New 4 x 4 grow tent build

Brett Blaze

For my next grow I am changing from the 2 x 2 grow closet to a 4 x 4 tent. I live in a desert city and travel for business so I am trying to provide one year's worth of product with one grow during the winter and holiday season. I also want to do both a Sativa and Indica strain. Total needed would be 16 oz (8 oz each strain).

I am also changing to an under current type DWC with a four 8 gal buckets because I want to insure I don't have to worry about water levels while a travel. My trips are generally less that 4 days total per trip. Towards the end of the last grow I came home to a dry tub after 3 days. I considered soil this time but even if I set up a auto watering system it would be too risky.

Equipment List:

VIVOSUN 48" x 48" x 80"
2 Mars Hydro Mars Pro II Cree 128s
Deep Water Culture (DWC) Hydroponic 4 Bucket 8 Gallons each
20 gallon top of reservoir
Tunze Osmolator auto top off system
iPower 6 Inch 350 CFM Exhaust Fan, Inline Carbon Filter and Ducting
VIVOSUN 6 Inch Clip on Oscillating Fan
Air Pumps and Air Stones

DWC (picture from vendor web page) and two Mars Hydro Mars Pro II Cree 128s

DWC System.jpg
IMG_4094__76702.1560453626.jpg
300-watt-panels-mars-hydro-mars-pro-ii-cree-128-w-switches-1_1024x1024.jpg

Tunze Osmolator and top off reservoir
202307-tunze-osmolator-level-controller-auto-top-off-a_1.jpg
Tunze Osmolator.jpg
6199ziWD87L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
202307-tunzeosmolator-f.jpg
61CWjQdqrpL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm going to start this weekend. I came home from a trip today to a few boxes. Lights and tent come tomorrow, a bunch of stuff on Saturday and the DWC will be here on Tuesday.

And we begin.

First was to clear the area. Using the 2 x 2 took up barely any room but I want to use it for a drying/curing cabinet so it's staying in the room.

IMG-0481-2.jpg

IMG-0482-2.jpg

I turned it sideways and left access to the back which has a large power strip. The filters are normally inside. I turned the fans around and mounted them on the back to allow more height for the light. See my grow journal from early this year. Link's in my signature.
IMG-0489-2.jpg

IMG-0508.jpg

The tent was pretty easy to setup. Only took 25 minutes from box to complete. Including time to stop and take pictures.

10:56 AM
IMG-0491-2.jpg

11:02 AM
IMG-0493-2.jpg

11:13 AM
IMG-0496-2.jpg

11:22 AM
IMG-0498-2.jpg

IMG-0499-2.jpg

I've read some comments with concerns the top support bars not strong enough. I haven't hung the lights yet but they seem pretty sturdy to me. The single bar will move towards the center to help support the lights.
IMG-0504.jpg

Waiting for the exhaust fan and filter to arrive for the next step. Should be here anytime now.

sourcing or fabbing a second bar, placed in mirror at about the same spot opposite as the first, is a far stronger and preferable design.

have a look at other tents and you will see this, or a heavier frame altogether.

Thanks. I had the same idea. I'm going to have to fab one. I looked online last night and the only one I found was on Ebay and had an arrival date of mid October. That's too long. My schedule is to start germination in the next two weeks.

Got the rest up the equipment I was expecting today . The DWC system comes next week.

First thing was to get the exhaust hooked up. iPower 6 Inch Air Carbon Filter and 350 CFM fan.

IMG-0510.jpg

IMG-0516.jpg

IMG-0518.jpg

Hanging the exhaust was a little tricky by myself. I should get it early next week. It felt pretty sturdy with the exhaust installed but the lights are 22 lbs each.

IMG-0520.jpg

Still haven't found a crossbar online and the one I saw on Ebay had 3 recent bad reviews of not delivering. I ordered one anyway. Let's see what happens. I also got some hook connectors but they are plastic. I didn't pay much for them. Just need some tubing or something similar.

s-l500.jpg

Unpacked and tested the lights. Bright suckers.

IMG-0532-2.jpg

IMG-0533.jpg

Also got a few new toys.

IMG-0524.jpg

IMG-0526.jpg

The tent had a few light leaks. Mainly in the zipper. It has a overlapping piece on the inside of the zipper that suppose to keep light from exiting. The area at the leak is slightly bent not allowing it to lie flat. Hopefully an easy fix. The vents and window are a little tricky to seal but with a little effort it can be done.

IMG-0546.jpg

Going to enjoy some of my White Widow and relax now. I'll hang the lights tomorrow and see how the crossbars handle it.

Installing the lights today.

The lights come with metal cables and spring hooks.
IMG-0547.jpg

I added some rope hangers.
IMG-0548.jpg

IMG-0549.jpg

I don't like how low the light hangs with the included cables,
IMG-0551.jpg

I have some small safety cables but only enough for one of the lights.
IMG-0552.jpg

IMG-0553.jpg

I ended up purchasing some more metal spring hooks but couldn't find pre-made short safety cables so I bought parts to make my own safety cables.

61gTJjSlbiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61D4T4no9RL._SL1500_.jpg
41XyIA2QUsL.jpg

It looks pretty stable with both lights hung. When I get the parts for the short cables I will raise the right light to match the left.

IMG-0554.jpg

IMG-0567.jpg

Even with the one vent open I have good negative pressure.
IMG-0568.jpg

Installed the oscillating fan and letting the tent run to test the temperature and RH. After an hour it was at 79 degrees F and 39% RH. Indoor room temperature is 75 F and 41%. I have a humidifier I can run to increase the RH. It's pretty dry where I live.
IMG-0570.jpg

Great looking setup. When it comes to worrying about the strength of your tent frame you need not worry.
I have a 4x8 Vivosun and there isn't a light on the market that I wouldn't trust hanging from the frame.
I posted a review on the Vivosun tents. As I explained there... you can't hang off the bars with your body weight or else I think they would kink but who's hanging bodies in their tent?
The Vivosun frame will hold all the gear you need. Don't worry about extra support.
Also I made a point in my review regarding the light leaks, especially around the zippers. Easy fix though. For the price I can't complain.

Great looking setup. When it comes to worrying about the strength of your tent frame you need not worry.
I have a 4x8 Vivosun and there isn't a light on the market that I wouldn't trust hanging from the frame.
I posted a review on the Vivosun tents. As I explained there... you can't hang off the bars with your body weight or else I think they would kink but who's hanging bodies in their tent?
The Vivosun frame will hold all the gear you need. Don't worry about extra support.
Also I made a point in my review regarding the light leaks, especially around the zippers. Easy fix though. For the price I can't complain.

Now after mounting the lights I agree. The two bars holding the light and exhaust are not putting much if any weight on the center support bar. If the two crossbars were bending even a little they would rest on the center bar. I can move the center bar without any weight on it from the crossbars.

I'll read your post on the zippers but I agree the fix should be simple. I need to go inside the tent and see what light comes in now that the tent has been up a few days.

I received the DWC system today but I'm going to wait until Sunday to continue setting it up. I scheduled next week off from work so I can finish the setup. I'm still considering just two plants and even purchased two extra 8 gallon buckets with lids to see if I can create a two bucket system that will fit inside the tent. I'm running out of room in the bedroom this is going in.

I had ten guitars mounted on the left wall. I already moved several but will eventually remove all of them from the wall. Too risky since each is valuable and one is a vintage 79 custom Les Paul. For all the guitarist out there you will understand. The tent is only going to be up from October through January. They will go back to their cases during this time.

group shot.jpg

IMG-0480-2.jpg

Since I am still considering two plants (although I am sure I will still grow 4 this season) I may change to a 2 x 4 next year. We will see how this goes.

Oh my. Those are some gorgeous Les Pauls. I’m not much on the Strats, but I’d shank someone for that SG!

The two Strats on the left are going to be sold. I am too a Gibson fan. I have two other guitars (below) on the living room wall. A Les Paul Black Beauty custom and a new limited edition Strat. I will keep the Strat in the living room though because it matches the decor. :rolleyes:

20181210_135237.jpg
Aqua Strat.JPG

Livingroom-1.jpg

Ok getting back on topic.

I received the DWC kit today and was a little disappointed about two areas so far. First thing was when trying to remove one of the lids that came already attached to the bucket was nearly impossible. I am not a small guy and there was no way this lid was coming off without damaging the lid.

The lid has two areas and is designed to allow one of the areas to lift up. Ideally it would be the small area without the basket, as was shown in his video, but the smaller lid is not designed for this.

lid.jpg

The larger side has a piece that you tear off allowing easy lid removal. The smaller side doesn't.

IMG-0580.jpg

IMG-0572.jpg

Without being able to remove this from the smaller lid it has a raised lip that locks the lid in place. These are removed with the piece you tear off the larger side.

IMG-0575.jpg

I was thinking about cutting a 3" hole in the smaller lid anyway and now I have to in order to easily view the root area.

3 inch hole.jpg

I found two things to cover the hole, Either a 3" mail tube cap (which I will paint black) or a cup holder that fits in a 3" hole.

713bXb8e4XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61moNGUX3bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The other issue I have is he used zip ties to secure the basket. Since I need the basket to be removable, removing the zip tie leaves a whole, although small, it will let some light in. I learned from my first grow even a small amount of light can cause algae growth.

IMG-0581.jpg

IMG-0583.jpg

I have some peg whole plugs that are use in cabinets which will work with a little super glue to plug the holes.

IMG-0590.jpg

Until next time. Happy smoking. :smokin:

Looking Great Just a Heads-up and probably not a concern but I always use separate
hangers on each corner of my lights, Only as a back-up safety feature. If for some reason
one of the Two cables fail the light could hang onto/in my girls so with a cable on each corner
if one failed the light would still hang above the plants.

Just a little bit of OCD always spinning in my head

So I have gathered all the packages that arrive this week and I think I must have been stoned and went nuts on Amazon a few nights this week. This doesn't include the DWC system. I can't even remember what I ordered. :thedoubletake:

Oh well this should be fun. Back later after I unpack all of this.

IMG-0595.jpg

Not so bad once unpacked. A few boxes were unrelated. Don't remember order those either.

The smaller boxes upfront are hoses and power cords. The large one in the back are 2 extra buckets if I decide to build a 2 bucket version. Mostly tools and accessories for the build.

IMG-0596.jpg

Back
Top Bottom