dankhead151

so im a new member and new to growing, not new to smoking haha. but I've recently made a closet trashcan grow setup. I've lined the inside in mylar and i have 4 23 watt natural daylight 5000k lights and 2 23 watt cool white i think 2700k(all are cfl of course). Ive got a thermometer in there and fans are on the way which i will install for air flow. The main thing I'm pondering is what can i do to make this set up better or what do i need to do or keep an eye on throughout the growing process. right now I'm trying to sprout and its been two days i can see the taproot on the surface of the soil getting ready to poke through so i moved the lights up some. got water in there for humidity and thats about where I'm at. here are some pics.
image12161.jpg
image-41.jpg
image-24.jpg

That looks like aluminum foil. You really ought to reline that, with Mylar instead. It's sold in most sporting good stores as an emergency "space" blanket. And if you can't find any, then at the least, you should use the dulled side. The shinier side can cause hot spots, and is actually less efficient at dealing with light than the dulled side. Other than that, and ventilation, I'd say that looks pretty interesting.

a few pointers would be,
-don't over water (only water when the plant pot feel "light" you will get a feel for it
don't feed nutrients for first couple weeks, then start with a weak nutrient solution.
- check your ph, and maintain the proper ph
- make sure you have good air circulation
- maintain reasonable temperatures
biggest mistake is over watering, it is easier to fix a dry plant that one that has been over watered...good luck. You could start a journal too, that way people can follow and give suggestions while you go....

That looks like aluminum foil. You really ought to reline that, with Mylar instead. It's sold in most sporting good stores as an emergency "space" blanket. And if you can't find any, then at the least, you should use the dulled side. The shinier side can cause hot spots, and is actually less efficient at dealing with light than the dulled side. Other than that, and ventilation, I'd say that looks pretty interesting.

he states its mylar in the post....

its mylar just the shinier side i figured the shinier the better, every where i read everyone talks about lights that are 6500k and i couldn't find any that screw into the setup i got. so I'm wondering how big a difference it'll be even though I'm running 4 bulbs all 5000k and the other 2 at 2700k

and as far as the nutes go the soil i have is 50/50 regular soil and miracle grow potting mix which i know isn't the best but all i had to go with for right now

It's just starting out. As you get into it, you sure can upgrade to better stuff. And to be honest, there's a lot of contention about the useability of miracle gro fertilizer. Some swear by it, others avoid it. The soil, well, while it has time released nutes, I'd say should be fine to start with, and step up to something just a little better. That little bit of time released stuff, if you wind up growing large instead of tiny, you'll be putting a small bit of the time released dirt in a 1-5 gallon pot would be a tiny blip on the nute radar.

one thing or goal I'm trying to achieve is a more bushy plant then a tall one. I've read about FIMing and topping and don't know if i should do either or just let it grow (when it does). so any advice there would be taken to heart also.

Watch the humidity, more so with growing in soil. Air circulation is a must. They say run at 70 degree temps, personally I like 75. As far as getting a "Bushy" plant, that's a lot to do with genetics and the strain your growing. I personally am a huge advocate of pruning. Some might say excessive? but I have limited space and concelment is a factor. If you end up with a decent plant, clone it. You will get a bushier plant off of clone verse seed. Apical dominance is much less in a clone.

Oops.... Not growing cactus? Get some fans in there. CO Finest has a good build on an ice cooler in the DIY section. You might want to check that out

yeah i got one fan in today i need to install for outtake and one on the way I'm going to put in for intake so it gets nice good air flow

Back
Top Bottom