Nepal once had legal cannabis and HASH till the US gov paid

tintala

Plant of the Month: Third Place Winner
The Nepal government 40million$ to make it illegal, 1974 was when the usa govnmt paid them. There used to be legal hash shops in Kathmandu, where you could try the finest hashish in the world, safely and casualy. Once the hash wash made illegal , that put it in the hands of street thugs/heroin addicts. Now the protocol of the unsuspecting tourist , is to walk down the street in Thamel, kathmandu, and get haggled by these heroin dealers trying to sell all of the westerners hash and heroin. Mind you it's not even the "nice" opium that once laced the infamous"TEMPLE BALLS".

Now when a tourist wants hashish, you either have to know a saint, baba, or sadhu or you have to have get it off the streets from the dealers. Once there were around 30 hash shops in Kathamandu all striving to deal the best hash in the world, you could enter into the shop where they had hookahs set up and you could taste many varieties. Safely at your leisure. The signs on the shop once depicted the "quality" and committment of the shop owner.

Perhaps it was too many foreigners smuggling it outa the country into the USA that made the US govnmt bribe the KING OF NEPAL with 40million dollars in 1974. Or maybe it was the Nepalese soccer team that finally got busted trying to smuggle hash into America for the King. But , we all know that when you put the market into the hands of the "BLACK MARKET" bad things will follow.

Now, there must ly a hundred "westerners" in Nepalese Jails waiting for someone to bail them out with some sort of HUGE bribe. gone are days of safely obtaining what was once one of the proudest markets for the Nepalese, the Notorious TEMPLE BALLS. Sure one can still get hash, but it's surely isn't of the quality and casual venue it once used to be.

I am fortunate enough to live in Nepal part time, as an American, with a Nepali wife and a family with a house that we own. I am proud to boast my relations with Nepal , still the politics of 1974 perpetaully make me wonder about the years of the Legal Hashish.

Perhaps one day , like alcohol, this benign substance shall make it into the spot light again and Nepal will regurgitate it's once precious "TEMPLE BALL". Until then, happy hash hunting in Nepal, be careful, and please whatever you do, DO NOT SMUGGLE HASH OUT OF THE COUNTRY!

VC-853F.JPG

MVC-1232F.JPG

Please tell me that one group is preserving this countries strains. Hope to see them at auction or for sale in the near future. No time to waste. Bron

freak , sweet calendars,dig those, i always see different variations , would make great shirts for ser.

The calendar pics came from a contribution to this site by "Medical Marijuana". You can make a t-shirt transfer from it for your own use. A little Photoshop or other imaging software, a 50/50 cotton/poly t-shirt, and an iron-on transfer is all it takes.

I think I met you in Kathmandu in the mid-70s.
There were some guys making oil. Tommy was the oldest "brother".
I lived in Mayor Mr. Brilsingh's compound at Swayambhu.

Just recently I have wondered if in a few year things might change, allowing Nepal to as least play a role as a medical cannabis exporter. The new drug czar indicates he favors diplomacy over armed interference and is interesting in seeking new way for drug producing nations to develop legal industries.

How do the Maoist view the hash trade? Are foreigners actually being busted for smoking hash or possessing smaller quantities?

I think I met you in Kathmandu in the mid-70s.
There were some guys making oil. Tommy was the oldest "brother".
I lived in Mayor Mr. Brilsingh's compound at Swayambhu.

Just recently I have wondered if in a few year things might change, allowing Nepal to as least play a role as a medical cannabis exporter. The new drug czar indicates he favors diplomacy over armed interference and is interesting in seeking new way for drug producing nations to develop legal industries.

How do the Maoist view the hash trade? Are foreigners actually being busted for smoking hash or possessing smaller quantities?

SABAS: I first visited NEpal in 1998. There are ALOT of guys making hash in Kathmandu! Swayambhu is just a mile from my house. I have lived in Nepal off and on for the last 10 years. The maoist are actually ganja farmers themselves. Taking 99% of the profits to pump into their regime. Especially in the remote villages where there are huge field of cannabis, not just hemp but ganja as well. Most of these places are under taxation from the maoist. Whether its hemp or ganja. If you bringing an oxcart full of hemp to KTM, you gonna be taxed. The Hash trade is one of the biggest in the world. Since the USA made it illegal in 74' , the king was found guilty of smuggling in to the USA with the NEpalese soccer team, they were busted in LA. HEnce the urgent action to stop it. I think once the USA makes hemp/cannabis a viable commodity , then it should be potential globally, however, most countries allow the industrial farming of hemp except the USA. Nepal being a top producer. But as for ganja, it's already a "TOLERATED" substance in Nepal, cops do NOT go around raiding people homes for having ganja growing in their courtyard, in fact , alot of cops smoke hash. I would have to say at least 80% of the villages i have been to have at least one plant growing next the banana tree! I have seen plants growing right next to a police check point , I don't even think they knew what they were standing next too! So with a new attitude in America , I think cannabis will be a new "tourist trap" for NEpal, it sorta already is, but infuse a few coffee shops like Amsterdam and you'll have the "BEST" place in the world for a cannabis vacation. It's definatly one of the safest and "cannabis freindly" places I haev lived BY FAR. THE ONLY REASON A TOURIST IS harassed for cannabis is if they are smuggling it out of NEpal, other than that, SMOKE ON! No one cares if the westerner is smoking it, it's what they all expect anyway!

tintala

Thanks for the informative update!
In the 1970s, Kathmandu had plenty of hashesh cafes -- before A'dam opened them. I was there when it hashesh was legal and for a few years afterwards. It was the most wonderful place on earth! But Nepal hadn't developed tourism yet. It was mostly hippies and a few trekkers. The Snowman and the Yin-Yang were especially popular cafes. Not that many locals smoked, though. There were some local freaks, however. Now I hear it's very widespread.

I am a medical cannabis activist in Ventura, CA. See my website: Ventura Medical Marijuana, 420 Cannabis in Ventura County, Ojai, Ventura, Oxnard, Camarillo, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks

Has heroin problem subsided?

Thanks!

hi tintala
its great to read your all those wondering stories:smokin:...
well how long u been making research on the marijuana of nepals....probably.
i also somke a lots of marijuana and its total diferent varaties.
well i would like to know some of your research..and its resuslt that u made with the marihuan of nepal.:nomo:

hey there i am a resident of nepal and know a lot about hashish in nepal and you know to buy or to get hashish is a quick and really very cheap process you can get hashish in just within a hour though wherever you are in a whole nation with just less than 1$ you can get high yourself or your 5 frens for a whole day so its the paradise for the marijuana lovers

hey guys!
i was wondering if anyone could guide to some good hash in Kathmandu?
going to Kathmandu this summer, want to try the best strains. :D

Good luck! Quality control isn't very good. The ganja sucks. Some of the "pollen" on the street (Thamel) is pretty good, some not. Same with hashesh. Best to find a guide who brings in small qty, or go to the Jonsom or Mustang region. Don't even think about taking it out of Nepal. Please check out our Facebook page "Save Nepal, Liberate Cannabis."

Back
Top Bottom