Neem oil application advice please!

Ninjafox44

420 Member
Hi all, Im a noob and this is my first grow, Im near the end of week 7 of flower in coco coir.

I have 10 plants in 11ltr pots, indoor grow, 3 nights ago I noticed while watering some tiny long white thin mites crawling about the top of my biobizz coco coir. I managed to get one under the microscope, I reckon its either fungus gnat larvae or thrips larvae. After hours of research I decided to buy neem oil and diatomaceous earth. the D.E will arrive tom hopefully, The neem oil arrived today and I have some dr bromners liquid castile and a recipe to use as a soil soak, I wont use as a foilar spray as I dont think its needed but I was wondering if anyone could help me in regards to when I should treat them (feeding and lights on is in a couple hours, 7pm UK) and how much volume I should give each pot.

I read that it shouldnt be done at feeding time so not to mix with nutes (synthetic) and to do it when soil is dry, but since Im using coco coir I know never to let it dry out. Im thinking to feed them as usual then perhaps treat them just before sleep? I was thinking to do once then once more 2 days later and continuing with the D.E.

Any advice would be great as Im a bit stressed lol.

Welcome to the site Ninja!

I use Neem as a weekly foliar application and I have sprayed my bonsai soil for gnats with no ill effect.

1 liter warm water / 1 teaspoon Neem.

At this point i start at 5-7 drops of a plant based soap (surfactant). I use Ecos Free & Clear. Dr. Bonner's may be a touch different on concentrations.

Warm water? Not so hot it will burn roots but warm enough it will help mix the oil.

5-7 drops of soap per liter? I add soap starting at 5-7 drops per liter and I always find it is not enough. I keep adding until i get some bubbles on the top and the mixture becomes milky.

This is the mixing instructions for a foliar application as per RoyalQueenSeeds. This mixture can also be used as a soil drench. I have never routinely used this mixture as a soil drench but have applied it and saw no ill effects.

This concoction is oil based and I find that scary to be pouring on my roots. Diatomaceous Earth is a keen approach as well, but the efficacy of the powder is negated when it is wet.

Being this close to harvest i would dust the soil with D.E. and harvest in a couple weeks.

Going forward, if you are doing the organic thing, consider Nutty's approach incorporating Neem Seed Meal in your soil, even if just as a top dressing. Or perhaps get a predatory insect that will feed on these critters.

Beware the NPK value of the Neem Seed Meal. Down To Earth Neem has a value of 6-1-2. This is also a slow release source of nitrogen and will affect your soil nutrient level as well as act as an organic pesticide.

Beware the NPK value of the Neem Seed Meal. Down To Earth Neem has a value of 6-1-2. This is also a slow release source of nitrogen and will affect your soil nutrient level as well as act as an organic pesticide.
that's why i only add a little and never and bloodmeal to any of my mixes , its not a lot just enough for that curry type smell with the smell of the seaweed ,
i put it in my first top dress also

Well...the last post was more for the OP and not so much you as this is definitely not your 1st or last rodeo. ;) LOL...but uh yeah, i probably got more questions for you than info for you. Hahahahaha.

I was kinda thinkin that it would be more harmless to the roots at this stage than perhaps effecting resin/trichomes. I cant afford nor have the time for alternative options right now but ill keep cake in mind. have also just found out about cinnamon which I have, Im basically trying to wing it a couple more weeks if I can.

Well...the last post was more for the OP and not so much you as this is definitely not your 1st or last rodeo. ;) LOL...but uh yeah, i probably got more questions for you than info for you. Hahahahaha.
lol sorry man :laugh: i should have knew but i am stoned really stoned today , :ganjamon: its the only way to deal with shit lol

@Ninjafox44

I re-read my earlier post I did not clarify to dust the SOIL. I only said to dust with D.E.

I do not recommend spraying or putting anything on your buds at this point. Forgive the confusion I have caused.

Back
Top Bottom