Need Help with home built stealth grow box (pics)

Brads420

Ok, so 1st timer here. New to growing and to the forum.

I built this grow box out of a old tv cabinet I found. I converted it to a 38"22"x58" closet. I installed a Mars II 900w Led from top led, a mini 7 1/2" oscillating fan and a 4" hurricane fan & 8x16"carbon filter kit from growtents.com, and a 4' led tri band full spectrum strip light. I cut a 10"x7" hole at the bottom and installed a HEPA a/c air filter to filter incoming air.

I just finished building it and I am now in the process of testing before I grow. The problem is that the temp is running hot inside there. I have the oscillating fan and exhaust on high and the temp is 90 at the lowest so far.

Any ideas on how I can get the temp down? Is there not enough intake opening for this setup? would it run cooler if the pots and moist soil were in there?

Sorry about all photos being rotated to the left, I will figure out how to fix that before I post again.

photo_5160.JPG

This is the back wall near the bottom that has a 10x7" hole with a air filter on it.

photo_4235.JPG

overall view

photo_3294.JPG

Mars II 900w

photo_2363.JPG

oscillating fan up in back corner

photo_1424.JPG

4" exhaust w/8'x16" carbon air filter.

Wow, I do t know man. I'm using t5s. Don't know what kind of heat your lights are putting out. But if you still have negative pressure, you could always add more intake. Though the size of yours sounds ample.

Wow, I do t know man. I'm using t5s. Don't know what kind of heat your lights are putting out. But if you still have negative pressure, you could always add more intake. Though the size of yours sounds ample.

Hey Hazie,
I don't think I have negative pressure anymore. The doors aren't suctioned closed anymore, at first they were because all I had were some holes drilled before I cut the big hole. Is that a good indicator that I don't have negative pressure?

Can you make a air duct for your light fans. Or move the fan away from the heat source its blowing the hot air out of the light down before it all go's threw your other filter. Try this just to see. put the fan on the bottom on and just see if temps drop.

So this may seem a bit silly. But we use Mylar blankets for survival. To trap and reflect heat right? We wear white when it's hot outside to keep cool. I was also told by grow guy better to use white side of Mylar. Just sayin....

Well I would start with. What does heat do? Rise up. If you have a fan blowing down from top where all the main heat is. That would do what? Just sayin. Also might have to double size of intake.

I'm not sure why the white side but, say SJ tents come pre lined with a the shiny side in your tent reflecting on your plants. Just sayin tho!
And Brad I had a similar issue and ran a thinner filter on my exhaust to allow more suction flow, the dude at the store said you had to run it with out you could but would be buying an $80 filter sooner.
Smoke on !

I only know Mylar is 97% reflective not saying white won"t work but Mylar is more efficient for sure, not sure about the heat, more light more heat?
For my exhaust I have a 6inch hose direct from outside with filter built in and right beside the outside air is one of the Velcro windows on the tent. I have it peeled half open, due to it being to so cold I have the fresh air coming in the 6" and a small heater on the outside of the tent level with it bringing heat in, then a 9 inch fan on floor belowe hot and cold blowing up mixing the two temps and I have my exhaust suction/filter above the super nova reflector, but
I'm only running 400w and also only have the problem of too cold.
The only thing I can think of is I'm running a 3x3x6 tent and I have a 9 Inch on the thermostat on the floor and a 6 inch on continuous with the suction of exhaust and the intake 6" flowing in nice and sometimes I still have had heat issues, I'm also not running LED but it sounds like the unit needs bigger holes and a fan if your only running one.
Peace!

Ok If you have a cold temp problem try to get a fan up buy lights to collect warm air to blow down in room and try and close off intake a little to allow temps to rise . If you have a heat problem with out side temps cool them get fan at bottom blowing cool air around in room and increase intake size hole to pull more cool air in. Now when I talk about fan I mean a extra fan not the main exhaust fan. Happy Growing.

Forgot to add this. If you have A big light and are trying to get room warm the move the exhaust at the bottom so it pulls all the hot air down in the tent And your fan for your plant will help move the warm air around. Hot air always likes to rise so always keep that in mind.

Ok so in working on a few things to get temp down some more. Currently it runs at about 90. My newest question is... How will the plants and the pots of damp soil affect the temp and humidity? Currently all my testing consists of an empty closet. Will temps/humidity rise or lower slightly when I add plants and soil pots? Or will that not cause any difference?

(UPDATE ? about the temps) Need Help with home built stealth grow box (pics)

Ok so I made a few modifications to the cabinet. I was able to get my max temp down to 86.7F w/56% humidity. and it has a low of 72.3F w/32% humidity. How do those numbers sound to you guys? Are those good numbers to grow in? or is that still too hot?

Back
Top Bottom