New Cabinet 1st Grow 12/12

Baremeat

Finally finished my cabinet. Was a lot of fun to build but now it is time to get down to it.

When I read Atmosphere grow, it must have fired up some dead brain cell in my head. I found it to be interesting, a new idea, looking outside the box. I guess that is what got me going to build a cabinet and see if I can do something similar. Then I came across old_skool's grow report and it really fired me up.

Cabinet size is 2ft deep X 3ft wide X 5ft tall. The top 12" is being used as a utility room. Painted all the walls flat white, built a cool tube and using a Stanley Blower for the cool tube and 3 1 1/2" passive intake for ventilation.

31 gal Rubbermaid container approx 20"W X 32"L X 17"D. Filling it with 3 cubic feet of Sta-green all purpose potting soil and an 8 quart bag of Miracle Grow Perlite. Would use better but funding is limited at this time. Plotted out where I think I will be placing the babies when they germinate.

I have started the germination process using the paper towel method. I am using bag seed. Starting out with 16 fresh seed that a friend gave me and also 16 seed that I have had for a number of years. Just want to know if they will germinate or not. Figure that if I have more seeds germinate than I have space for in the container I will keep them going just in case I need them for a long as I can.

I will be using a 400 watt HPS for this grow right from the begining. With the cool tube I should be able to get very close to the new babies when they come up for air.

That's it for now. Will report any finding that I have when I get them. :bong:

Wow,
I am glad to be part of your inspiration :bigblush:

+rep for luck and a great grow :joint:

Using the one container method makes a lot of sense. The only draw back is all the plants need to be started together. But then again, hopefully you will get enough herb to last till the next harvest comes in.

Sounds like a good deal. I read atmosphere's grow journal and the idea of roots having room to spread out makes sense. Didn't he have a sq. ft. space for each plant? A 31 gal. container just looks tight for 12 plants to me - 3 cubic feet divided by 12 plants. I'm not trying to sound negative - I'm learning, too, and will be following this grow.

I thought he went 9 :) well, when he picks out the boys, we will see.
Maybe, I don't remember. Atmosphere's was a very interesting read. I love the concept, but would have trouble moving that much soil in one container. But, after seeing this grow, I just might give it a whirl in the fall.

Thanks everyone for your words and support.

A 31 gal. container just looks tight for 12 plants to me - 3 cubic feet divided by 12 plants. I'm not trying to sound negative - I'm learning, too, and will be following this grow.
Herb Fellow, thanks for the question. I can understand your concern. My idea is to start with 12 plants. I hope to have at least 6 females after I determine their sex. I am germinating more than I need, so when the males have been pulled, I hope to have a total of 9 female plants. I think my container is large enough to support that many without getting into major problems. :yikes:

Bare, you may need to insulate the top for sound and put that blower or a variable speed with some foam under the whole unit, unless you don't get a lot of noise and vibration.

Boss, thanks for your comment regarding the blower. You would be suprised at how quiet this blower is. The unit has rubber padding feet so vibration is not a problem. It also has three different settings to use. I will start with the lowest setting and see if that will take care of any heating issues. I live in the country and the cabinet is out in the barn. Not to worried about the noise. So far, with the cabinet closed and the barn door locked, I can't even hear that it is on. Great little blower and easy to modify for this use. It also has two outlets to plug up the small fan that I am using. :peace:

yo brotha this is lookin like its gonna be a sweet grow, i was thinkin the same thing about havin 12 plants in that small a container, but i blanked on the fact that only like half will be girlies haha, well hey good luck dude and i will deff be keepin an eye on this :smokin:

pulling up a chair...

Update

We have babies.:cheesygrinsmiley:

Got up this morning and checked on the grow. Man, I had a smile on my face. So far I placed eight germinated seeds in the container. I have 6 smiling back at me and the other 2 are trying to break ground. It's been many years since I last saw this site. Man, it's all good. I hope to have at least 4 more to germinate so I can place them in the ground for a total of 12. At least that is what I am hoping. Will post pics when they get a little more size to them.

I have the lights on at night because of low temps. Can't wait until this evening, so I can open up the cabinet and talk with my babies. :kiss:

Hope eveyone is doing well and life is good.

Got a few pics of my babies. Nothing much to look at right now but what the hell, they put a smile on my face.:cheesygrinsmiley:

They are 3 days old and looking good. Been having some temp problems during the day. A cold front has brought the temps down during the day time so I have placed a small heater in the cabinet with a thermostat. Trying to keep the temp at least 60 during the day. With the lights on at night, the temp has been around 70-80. That's were I think I should have it. Hope that the weather will warm up so I can take the heater out of the cabinet, makes me nervous, and not have to worry with day time temps until it gets summer.:bong:

Back
Top Bottom