Nevil

Heard Nevil passed away.. I'm so shattered.. nobody done more (for me and you or you and I) . The only king of cannabis.

Wiki
Nevil Martin Schoenmakers was an Australian born cannabis breeder known for founding the first cannabis Seedbank, which was called "The Seed Bank of Holland", in the early 1980s in the Netherlands. This was also the first seed company to advertise directly to the public in High Times magazine. He passed away on 30th March 2019 in Osbourne Park, Western Australia.

Biography
Born in 1957 in Perth, Western Australia to Dutch parents, Schoenmakers moved to the Netherlands in 1976. There he started growing cannabis for personal use. He soon discovered that the commercially available Thai, Colombian and African strains did not perform well in the Netherlands's northern European climate, nor indoors under artificial lighting. Realizing that the solution to the problem was better genetics, he decided that the best way to obtain good genetics was to start a seed bank, and in 1984 Schoenmakers established "The Seedbank." It was around this time that he met Dave Watson, a cannabis collector and breeder from California better known as "Sam the Skunkman." Schoenmakers was able to purchase from Watson the premier Californian varieties "Original Haze", "Skunk #1", "Early Girl" and "California Orange." From then on, Schoenmakers collected many potent cannabis strains and crossed them to create his own strains. In the process he was able to cross equatorial sativas with Afghani indicas to create strains that were more suited to the temperate climates and indoor growing mediums of his European and U.S. customers. By 1986, Schoenmakers's cannabis seed company had become a runaway success with sales to more than 15,000 different growers in the United States alone.
In 1990 Schoenmakers became a target of the DEA Operation Green Merchant and an indictment had been lodged in New Orleans, charging him with the sale of marijuana seeds to undercover agents and indoor growers in the New Orleans area. On July 24, 1990, he was arrested by the Australian authorities at the request of the U.S. government while visiting family in Perth. Schoenmakers was incarcerated in Fremantle jail for almost a year without bail while awaiting his extradition hearing. On June 21, 1991, just weeks before the date of his Federal Court hearing, he was finally granted bail and subsequently disappeared from Australia. For some time after Schoenmakers's return to the Netherlands, he was on the FBI's most wanted list, but because his activities were legal under Dutch law his extradition was refused and the charges were ultimately dropped. In 1991 Schoenmakers sold The Seed Bank to Sensi Seeds where he worked for a short time as their head breeder, before founding the Greenhouse Seed company with Arjan. By 1998, and widely regarded as the most successful modern cannabis breeder with multiple High Times Cannabis Cup wins, Schoenmakers sold his share of Greenhouse Seeds and left the limelight to focus on other interests.
In recent years, Schoenmakers has become involved in the movement to legalise medicinal cannabis in Australia. He recently coauthored a submission to a NSW government inquiry into the matter.

In popular culture
Schoenmakers was described by High Times magazine in 1985 as the "King of Cannabis."[5]he was the first cannabis breeder to export cannabis seeds from the Netherlands to the rest of the world, and is credited with creating many of the most popular award winning strains, such as Nevil's Haze,[6] Northern Lights Haze, Super Silver Haze, Nevil's Skunk, Super Skunk, Silver Pearl, Silver Haze and many others. His breeding with Northern Lights, a mostly Indica strain originally developed in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, became an inspiration for indoor Indicas, and the Northern Lights genetics are found in the pedigrees of nearly all of the best modern Indica lines. He is best remembered for the F1 hybrid Northern Lights 5 X Haze. This hybrid and its daughters have dominated the Cannabis Cup from the 1980s to the present day. The original Northern Lights 5 X Haze plant of Nevil's has been living on through clones[citation needed] and still wins championship awards. It is this cross that led to many of the modern medicinal strains that are popular today

Heard Nevil passed away.. I'm so shattered.. nobody done more (for me and you or you and I) . The only king of cannabis.
Grizz, I share your sense of loss. Nevil’s genetics changed my life back in 1989 when I received my seeds from his Seedbank. The really weird part of this story is I’ve had the F2’s I made of those seeds in my refrigerator since ‘89 and I just recently tried sprouting a batch. They made me nervous because they weren’t popping. Finally, I got several to sprout. Turns out, they started sprouting the day I found out Nevil had passed. Weird timing, but I embrace that weird timing with reverence. So, I feel your pain and understand your feeling of loss. ☮️ 2U.

Thanks mate.. surprised nobody else wrote their condolences, after everything he did, the seeds he got to American growers, the heat he had come to him and shit he went through because of it.. ifyou grow, should know you owe him a thankyou, ..might be/hopefully there's another thread on here somewhere ..that's awesome about the seeds sprouting...do you remember strain you made f2 with? Look after them mate, hopefully something really nice shows up ..

I
Thanks mate.. surprised nobody else wrote their condolences, after everything he did, the seeds he got to American growers, the heat he had come to him and shit he went through because of it.. ifyou grow, should know you owe him a thankyou, ..might be/hopefully there's another thread on here somewhere ..that's awesome about the seeds sprouting...do you remember strain you made f2 with? Look after them mate, hopefully something really nice shows up ..
I absolutely owe Nevil a HUGE thank you! 30 years later, and I’m still geeking out about his work. About my Nevil purchase and seeds..... it’s the NL5XSK1. I have a current journal going with them now. They’re doing great. 4 weeks into flowering so far and they are exuding that super unique classic smell that I’ve yet to find in modern breeds. Here’s one of girls. She was asleep in my fridge for 30 years. I’m honored to share your passion. ☮

Attachments

• 3FD737EC-3C3B-44C8-8619-23515326C709.jpeg
    3FD737EC-3C3B-44C8-8619-23515326C709.jpeg
    689.5 KB · Views: 221
Here’s a better photo with the HPS turned off. Nevil’s Northern Lights#5 X Skunk #1. This frosty girl is 30 days into 12/12. She is from an F2 seed that I created in 1989. Stored in refrigerator until April of this year. I regret not ordering several of his breeds.

Attachments

• E293CE2D-9ACB-4F7D-8F9F-04B08E242692.jpeg
    E293CE2D-9ACB-4F7D-8F9F-04B08E242692.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 192
Dude I’m curious did you do anything special to get them to sprout? I have some NL seeds that are labelled from.... 2001 if I remember right. Last time I tried, none of the seeds opened- so I’ve been waiting till I have maybe time to research more and try a few special methods.

Dude I’m curious did you do anything special to get them to sprout? I have some NL seeds that are labelled from.... 2001 if I remember right. Last time I tried, none of the seeds opened- so I’ve been waiting till I have maybe time to research more and try a few special methods.
Hey Weaselcracker,
I did a few things differently with these seeds. I was really nervous about them sprouting because of their age for sure. The first thing I did when I removed them from the refrigerator was to let them sit at room temperature for 24 hours. After that I put them in a cup of 6.8 ph adjusted water. They all floated and I thought that wasn’t a good sign. I soaked them overnight. In the morning I was glad to see that most of the seeds had sunk to the bottom. The remaining floating seeds sunk when I tapped them with my finger. I removed them and put them in a damp paper towel and sealed that in a ziplock.
Five days passed. Nothing. No split seed husks. Nothing. Lifeless dark seeds staring back at me. I was preparing to start a new batch and use sandpaper and the scaring approach. But I decided to give this first batch a few more days. I tried an experiment at this point as well. I got some of my organic potting mix (fox farm ocean pro)and sprinkled just a pinch amongst the seeds. Less than a 1/8 teaspoon. Just enough to “flavor” the paper towel and stain it dirty. The next day met me with surprise and sweet success. Half the seeds had split and I could see the familiar little white tongues! The 30 year old seeds were alive! Like Lazarus coming forth. This kid was trippin. Doing the happy dance. I can’t claim that my experiment with the pinch of soil was a contributing factor or not. I can only report what I did and the results. I achieved a 60 to 70 percent germination rate. I did notice that they behaved like 30 year old seeds. They seemed to have to fight a bit more than new seeds. I should’ve used a very light seedling mix. I lost a few seedlings due to my heavy mix. I ended up with 8 fine seedlings in the end. I’m still amazed they popped and can say my storage method proved to be adequate. I likely would’ve had a higher germination rate if I had scratch them up with sandpaper.

How were your old 2001 seeds stored? Cold storage?

By 1986, Schoenmakers's cannabis seed company had become a runaway success with sales to more than 15,000 different growers in the United States alone. Steve Hagars "cannabis castle article spelled doom for Nevil" conveniently revealing how much money he was making how many seeds he sent out and of course the money wrapped in carbon paper which by the way doesn't hide anything but makes it easier to find.

In 1990 Schoenmakers became a target of the DEA Operation Green Merchant and an indictment had been lodged in New Orleans, charging him with the sale of marijuana seeds to undercover agents and indoor growers in the New Orleans area. Steve hagar bram frank peter gorman and ed rosenthal were subpoenaed and with their information the grand jury got the prosecutor the indictment
On July 24, 1990, he was arrested by the Australian authorities at the request of the U.S. government while visiting family in Perth. Schoenmakers was incarcerated in Fremantle jail for almost a year without bail while awaiting his extradition hearing. nevil was held under special circumstances and what were the special circumstances? he had to serve time from a earlier charge of selling dope to a minor in 1976... at the hearing his council said that the seed bank was not responsible. who was?
On June 21, 1991, just weeks before the date of his Federal Court hearing, he was finally granted bail and subsequently disappeared from Australia. so are you telling me that a judge that new he was a flight risk gave him bail????
For some time after Schoenmakers's return to the Netherlands, he was on the FBI's most wanted list, but because his activities were legal under Dutch law his extradition was refused and the charges were ultimately dropped. the usa has a bilateral treaty with the Netherlands in it...it says that you cannot use the mail for drugs or seeds...

Back
Top Bottom