New Coco grower - ppm problems.

dakotamoon

I had 4 just germinated Crown Royale seeds from CKS, they germinated perfectly .. I acquired my coco - washed it broke it up.. added per-lite (30%)!

I added a very week solution of nutes ... 1/5 strength .. and ph'd the nutes (dutch naturals grow A, B and 1/5 strength calmag) to 5.8 ph. The ppm measurment of the nute solution was around 600 ppm.

The seeds all have died now, so I measured the runoff from the coco .. wow it's like 1700 ppm...

So I'm assuming that is my "problem"!

Going forward: I am flushing the coco with distilled water - when I get the runoff closer to "normal" .. (around 400 - 600 ppm) then I plan to plant mung beans and see if they will survive.

I'd love to post pictures, but all I have is sterile coco with extremely high ppm, and no vegetative growth.

Am I attacking this problem properly?

Thanks

U either had something in yet Coco mix, or possibly perlite with nutes in it, or yet ppm pen is off or not consistent

As a seedling, before two real sets of leaves, no nutes are needed

Also run calmag at half to full strength when u use it, like additives, they can be run higher than yer base nutes, that should max at half strength

Thanks, I am using bricks of coco coir, and I see on other forums where people had to wash the salts out of the bricks - and there is a ton of salt in the bricks. The coco claims to be between 6.5 and 6.8 - but by flushing it with distilled water .. that may not be a valid number now. I have a very nice blue wave ppm meter .. it has always been accurate .. I know I can't use my local tap water as ppm's are almost 800ppm,, - my RO water is around 40 ppm.

Thanks, Chris - that is the only thing that makes sense to me - that these insane ppm's are killing the sprouts.

If its compressed in a brick it has to be flushed out. I put mine in throw away pillow cases and run water through it until it runs clear and test the same as tap. I do it in a laundry tub because it takes a lot of water. When I out it in the pots I run a ph balanced 5.8 calmag solution through it until runoff. Then in will plant in it. I don't use perilite.

Yup, the one pot that still has a plant living in it, I have flushed to the point where the runoff is now only 300ppm.

So, hopefully that plant will survive, I still hope to put mung beans in the other pots .. till I get the salt under control.

That is with a distilled water flush! PH still around 6.5

Thanks, Sam ... You are right .. I should probably start over .. take the 3 empty pots.. put all the coco in a pillow case and let the water run till it's clear! The one plant I got down to low salt - but the other 3 need to go back to the drawing board. I have done so much research on Coco - but there is coco and then the bricks - which are a totally different animal.

Well there is bagged which is pretty much ready to go and then there is the brick form that needs a little work to get it ready. I only use brick Cocotek without perilite. It works great if preped well.

Doing a perusal of people with salt issues with Coco bricks, many have given up and just gotten some Canna Coco already broken up. If I can find some in this little town, I may just do that, I have so many salt issues with our water which comes from limestone wells! If I soak and soak and rinse the coco bricks with 800ppm (which is what comes out of my tap) .. then I am just compounding the problem.

Your tap is 800?? I didn't catch that. I would just get a RO unit at that point. Feeding multiple times a day you will need it. You can still do a preliminary rinse with it and then again with ro water.

Yup, our water comes from Limestone wells, it's chock full of fluroide and many other natural salts! No-one in town will drink water from the tap. I do have an RO, it puts out about 20ppm - which will be used for the DTW coco grow. It is a very small RO system, the output isn't high enough to be flushing coco salts with, and distilled water is pricey.

Problem solved: My local hydro store has a nice fresh bag on Canna Coco ..so my coco brick will be saved for emergency coco.

I bought my Coco Coir brick from a company called: Milleniumsoils Coir. I have written them to tell them how disgusted I am with their product, I followed the instructions implicitly that came with the brick .. and still ended up with 1700 ppm in the runoff. I have asked "Milleniumsoils" to do something about the $50 in seeds that their COCO destroyed! They are a local Canadian company .. and I assumed buying form them would work. It hasn't .. looking forward to their response.

Back
Top Bottom