need ideas please

woodenhorse

this is what i have,12 cfl 2700k 24 watt,6 cfl 6500k 24 watt,a box of 3feet x 5 feet x6feet high,im planning on growing for personal use(i meant for my whole family),can u suggest which sytem should i use,coz im growing it in 1 corner of storage room.plus,i cant spent a lot,but since its very hot,i guess i have to have a proper air circulation(average room temp is at 34 C).i also have dozen of cpu fans(which i can i use for DIY intake n venting air)4 air bubbler unit(small),erm,i thinks that all i have in hand,minus the cash

If you have a limited budget I'd suggest starting the grow in soil. its cheap and easy to manage more or less. When you do have some money to spend, buy a nice water pump if you ever wanna switch to any form of hydro.
Based on observations of friends' CFL grows, high temps can cause your plants to stop growing due to heat shock.
Mount a few fans blowing over the bulbs and have one or two fans for the output. Try using only a passive intake vent and take some time to check if you need an intake fan too.
Happy growing

-Cerb

Im thinkin about starting a CFL grow, just small scale (1-2 plants) but my mind is boggled cause i can't decide how to set up. Im thinking 1x 125W 2700k & 1 x 125W 6400k, bearing in mind my cupboard is big enough to fit 4, but I'm only doing 2 as I want to gather experience before upgrading my equipment etc. Will the 2 bulbs work? Will they be powerfull enough to veg & flower? If not i can always get another few CLFs for sidelighting.. The cost of everything is not what i'd call cheap, especially when im on a low budget.. so i'm looking for the cheapest possible way, although i need to be stealthy. Also.. carbon filter.... for 2 plants do i NEED one? is there any other alternative? As the CF is NOT cheap but i know it would definetly hide the smell..

So...

1. Will the 2 bulbs i mentioned be enough or will i need a few more CFLs?
2. Is a carbon filter a MUST have or have any you guys got some advice on what to use instead of a CF?
3. For Growing in the UK, i was thinking of using BioBizz All-Mix, Is this any good & what Nutes will i need for the soil?

If you hadn't noticed i'm new to growing so im open to any advice, & any help would be muchly appreciated :)

Im thinkin about starting a CFL grow..

1.the two 125W bulbs will be enough for roughly 2-3 medium sized plants. some side-lights will come in handy but watch out for the distance between the plant and the bulbs. burnt leaves and (please no!) scorched flowers are common with CFLs. if the distance is too big the plants will stretch and eventually get burned if not kept in check (matter of hours during stretching phases). Use both during veg and flower. during 12/12 some extra 27K 32W bulbs will help a lot. Keep some good fans handy for cooling the CFLs as they warm up the growspace. Heatshock can become an issue.

2.a carbon filter helps, hands down. it helps even more if your grow closed has a good seal.if there's a big old intake hole in the cupboard its gonna smell. not as much as without a filter but it's there. Now as for the smell in general, during veg the smell is almost non-existent, not the smell of ganja but generic greenery. During the first 3-4 weeks of flowering there is little smell, the nutes smell more than the plan. the stench comes on close to harvest, and thats when the carbon filter shines. so if you're on a budget save some money for the future and get that CF. only remember there's no rush. You also have some fine DIY CF posts here on the forum, check em out. my opinion is that diy CFs are an option but the storebought will work 100%.

3. Regular potting soil works, for nutes I use Plagron Terra line. works well and never had any nute burn. They run at about 10€ for 1l cans. Terra Grow. Terra Bloom and p-k 13-14 for late flowering.

Hope the grow turns out well.

-Cerb

hi,i'm bck,i've been trying the wicking style,n it works(but the soil is too moist,n the wick rot in 2weeks),1st of all,sorry coz i dont have any pic to show,will learn on future how to upload.as for my 1st project(testing is more like it)i germinate 40 seed i get fr my own supply i bought,out of 40,8 germinate,n 3 still alive today,the other 5 just withered away,2 of the seedling is fr the greenish weed,1 fr the light brownish colored weed,(i call it the Phd weed,n madcow for the latter).as for all of them,they just grow in a 33c temp,i guess sativa do likes hot wether.anyway,thats all i can think of for now,will tell more about the plant in future,if it survive/.

hi,i'm bck,i've been trying the wicking style,n it works(but the soil is too moist,n the wick rot in 2weeks),1st of all,sorry coz i dont have any pic to show,will learn on future how to upload.as for my 1st project(testing is more like it)i germinate 40 seed i get fr my own supply i bought,out of 40,8 germinate,n 3 still alive today,the other 5 just withered away,2 of the seedling is fr the greenish weed,1 fr the light brownish colored weed,(i call it the Phd weed,n madcow for the latter).as for all of them,they just grow in a 33c temp,i guess sativa do likes hot wether.anyway,thats all i can think of for now,will tell more about the plant in future,if it survive/.

yeah dont use natural rope for wicks....some good quality nylons work well and dont rot ;)

Yeah, since you're just getting started, I'd run 1 plant at a time, seed one, let it run up. If it germinates after 2 weeks, and pops up for veg, then start a second. If the first fails, figure out what you did wrong, fix the problem, then try again. This way, eventually you'll have 2-4 plants going, with enough lead time to head off total loss of grow attempts.

Back
Top Bottom