more the electric bill climbs up too..

Fuzzy duck put some good info up there! +rep..

Thanks for the help, Fuzzy Duck. Would this light here then be any good with a dual spectrum 6400K/2700k?

125w CFL Lamp / Bulb: Basement Lighting Hydroponics and Plant Grow Lights

Ye the 125w dual spectrum should be ok for one plant, i would prefer the larger 300w myself but thats just me.

• With dual spec'd cfls they are more or less 50/50 in blue/red spectrums.
  • That sized cfl is an E40 fitting you going to need a reflector with that or a E40 bayonet fitting.

If a reflector is required, get one with a dimpled/hammered finsh on the inside as they are much better at spreading light about than the plain polished finsh ones :peace:

Ye the 125w dual spectrum should be ok for one plant, i would prefer the larger 300w myself but thats just me.

• With dual spec'd cfls they are more or less 50/50 in blue/red spectrums.
  • That sized cfl is an E40 fitting you going to need a reflector with that or a E40 bayonet fitting.

If a reflector is required, get one with a dimpled/hammered finsh on the inside as they are much better at spreading light about than the plain polished finsh ones :peace:

the 300w bulb.. with ballast should be ok for flowering and veg growth ?

Back
Top Bottom