Need some advice - please

mykelh1126

Hi everyone! I am a new and first time grower, just kind of a did it on a whim. I found a seed in a nug one day so I decided to germinate the seed and plant it. IT worked out well! Then my plant had an unfortunate accident in its second week of flowering, roughly about 3-4 weeks ago now, it was pulled from the ground by mistake and left on the ground not planted over night.

Once I saw what happened I quickly replanted and it took a good 1.5 weeks before I started to notice the plant being health again and it created a new little baby bud at the bottom! I am going to post pictures of what it looks like now and just curious from those of you with experience, how far do you think I am in the flowering stage and how long do you think I have? It is starting to get cold and realistically I probably have 4 weeks max outside before its too cold. Maybe 5.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!
DSCF02222.JPG
DSCF02245.JPG
DSCF02256.JPG
DSCF02213.JPG
DSCF02205.JPG
DSCF02194.JPG

Thanks again for all the advice / help!~

Re: Need some advice....please...

**BUMP**

Anyone have any advice / input? Even criticism would be accepted at this point...

Thanks...

Re: Need some advice....please...

TBH, I would say it looks good. I would think you only have a couple of weeks to go. If your gonna get technical, you should be watching trichomes for the color change. If not, then give it a week or two more and harvest it.

oh wow!! Thank you so much for responding! I am so glad to hear it looks good! It smells amazing too! I am so anxious to finally be able to test it in a few weeks!
Now I guess to read up on how to harvest and cure!

Thanks again for the advice! My week, day, month and year have now been made. haha.

oh wow!! Thank you so much for responding! I am so glad to hear it looks good! It smells amazing too! I am so anxious to finally be able to test it in a few weeks!
Now I guess to read up on how to harvest and cure!

Thanks again for the advice! My week, day, month and year have now been made. haha.

Look how frosty your leaves and buds are! That's insanity right there man. It's doing really well, and should be pretty potent smoke. :thumb:

So I was just looking at the flowers or the biggest flower and though I noticed that the trichomes are starting to turn amber color. I dunno if I am just putting that in my head but I just don't think they should be changing quite yet. It seems like the buds still have a week or two. Should I cover for 48 hours in dark then cut? Or maybe just cut the biggest flower off?
I will take a picture tomorrow morning when its not quite so dark and I can really get them good in the picture. Does bud size matter at all or go strictly off of the trichome color?

Thanks!

Ok cool, thank you so much for that comparison picture! None of them, as far as I can tell, are that amber color yet. I think they are starting to get milky though. But the buds don't really look all that developed but maybe they will take form as it drys and cures?

What else should I do before harvest? Like the week before, 48 hours before and 24 hours before? Since it is outdoors, I heard the best time to cut the plant is right away in the morning before the sun comes up?

Here are a few updated pictures from today!

Thanks in advance to everyone and all of those that have helped thus far! It is mucho appreciated!

DSCF02927.JPG
DSCF02866.JPG
DSCF02835.JPG
DSCF02794.JPG
DSCF02823.JPG

in the last picture, if you look at the top of the flower, the two little pistils turned red and the tip of the bud is starting to form. So I am guessing I just need to be patient. I just am really worried about letting it go too long...which is worse; too long or too earlier? as far as harvesting the plant goes...

thanks again everyone!

DSCF02913.JPG
DSCF02908.JPG
DSCF02897.JPG

sorry, here a couple shots of the littlest flower at the bottom of the plant. I feel as though it definitely won't be developed by the time the rest of the flowers are finished...kind of weird, but would it still be smoke-able in the long run? I have been smoking pot for about 15 years now, however this is my ABSOLUTE first time growing a plant and really growing anything. I tried to grow cantaloupe the past two summers with no success so I am actually very surprised I got this to work out so well, I think that is why I am so paranoid about it working out haha. (sorry, rambling, kind of stoned).

Thanks everyone...have a wonderful day! and keep checking back every couple days for new pics! I will update throughout the entire process and the finished product!

I have noticed that some of the tips of the smaller leaves attached to the flowers are turning a darkish purple / black color....what could be causing this? The cold weather or lack or too much water? This is really starting to worry me especially since I should be done within the next two weeks....

thanks!

Ok cool, thank you so much for that comparison picture! None of them, as far as I can tell, are that amber color yet. I think they are starting to get milky though. But the buds don't really look all that developed but maybe they will take form as it drys and cures?

What else should I do before harvest? Like the week before, 48 hours before and 24 hours before? Since it is outdoors, I heard the best time to cut the plant is right away in the morning before the sun comes up?

Here are a few updated pictures from today!

Thanks in advance to everyone and all of those that have helped thus far! It is mucho appreciated!

If they're starting to turn cloudy/milky, then you have several weeks to go still. The buds will pack on weight as the plant matures more throughout the flowering phase. Drying upside down will help develop more of a teardrop bud shape you commonly see.

For smaller buds, I would suggest watering 1-2 days before harvest. For larger denser buds I suggest watering several days before harvest. You want the smaller plant to dry slower, and the larger plant to dry a little faster. If a plant dries too fast, it can be harsh when smoked. If it dries too slow, your buds can mold.

Harvesting can be done a ton of different ways. Whole plant. Stem by stem. Whatever you're comfortable with. I just harvested 2 plants, 2 completely different ways, and should have no problems with either one. I harvest when my lights are on. But others prefer to harvest when lights are off.

in the last picture, if you look at the top of the flower, the two little pistils turned red and the tip of the bud is starting to form. So I am guessing I just need to be patient. I just am really worried about letting it go too long...which is worse; too long or too earlier? as far as harvesting the plant goes...

thanks again everyone!

Pistils turning color is just a sign of the plant maturing, nothing more really.
If you harvest too early, your Cannabis will lack potency. If you harvest too late, you will end up with a heavy couchlock stone. The amber trichomes are a sign of the beginning of THC degradation.

I have noticed that some of the tips of the smaller leaves attached to the flowers are turning a darkish purple / black color....what could be causing this? The cold weather or lack or too much water? This is really starting to worry me especially since I should be done within the next two weeks....

thanks!

The purple is caused by the cold, Labex and Kola are absolutely right. I've read that not ALL strains can do this, but it happens usually when temps drop below 50-55F 10-12.7C. It's caused by a pigment known as anthocyanin showing through as the chlorophyll breaks down from the colder temperatures.

Awesome! THank you guys so much for all the info and comments! It has been pretty cold the past few days, mid 50s in the day and low 40s at night. I actually cover the plant at night so it is even more dark, especially since it is outside this ensures the 12 hours of darkness. After next week I should not have to do that anymore but I may so it doesnt freeze at night.

I cannot wait! I hope its done by the end of sept! haha...I am not very patient, this is killing me!

Thanks again!!

Hey guys, just another quick question! I tried doing some searching but was unable to find an exact answer to this question.

It is starting to look like one of the flowers that is most mature is started to turn an amberish color, in regards to its trichomes. Is it legit to cut one flower and leave the other ones still on the plant to mature some more? The one looks like the trichomes are turning really cloud and even a few amber and don't want it to over ripen, I guess for lack of a better word.

Thanks!

In regards to cold weather What temp should be a concern for damage. Tonight is supposed to go down to 1 deg celcius (after tonight the temp will be going back up to about 7c at night) and i just fed them yesterday. They are all different strains. Should i have my watering system (hose with holes drilled) on all night(just dripping) due to the reduced temp or will they be okay? How big do the flowers get Karona diameter? I have one plant that has 3- 2 inch diameter tops by 18 inches long but on the 24th the sun will be below 12 hrs a day so i figure i will see more growth after that time.
I found on two other plants that 1 flower on each had gone all brown and lost it's colour. Kinda rotted it looked what causes this? It was only one all others are beauty's Please let me know some info please

Hey guys, just another quick question! I tried doing some searching but was unable to find an exact answer to this question.

It is starting to look like one of the flowers that is most mature is started to turn an amberish color, in regards to its trichomes. Is it legit to cut one flower and leave the other ones still on the plant to mature some more? The one looks like the trichomes are turning really cloud and even a few amber and don't want it to over ripen, I guess for lack of a better word.

Thanks!

There are several parts of a bud. You have pistils, calyxes, trichomes, and sugar leaves. You primarily want to smoke the flower of the plant, which is the calyxes, pistils and trichomes covering the calyxes. The sugar leaves can give your smoke a harsh taste due to the chlorophyll levels, and most growers highest suggest that they be removed as much as possible. Since these sugar leaves are removed from the equation, we want to ONLY examine the trichomes on the calyxes, since on many strains they will develop and mature at completely different rates.

Case in point, I grew a Cali Jack strain, the trichomes on the leaves were 50% amber 50% cloudy, and most people would harvest at this point or earlier, however on the calyxes themselves the trichomes were mostly cloudy, some clear (you will always have some clears as the plant produces more), and a few were just starting to turn amber, as they had a yellowish tint.

Some people will actually harvest parts of a plant as they mature. I prefer to do a whole plant harvest, and as they dry, I trim the buds from the stems and place them into the curing jar at different times.

In regards to cold weather What temp should be a concern for damage. Tonight is supposed to go down to 1 deg celcius (after tonight the temp will be going back up to about 7c at night) and i just fed them yesterday. They are all different strains. Should i have my watering system (hose with holes drilled) on all night(just dripping) due to the reduced temp or will they be okay? How big do the flowers get Karona diameter? I have one plant that has 3- 2 inch diameter tops by 18 inches long but on the 24th the sun will be below 12 hrs a day so i figure i will see more growth after that time.
I found on two other plants that 1 flower on each had gone all brown and lost it's colour. Kinda rotted it looked what causes this? It was only one all others are beauty's Please let me know some info please

For your question, you have several issues not related to this topic, my advice would be to make your own post, and include pictures where applicable. It'll keep things less confusing in this topic. But it sounds like you might have a bud rot problem with the brown color. And those temperatures are WAYYYYYY cold for Cannabis. Please make a post with pictures of the problems as soon as possible so we can help you out!

Back
Top Bottom