Neighbor Files Complaint Against Pot Shop

A business neighbor of Tehama Herbal Collective has filed a citizen's complaint with the city against the pot shop.

Chris Copley who owns a building at 1314 and 1316 Solano St., across the street from the medicinal marijuana dispensary went to City Hall on Monday and filed the complaint.

"I think it is wrong," Copley said. "I will file a civil suit if I have to."

Owner of the dispensary, Ken Prather, said on Wednesday he had never spoke to Copley about the marijuana dispensary and had no idea he had filed a complaint. The dispensary is located at 1317 Solano St.

"I have talked to all of my neighbors on the block and no one stated they had a problem with the dispensary," Prather said.

Tina Henson, owner of Tina Maries Beauty Salon, east of the dispensary, said she isn't forming an opinion until she has all the facts.

"I have talked to Mr. Prather and now I need to talk to City Hall," she said.

On the same block is Justice For All, owned by Jeanette Turner. She said the dispensary is a good thing.

"It's bringing people into town who otherwise wouldn't come here. The marijuana dispensary is bringing in revenue and paying taxes. Instead of the medicinal marijuana users going to Redding or Anderson they are coming here to Corning and bringing in revenue," Turner said.

Copley claims Prather is breaking federal laws and setting a bad example to the youth and children in the community.

"I am completely opposed to the dispensary," he said. "If we give them a business license, City Hall is saying it is OK."

Bill McFadden, a licensed pharmacist and owner of Clark's Drugs on Solano Street, has issues as well.

"My concern over the whole business with the dispensary in town is that I wonder who is accountable and regulating what is coming in and what is being sold."

He said marijuana is a drug and needs to be regulated just like any other prescription drug.

"I personally feel it should be legalized and we should tax the hell out of it," McFadden said.

He explained one of the medical benefits derived from marijuana is sold through pharmacies in a product named Marinol.

"It is extremely expensive but is covered by insurance," McFadden said. "I have and do dispense it from my pharmacy."

Prather, his wife Kathy and business partner Jason Labonte are operating without a city-issued business license, which was by City Planner John Stoufer.

"I denied the license on the basis a medical marijuana collective/dispensary is not listed as permitted use within city zoning ordinances," Stoufer said.

On Aug. 11 the City Council adopted an emergency ordinance prohibiting medical marijuana dispensaries, collectives or cooperatives in the city for a 45-day period during which the council will be gathering information on the issue.

Following their attorney's advise the Prathers have kept the business open despite the ordinance. On Aug. 13, Corning police Chief Tony Cardenas and one of his officers informed the Prathers they are in violation of a city ordinance and "are hereby ordered to immediately discontinue the operation of a medical marijuana collective."

The document, signed by Stoufer, explains if the business is not closed down, and the Prathers are found guilty of the infraction, they could be fined.

Know and go

• WHAT: A special informational meeting on the laws, rules and regulation concerning medical marijuana, collectives, cooperatives and dispensaries.
• WHEN: 6 p.m., Tuesday (regular city council meeting to follow at 7:30 p.m.)
• WHERE: City Council Chambers, 794 Third St.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Corning Observer
Author: Julie R. Johnson
Copyright: 2009 Freedom Communications

Back
Top Bottom