New Grow Room Build Journal

Got plans for a drainage system tied into the flooring somehow?
I've been tossing that idea around lately... it might simplify my world if I didn't have to worry about collecting the runoff.

**Corrugated fiberglass sheets sitting on 4" risers, drain-to-waste, pump out drainage trays via sump pump**

BoomShakalaka... Yup, that's goin into the 'usernames I wished I thought of' list.

Sheetrock on a grow room floor would seem problematic at the very least. Any spilled water not instantly removed would tend to turn it to mush... maybe especially so with the slightly acidic mixes we tend to use. Not to mention OSB will support much more weight than drywall.

I meant the bottom half of the walls, not the floor, sorry. I didn't know if you had a specific reason for that.

I meant the bottom half of the walls, not the floor, sorry. I didn't know if you had a specific reason for that.
Its mostly a durability solution and it matches the surrounding workshop. The bottom 4 feet of OSB is more durable than drywall and saves me from endless patchwork. .

The inside wall is temporary and non load bearing. Someday I'll probably tear it all down so I skimped on the OSB on that side.

I bought a couple of lazy susan bearings and built the main door.

I have a home energy audit scheduled for the near future. They'll be scanning my home for areas that need insulation improvements, testing for air leaks and verifying the efficiency of HVAC and other appliances. Included in the audit is a review of the previous 18 months of energy use (electric/gas). I'm looking forward to seeing how I fair in comparison to the area averages. I've been running the grow cabinet for a few grows now.

I'm getting bid number two for windows and siding tomorrow as well.

Bidder number two was interesting. He took measurements and gave me a bid. He never once mentioned what we would get, lol. I just let him do his thing. More bids scheduled.

Speaking of the energy audit, my home is lit entirely by LEDs. Even the garage and shop now. Up to 8.5w lamps for general lighting and up to 10.5w for purpose lighting. It took years of shopping for LED bulb sales, instant energy rebates, price wars, etc.. My son asked why I always enter the hardware and box stores and stare at the light bulb displays. He thought I was fascinated by the different looking bulbs. I was actually calculating cost per lumen and comparing other stats as they rapidly evolve while making mental note of milestones and thresholds of when to buy.

I'm probably a little off my rocker either way you look at it.

/Obi

Progress has been a little slow lately but I'm getting there. I'll get some pics up asap. I have the door installed that divides the veg & bloom rooms. Also, some ventilation has been roughed in. I have some seeds germinating so I have extra incentive to wrap up the build.

I'm thinking about using an old 4 inch carbon filter on my fresh air intake. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I want to keep dust, pollen, bugs and junk out of the room. Additionally, if my main ventilation fan goes down I won't have stinky air exiting through the intake hole.

Cheers,
/Obi

Progress has been a little slow lately but I'm getting there. I'll get some pics up asap. I have the door installed that divides the veg & bloom rooms. Also, some ventilation has been roughed in. I have some seeds germinating so I have extra incentive to wrap up the build.

I'm thinking about using an old 4 inch carbon filter on my fresh air intake. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I want to keep dust, pollen, bugs and junk out of the room. Additionally, if my main ventilation fan goes down I won't have stinky air exiting through the intake hole.

Cheers,
/Obi

Having an intake filter of some kind is a must for sure. Good plan.

However using a 4 inch carbon filter on the intake to protect against a main fan failure likely wont work. Carbon filter have to have a specified amount of air moving thru them in order to create the scrubbing action. So if your negative pressure area becomes mildly positive in a fan failure situation, theres a good chance stinky air will slowly be released untreated through your intake.

Put intakes and exhausts high up as possible. Plumbing vent stacks are stealthy. Create a new one for an intake and tee into an old one for exhaust. They will handle 400 cfm.

Just my 3 cents :)

Cheers

Alrighty, a quick catch up post. I found and uploaded the few pics I have so far. I plan on getting out there and getting a few things done tomorrow.

I mentioned previously I used a couple of 3 inch lazy susan bearings to create the main door swivels. We'll see how long it lasts. So far so good with a cost of $6. If I were to build the door again I might move the bearings inwards a few more inches to further reduce stress on the bearings.

Here, I am messing around with a temporary light and getting a feeling for bucket space. The light is plugged into the secondary power circuit designated for HVAC. The main lighting circuit has yet to be installed.

Here we have a view of the exhaust hole. Pretty interesting. I have a 6 inch fan hooked up which is simply exhausting into the adjacent shop right now.

I had popped a few beans prior to scheduling our home energy audit. When the audit date arrived I had to move shop. I slid into the new space a little early as you can see but I had limited options at the time.

I have 7 plants going. The 3 in the back did not make it. They were a couple freebie autos and a good bean that just didn't make it.

This is pretty fun.

More updates soon...

Cheers,
/Obi

Here is a quick glance at the veg side of the grow space. This side is larger but it shares some space with other utilities. The fresh air intake is at the top of the room being pulled through the old carbon filter for now to keep the dust out.

The weather has been unseasonably warm with summer like temperatures already. Currently it is 90F outside and the flower room is 91F with fans blowing like mad, lol.

Back
Top Bottom