420 Magazine Background

Neem oil application advice please!

Ninjafox44

Hi all, Im a noob and this is my first grow, Im near the end of week 7 of flower in coco coir.

I have 10 plants in 11ltr pots, indoor grow, 3 nights ago I noticed while watering some tiny long white thin mites crawling about the top of my biobizz coco coir. I managed to get one under the microscope, I reckon its either fungus gnat larvae or thrips larvae. After hours of research I decided to buy neem oil and diatomaceous earth. the D.E will arrive tom hopefully, The neem oil arrived today and I have some dr bromners liquid castile and a recipe to use as a soil soak, I wont use as a foilar spray as I dont think its needed but I was wondering if anyone could help me in regards to when I should treat them (feeding and lights on is in a couple hours, 7pm UK) and how much volume I should give each pot.

I read that it shouldnt be done at feeding time so not to mix with nutes (synthetic) and to do it when soil is dry, but since Im using coco coir I know never to let it dry out. Im thinking to feed them as usual then perhaps treat them just before sleep? I was thinking to do once then once more 2 days later and continuing with the D.E.

Any advice would be great as Im a bit stressed lol.

Pat Puffer

420 Support
420 Staff
Welcome to the site Ninja!

I use Neem as a weekly foliar application and I have sprayed my bonsai soil for gnats with no ill effect.

1 liter warm water / 1 teaspoon Neem.

At this point i start at 5-7 drops of a plant based soap (surfactant). I use Ecos Free & Clear. Dr. Bonner's may be a touch different on concentrations.

Warm water? Not so hot it will burn roots but warm enough it will help mix the oil.

5-7 drops of soap per liter? I add soap starting at 5-7 drops per liter and I always find it is not enough. I keep adding until i get some bubbles on the top and the mixture becomes milky.

This is the mixing instructions for a foliar application as per RoyalQueenSeeds. This mixture can also be used as a soil drench. I have never routinely used this mixture as a soil drench but have applied it and saw no ill effects.

This concoction is oil based and I find that scary to be pouring on my roots. Diatomaceous Earth is a keen approach as well, but the efficacy of the powder is negated when it is wet.

Being this close to harvest i would dust the soil with D.E. and harvest in a couple weeks.

Going forward, if you are doing the organic thing, consider Nutty's approach incorporating Neem Seed Meal in your soil, even if just as a top dressing. Or perhaps get a predatory insect that will feed on these critters.

Last edited:

Pat Puffer

420 Support
420 Staff
Beware the NPK value of the Neem Seed Meal. Down To Earth Neem has a value of 6-1-2. This is also a slow release source of nitrogen and will affect your soil nutrient level as well as act as an organic pesticide.

NuttyProfessor

Grow Journal of the Month: Mar 2021
Beware the NPK value of the Neem Seed Meal. Down To Earth Neem has a value of 6-1-2. This is also a slow release source of nitrogen and will affect your soil nutrient level as well as act as an organic pesticide.
that's why i only add a little and never and bloodmeal to any of my mixes , its not a lot just enough for that curry type smell with the smell of the seaweed ,
i put it in my first top dress also

Ninjafox44

I was kinda thinkin that it would be more harmless to the roots at this stage than perhaps effecting resin/trichomes. I cant afford nor have the time for alternative options right now but ill keep cake in mind. have also just found out about cinnamon which I have, Im basically trying to wing it a couple more weeks if I can.

NuttyProfessor

Grow Journal of the Month: Mar 2021
Well...the last post was more for the OP and not so much you as this is definitely not your 1st or last rodeo. ;) LOL...but uh yeah, i probably got more questions for you than info for you. Hahahahaha.
lol sorry man :laugh: i should have knew but i am stoned really stoned today , :ganjamon: its the only way to deal with shit lol

Pat Puffer

420 Support
420 Staff
@Ninjafox44

I re-read my earlier post I did not clarify to dust the SOIL. I only said to dust with D.E.

I do not recommend spraying or putting anything on your buds at this point. Forgive the confusion I have caused.

Top Bottom