Need some help with starting a closet setup

mkkm

Hi!

First off, thanks for this amazing forum, there's so much information making it really easy to get started.

So I have this closet that has no door and I need to cover it and fill it up!

The closet has a top shelf (the height is 29", kinda impressive for that kind of shelf) that I intend to close to use as a separate area either for cloning or drying.. I guess I will need to separate this area from the main area but right now I'm focusing on the main area of the closer which is 36" x 26.5" x 72". Giving me 6.625 sqft area to grow with. I'm thinking of getting a 400w HID setup in there, giving me 60w per sqft which should be enough. (correct me if I'm wrong) The pole is already there to hang the light on, it's going to be awesome.

QTLfj.jpg

What I need to do:

1) Close the closet: What would be a cheap yet effective way of doing this? What materials are good for this? I don't want to build a door, I'm just looking to install some kind of reflective on the inside fabric that won't let the light go out and that will keep the closet hermetic. I still need to be able to open it and it will need an air intake and exhaust. Not sure what material to look at for this purpose and I'm not sure how to properly install it.

2) Figure out which fan I will need: I've done some research and I think a 4" x 12" Carbon Filter with a duct fan that goes with it should be enough.. or should I go with 6"? I'll need to figure out a way to install that as well, I do have a few ideas that I need to think through but maybe this image could give you more experienced people here some ideas that could be very helpful to me! It's tempting to have the exhaust fan with carbon filter on the top shelf but I doubt that would be effective, it's probably better to install it under it. but then I won't be able to use the top area as a separate grow room later. I need help with this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Can't edit your posts after a while? Hmm that's annoying because I didn't want to double post.

Okay so here's my idea for the fan and carbon filter:

The top shelf there can be moved, I would drag it toward the front of the closer leaving a good gap at the rear. This is where I would set the carbon filter. I'm still not sure if it's a good idea to drag air from both underneat the shelf and above it. Of course if it drags air from above, I would also let the air from main area to flow go all the way up there... maybe a fan along the filter could help to move the air from the main area to the top. Here are some images, imagine the filter and the fan are connected.. and yeah imagine those rectangles are the actual equipment.

View of the top shelf. The height of the top area is 29"
Or3JK.jpg

View from under
8yfvv.jpg

View from the side
9CK40.jpg

As for a way to close the area, I found out about Panda Film which would block the light and it's white in the inside. I'm wondering if I need more than that.

I'm not too concerned about the size of the carbon filter (or should I?), also it's probably going to be shorter than what I drew on the pictures. I think the main issue is to have a fan strong enough to take care of both the main area and the area above it.

36" x 26.5" x 72" (main area) = 39.75 cubic feet
+
36" x 26.5" x 29" (top shelf) = 16.01 cubic feet

Together: 55.76 cubic feet

If they weren't connected, I would be worried to spread the power of the exhaust fan in two, half for the main area and half for the top shelf while these 2 areas are not the same size at all, but since air will flow in both areas, I guess I will be fine... and I can always add a small fan to help move some air from the main area to the top area. I also like that I can have the filter in the back of the closet and the fan sitting on the shelf. This seems like a good plan.

I guess insulating foam with possibly panda film inside is the way to go. As for the walls inside, would it be worth it to cover it with foil or paint it with a reflective white paint?

Now I'm still not sure how I want to use the top shelf:

1) drying area... but it might be too hot for this, I'll have to see that first It would be great because everything will go through the carbon filter.

2) area for clones with some CFL lights

I'll focus on setting up the main area first and then see. I'll keep posting images and comments as I go, hopefully this thread can help someone else someday.. also, if you guys have suggestions, advices, anything! I'm all hear! Thanks

If you could maybe have the filter inside of the wall and wall mount your fan? Could clear up some grow space, just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom