Need ideas on venting my chiller - just has a flat exhaust panel on back

Bolivar

I have a place to route the exhaust out of the room (an unused A/C return), but unlike a portable A/C which has a port for an exhaust duct, the chiller just blows the exhaust out a foot-square vent in the back. Anyone had experience doing this?

All I can come up with off the top of my head is to duct-tape a shroud around the back of the chiller and around the wall vent, but I'm pessimistic about that lasting for the 3 or 4 months that it'll be needed.

If your not worried about odor issues I would say use that silver HVAC tape to make the connections, then gorilla tape over it and just roll with what you are thinking. I would say from experience that the layer of gorilla tape over the HVAC tape will do the trick. If our worried about it lasting long term then just give it a look once a week for awhile and see how she holds up. I am sory I don't remember the name of the HVAC tape but its silver and almost like aluminum foil once its unwrapped, works like a charm to connect ducting to hot lights etc.
Good luck sir!

If your not worried about odor issues I would say use that silver HVAC tape to make the connections, then gorilla tape over it and just roll with what you are thinking. I would say from experience that the layer of gorilla tape over the HVAC tape will do the trick. If our worried about it lasting long term then just give it a look once a week for awhile and see how she holds up. I am sory I don't remember the name of the HVAC tape but its silver and almost like aluminum foil once its unwrapped, works like a charm to connect ducting to hot lights etc.
Good luck sir!

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to make a short styrofoam duct from the back of the chiller to the wall vent, and the HVAC tape sounds like it would be good to hold it together. I imagine it will be modified as I go along after I see what works for me. No idea what other people with chillers do to get rid of their exhaust.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to make a short styrofoam duct from the back of the chiller to the wall vent, and the HVAC tape sounds like it would be good to hold it together. I imagine it will be modified as I go along after I see what works for me. No idea what other people with chillers do to get rid of their exhaust.

I don't have any experience using a chiller so I may be way off base here, but if it's just made to vent out the back it might not build enough static pressure to push the hot air through the return if your A/C isn't running. I would probably fabricate a box with a small duct booster fan that blows (or pulls) air from the room across the exhaust vent to the register.

I don't have any experience using a chiller so I may be way off base here, but if it's just made to vent out the back it might not build enough static pressure to push the hot air through the return if your A/C isn't running. I would probably fabricate a box with a small duct booster fan that blows (or pulls) air from the room across the exhaust vent to the register.

Correct you are. I forgot to mention I'm putting a duct-booster fan at the vent. Trying to be careful not to put negative pressure on the chiller vent at the same time...

Back
Top Bottom