New Grow Room Build Journal

Obi Wan

I have to shut down my 3x5x6 grow cabinet but have the opportunity to build a new grow space. This new space is an odd shape @ 3.8x22x7. The area has some great benefits as well as some challenges. Construction will begin in about month so I have some time to plan and sort out the details.

Each space will be nurturing 4 to 6 plants. Flower room will measure @ 3.8x10 and veg @ 3.8x12.

Challenge 1 Odor
People will be within 1 to 2 feet of the space at times.

Solution
Create negative pressure in the grow area and exhaust through one or more carbon filters.

Challenge 2 Climate
This new space is located in a non-climate controlled area that ranges from -30F/-34C to 95F/35C.

Solution
Heavy insulation and portable electric HVAC along with exhaust speed control and damper controlled intake.

Jumping in
The first thing I want to work on is the ventilation. I've learned through experience it is critical when creating an environment to carefully consider the airflow of the space. I am a horrible artist but here is my initial draft of the planned air flow.

Share your thoughts. Let me know what you think. I could use some input or new perspectives.

Cheers!
/Obi

Funds have been acquired for the build. Now I'm waiting for the cold weather to break. I have two other build projects going at the same time. I'll be running a 60 amp subpanel adjacent to the grow area as well as constructing a 12x12 shed for other unrelated purposes.

Current goal is to get things underway on April 1.

I've been daydreaming about the little details. Things like the strategic positioning of extra ceiling joists to attach light hangers, insulating the floor from the concrete slab below, and building an inline carbon filter air exchange that is easy to maintain. I need to figure out how best to vent the A/C as well. I might have to filter that, too.

I like the planning.
/Obi

After giving it some thought, we might be neighbors. Our temps range from -15F to 115F. It's a northern inland desert thing.

You might give some thought to using the solid foam board on the floor covered with plywood. Just something to further insulate from the extremes, although I bet you've already considered that. :)

Apologies for blowing up your build journal, Obi Wan, but I'm excited for you. If I remember right, you're a hydro grower. Are you provisioning for water and drains plumbed in these grow spaces?

You know me by another name, but since my rebirth I am Noob Saibot.

After giving it some thought, we might be neighbors. Our temps range from -15F to 115F. It's a northern inland desert thing.

You might give some thought to using the solid foam board on the floor covered with plywood. Just something to further insulate from the extremes, although I bet you've already considered that. :)
I like the way you think Saibot. I have some pre-treated 2x4's to make a frame to hold a foam sandwich.

5/8 OSB
Vapor barrier
2in insulating foam
1/8in OSB
PT frame

I'll be sure to post more pics. I've mostly finished the exterior walls and have 8 feet of the new wall built :)

I appreciate everyone's input!

I've been using my phone for music and keep missing opportunities to take pics. The progress is slow but moving forward.

/Obi

That pipe is an existing air line that will be reconnected to an air compressor for the adjacent shop. It's unrelated but nice to have the loud compressor enclosed in another room :)

Back
Top Bottom