Need help with identifying browning buds

Mike14

420 Member
Got about 9 plants, outdoors. The buds started to turn brown, and drying, almost shriveled up. We've found a handful of caterpillars and have cleaned them all off. I don't think its bud rot, no discoloration inside the buds, no webs or anything. Buddy is thinking he over did it on the nutrients, and or heat stress. I'll try to attach photos of an affected one and a normal one

Attachments

• 20200915_170714.jpg
    20200915_170714.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200915_170706.jpg
    20200915_170706.jpg
    918 KB · Views: 113
  • 20200915_170653.jpg
    20200915_170653.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 106
I'm not 100% sure. My buddy is the one who fed it last. He said he used like 1/4 of the recommended dosage from the bottle. That was mixed with like 1 gallon of water and used to feed all the plants. Theres 1 big one (5.5ft) and like a bunch of clones (7 or 8 i think) all around 4ft-ish. Its only our second year growing and its with almost no research until I found these forums recently. We dealt with caterpillars last year, horrible infestation, but still managed a great yield. That was largely thanks to the 7ft plant haha

I have two plants that have buds that look just like your 2nd and 3rd pictures. I am attributing it to heat stress from a short heat wave we had late in the season. At the time I wasn't sure, but two weeks later, most of the colas on the plants have returned to active flowering.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks to me like it’s just the pistils shriveling and the rest of the plant looks fine. Any chance there is a male plant in the vicinity that pollinated your girls?

Fortunately we got all the males out early so that shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't rule out the chance of a hermie, but I haven't noticed if there is one. I'm hoping it's just a nutrient shock, or heat stress. Like the previous post, we had a good heat wave recently so that could be part too. I've flushed the big boy (that the pics are from) with plenty of water in case of it being nutes.

I have been dealing with some of the same things! Its catapillers for sure! You need to search those buds insde and out! Kinda move them around! Once they stary on one, it kills the shit out of the flower, so LOOK THEM OVER GOOD!!! The same problem can be found here in my Journal some where recently!! Good Luck friend!!

I have been dealing with some of the same things! Its catapillers for sure! You need to search those buds insde and out! Kinda move them around! Once they stary on one, it kills the shit out of the flower, so LOOK THEM OVER GOOD!!! The same problem can be found here in my Journal some where recently!! Good Luck friend!!
I've been checking everyday and I am still finding caterpillars. I think your right and thats my culprit. I'm gonna try to find whats best to spray it with and hopefully its not too late in the season to do it. I'm sick of these bastards

Got about 9 plants, outdoors. The buds started to turn brown, and drying, almost shriveled up. We've found a handful of caterpillars and have cleaned them all off. I don't think its bud rot, no discoloration inside the buds, no webs or anything. Buddy is thinking he over did it on the nutrients, and or heat stress. I'll try to attach photos of an affected one and a normal one
Looks genetic. Could be simple caterpillar damage also. I lost a top to caterpillar today glad i caught it before it started to rot.

Back
Top Bottom