Netting or yo-yo?

Uno

420 Member
Hi guys

just about to run a 48pot rdwc system. My question is should I net or use yo-yo. Space around will be limited. Not too sure on how I would successfully get through with the netting.

I’m currently running rdwc and am keen to use nets however with space tight am not sure how i would successfully be able to get to the back once net is over. Should I just carrying on and use yo-yo?

Nets are hard with hydro if you don't have good access on two sides. Yo-yo's give you more flexibility, unless you have loads of tops you need to support. @West Hippie might have something to offer here...
He’s running a reservoir, the net would be no problem. DWC is the net problem . Fixing to punch out from this work and ready for a buzzzz

I liked having yo-yos because I was still able to lift up and close the lid of my totes without issues. I left the yo-yos in "free spool" so they could take in and let out the slack as I picked up the lids to clean my totes with the water change. I do plan to make a ScroG net but attached to the lid so it moves with it as I lift the lid.

To be fair I prefer to grow large plants (purely because I’ve never scrog’d before)
Problem is I’ll have 32l buckets and will be 8 deep. I will have a small walkway in the middle so will be 4 either side. Stressing me out deciding these details.

I'm growing in soil and went with a net only to realize after I'm going to be doing some transplanting later on... stoner problems. Anyways nets seem like a pain in that regard. I'm thinking of just doing tomato cages next time or the bamboo stakes.

So we're talking about two nets? One each for four plants? If you don't need to lift the lids I'd say nets, or you better stock up on yo-yo's!

Or a shop vac, or some bulkhead valves (and a few other things). Or, if you're poor, a rubber hose or hand-pump siphon and some blocks to elevate your reservoir slightly above the floor to ensure that all of its liquid contents will drain via siphon effect.

BtW, when I was doing relatively sizeable (~8 ft.2) single plant SCROG grows, I found that, after I'd stopped filling the screen during the flowering stretch and had allowed the many tips to grow up through the screens... that the plant would pretty much hold itself up ;) . But that led to messes. It worked okay, though, when I was doing an actual reservoir change instead of a refill or drain/refill - just have the new reservoir cleaned/filled and ready to swap in immediately after you pull the current one out from under the plant. Which was... still messy - but so is life :rolleyes: .

A member said it best when they said ScroGs or nets are only good when they are for individual plants. This way you can still be able to move them if necessary.

The main thing I quickly learned was that, unless you're growing multiple clones from the same mother, one plant per screen is the only way to ensure that your entire screen is ready for harvest at the same time, and that the buds filling all of those holes are approximately the same size. Plus, it seems to me that it's a lot more convenient to saw through the "trunk" of a plant just below the level at which the branching starts, disconnect the whole screen from the walls(/etc.), and have a helper assist you with carrying that screen to the dining room table... than to willingly try to extract one plant from a multi-plant SCROG. The latter strikes me as being, potentially, the stuff nightmares are made of. If your screen has a solid frame, it's even better, because you can support it with the backs of chairs or something else and not have to deal with the... three dimensional aspect of the bits below the screen like you would if you simply set it on top of your table.

How many pots?
I use yoyos, but remember you need something overhead to hook the end to. I use the reflector of my light, but without that I would probably run out of options. I just used 30 in my last season. And they are much more adjustable, especially if they lock and aren't always under spring tension.

Back
Top Bottom