Need help with portable air Conditioning

basementdwell

ok just to get off I have a 6X6X8 room. I have a 6" cap value line fan exhausting. Also have some duct boosters. So i want to get some ac going so i can run a small batch over summer. First problem is very small space and getting there is very hard as i have to climb and then drop down to get to my entrance so weight is especially important. With only having 36 sq ft to cool, i am thinking i could get away with a small 8K unit. Problem is i ve only seen 10-12k units found this one looks great for its size but dam thing is 90lbs :( I really dont care if it has drains as i have plumbing in there. And if you have any suggestions

this is their 10k unit, does any one have any experience with them.
Whynter LLC

here is the one i really like, dam if it dont look like it weights 90lbs
Whynter LLC

What you failed to mention is the amount and type of lighting you are planning to use. Obviously, that will play a big part in how much cooling you need. What ambient temps will you experiance in the summer?

well so far i can keep it 10 deg cooler then ambient with just r30 insulation and my exhaust fans. I got 1 600 hps with a air cool ref with glass. I got 1 open 150hps, a pl model 150hps remote ballast. And plan on adding another 600 with a/c hood and a 250 MH in a cool tube. Also have two 4 blub 4' T8s in mixed spect. As far as peak temp we got into the mid 90 our last heat wave, i hit over 100s in space around my room i ed say mid 90s inside box.

I am learning about it as I am searching for something to help you with. I actually had no idea there were portable a/c units that were not window mounted. In Texas, all I see are window units, besides central air. Good luck finding what you need.

i am still looking but yes its difficult esp when you live in a condo they always give u shite about window units even have limits on split our heat pump died and dont got the 10g to replace it and either opting on a mini split but figured i would buy a couple portable one and place them here and there and even move. so wanted to get same ones for all around inc my closet so want stay on the lighter side so the misses & inlaw can move them too

Unfortuneatly, they are not as portable one would think. The issue is the discharge hose which has to be as short as possible.

Have considered these portable units myself. I've just stopped growing during the summer because the room will reach close to 100 degrees in the summer. Made the mistake of insulating my room too much and the 1000w hps just produces way too much heat. Even when I try my T5's it gets into the 90's.
I hear the biggest issue is with the evacuation hose. Its best to keep it short and buy some insulated heating duct hose to cover it otherwise it releases too much heat back into the room.

worse case i have to run 15 ft and i can tap into my 6" exhaust fan. My portable one i have now weights a 95lbs only has 1 exhaust tube so it does use inside air to blow past the condenser and then though a blower and out so i would be sucking air from outside the room in :( may be i will cool the whole space :( only problem is that the outside my room is not insulated and would be just pissing into the wind on that option. I know you guys are right and i am probably going to have to shut it down till late august early Sept. I was gonna do some outside but time is a precious commodity these days and the season is just to short where i am wish i lived on the west coast either north or south i am not picky :)

I tried one. Now, I'm in a apartment/condo....they blow off alot of heat, which is not a problem if you can vent out a window....I was learly of pumping out smells to the outside, and drawing attention....my only other option was a complicated expensive duct system, so I baild on the idea...

Back
Top Bottom