New Grow Rooms - Capn Style - Video Updates

Skybound

Welcome friends to my 3rd grow journal. First was an utter failure but I learned a whole lot, 2nd was also Capn' style and though very successful, I learned even more. I have since secured a new spot to match my potential. I have since nearly tripled my grow gear (my rig) and have been building now for nearly a solid month custom building the enclosure and inner room. I only have the Veg room mostly finished and still yet to build the flower room. My video update will fill in a lot of the details, give you a good walk through of my spot and show the process I used to successfully germinate some beans in about 24 hours.

It appears that the video quality is very pixelated which perplexes me because I produced the video for HD so I obviously have to become more familiar with the software I'm using (Camtasia 7). Also noticed the hyperlinks to The Capn's Heisenberg Tea recipe and also his Nutrient recipe did not produce correctly so I must link them below;

When I mix the tea, I make only a single gallon and the conversions I use are as follows;
1 gallon RO water
3 ml molasses
5 ml Aqua Shield
6 TBLS Ancient forest (heaping scoops)
0.5 grams of Great white Mycorrhizae

My target strains are Dinafem OG Kush, Royal Medic (equal THC/CBD ratios) and Cherry Bomb. However, because my rooms are in an attic in the summertime, I expect I might/will lose some or all of the beans I'm starting with due to heat. I will do my best to manage, but push comes to shove I might have to wait till the summer passes as I might not be able to beat the heat up there. Keep fingers crossed though. I expect I will plant the beans that germed a little later today and shoot a video for that. I will look into producing better videos and when my mood is right, I might even just speak instead of using many hard to read captions. I apologize for that BTW. I'm looking forward to shooting some DIY vidz as I LOVE to build, more than I love to smoke, but mixing the 2 is an experience as well.

More to come and TYIA (Thank You In Advance) for those who subscribe.

Nice to see you back up and running buddy! And this setup...it really is something, all the potential I would want in a grow room. Couple of questions, is your exhaust box ducted right out a window (and is that a galaxy box fan sitting in the manifold?)? What are your ambient temps in the room during this summer?

Funny...from all the strains you so graciously gifted to me, I chose those same 3 to start as well. Well that being said, I'm subscribed :popcorn:

What's good AG, thanks for getting on board. Your experience will undoubtedly be called upon for assistance for this run. Last time we spoke, you said you'd be doing something this summer. Is a journal in the works?

This room was intentionally constructed to be 2'x4' sections and made from cheap and light weight materials in case I find a better spot, mostly the entire room can be dismantled and transported with some ease. To be honest, I know attics in this region get exceptionally hot and during heat waves becomes unmanageable so I definitely gotta earn my keep here. The box fan is the cheapest at wally's and is only meant to assist whatever air is present in the enclosure out to the world. The noise at street level is minimal. My best hope is that the small air conditioner, only being tasked (right now) to manage 192 cubic feet for veg, can manage the space well enough for the ladies to thrive. The expected flower room should between 256-320 cubic feet, so at most the total would be 512 cubic feet between the 2 rooms or less. The outer area I'm not so concerned about. I have two more 600 watt cool tubes with XL reflectors, and if I can trick my light movers to only run 2' back and forth, I'll use them and add 2 more feet to the flower room.

I still have a few more things to get to complete this room, but building a box to cap off the heat exchanger on the back of that AC unit is priority 1 so the heat can be ducted out and air can be cooled if need be because it gets break out in sweat hot up there. When I shot the 24 hours later video, I was losing weight in real time.

I got my hands on a loaner camera that shoots better quality video and I filmed myself putting a few of the bean babies into starter cubes earlier so I'll get on editing that and maybe use a different mix of music. Update possibly tonight.

Subscribed Skybound, looking forward to your journal, looks like it will be outstanding. In a couple of months I plan on doing just what you are doing once I get moved.

Thanks for joining 60cal. Outstanding is what I am shooting for, but like I said, I gotta earn it. Today after playing 18 holes, I checked the room and let me tell you, it was extremely hot up there. So I checked the beans and the Akorn (Snowbud) sprouted, but that's it. Checked the bagseeds that were still in paper towels and only one had a small tap root so I transplanted it. Because I am using a different cam, the videos I shot of yesterdays transplants did not save, so I don't have a video for that. To try and beat todays heat I threw together an enclosure for the back of the AC unit. The enclosure was held together by duct tape. So I turned it on high, then left for 2 hours to run errands and upon my return, the entire attic was hotter than when I left it and I knew exactly why. The tape didn't hold and the board with the register on it came unglued and fell right off and the AC was spilling heat right into the room. i taped it back up, this time with aluminum tape as it's glue holds way better and being metal, it deals with heat much better. I then programmed a timer to keep it on for an hour, then off for every other half hour while lights are on. Hopefully 12am to 6am is not too hot. I hope tomorrow after work the room will be not so hot and more beans are sprouted. Here are some pics;

P10004691.JPG
P10004711.JPG
P1000472.JPG
P10004731.JPG
P10004741.JPG

I also relocated the electric board as the previous spot was too difficult to reach and it got a lot warmer there. I will probably hang the two 600 watt ballasts there as well as the flower room will go in the next space. I also intend to spend a little money and effort this coming weekend to build the ventilation system. Capn shared a diagram with me of his current ventilation and he cools all his lights and pulls from a carbon filter all with one main fan and a booster fan. The layout is genius and all I need to get is a decent booster fan from homies. Also will have the door finally built for the veg room next weekend. After that, I have to build an air inlet. Because the veg and flower rooms will exchange air into each other, the veg inlet will be one of those holes until the flower is under construction, then maybe I will cut inlets to each room and build in a filter as well.

Take it easy everyone!

Nice update. Ah, so this room is still based on the floor plan you made for your previous 'barn' location. Now I can clearly picture how you ventilation is going to be setup. What type of CFM were you looking at tin order to move all that air between the rooms?

>>> Is a journal in the works?

Yes, I should be starting it at the beginning of July. Beans have been sprouted, I'm just wrapping up my grow relocation.

Nice update. Ah, so this room is still based on the floor plan you made for your previous 'barn' location. Now I can clearly picture how you ventilation is going to be setup. What type of CFM were you looking at tin order to move all that air between the rooms?

>>> Is a journal in the works?

Yes, I should be starting it at the beginning of July. Beans have been sprouted, I'm just wrapping up my grow relocation.

Well, kinda. Looking at those old plans, I see I had a wye in my design, but Capn's schematic lays it more efficiently. Imagine a plain carbon filter hanging from the ceiling with a booster fan attached. From there it blows into 1 of the 2 leads off the wye's split. The other lead is connected to all the lights. That covers after the wye. Before the wye is your inline blower fan pulling air from the lights and from the booster fan. My inline is 440 CFM and I am yet to see what's available in booster fans within my budget this week.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for your project to be journaled. Hope you kill it more so than you did last time. That Bubb was the most flavorful I've ever tasted and it packs a wicked good punch too. I expect you won't be using tap water no more, so hopefully your girls are that much more rewarding. Just remember that for every 1 gallon produced, 4 are wasted.

In my corner, 1 bag seed, the Kerala/Skunk #1 and Akorn(Snowbud) have survived my in house heatwave. I closed off the room as best I can and have the AC on every 15 minutes now from 10am to 10pm. I hope they all can hold up for just a couple more days till I get a door built, then I should know if I can move forward with the choice strains after the trial strains advance. I do want to get more videos up, but I am back to work and travel to and fro each day which makes getting anything of value done difficult. I will find a balance soon and get this journal crackalackin!

Sure hope the attic gods are being nice to you
I wanted to let you know we have 5 akorn aka snow buds going outside and its a good thing cause there BIG, from the first day they popped I understood why they are claimed to be "Outdoor" plants, really tall sprouts that will turn into trees. Careful they might overgrow your height you allotted them
Keep up the good fight sky! it'll pay off soon enough

Well, kinda. Looking at those old plans, I see I had a wye in my design, but Capn's schematic lays it more efficiently. Imagine a plain carbon filter hanging from the ceiling with a booster fan attached. From there it blows into 1 of the 2 leads off the wye's split. The other lead is connected to all the lights. That covers after the wye. Before the wye is your inline blower fan pulling air from the lights and from the booster fan. My inline is 440 CFM and I am yet to see what's available in booster fans within my budget this week.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for your project to be journaled. Hope you kill it more so than you did last time. That Bubb was the most flavorful I've ever tasted and it packs a wicked good punch too. I expect you won't be using tap water no more, so hopefully your girls are that much more rewarding. Just remember that for every 1 gallon produced, 4 are wasted.

In my corner, 1 bag seed, the Kerala/Skunk #1 and Akorn(Snowbud) have survived my in house heatwave. I closed off the room as best I can and have the AC on every 15 minutes now from 10am to 10pm. I hope they all can hold up for just a couple more days till I get a door built, then I should know if I can move forward with the choice strains after the trial strains advance. I do want to get more videos up, but I am back to work and travel to and fro each day which makes getting anything of value done difficult. I will find a balance soon and get this journal crackalackin!

Ah so the 440 CFM inline fan will be pulling all the air out of both rooms, via the splitter. I think I have one of his schematics saved, I only wish I could implement this into my setup.

>>> I expect you won't be using tap water no more, so hopefully your girls are that much more rewarding. Just remember that for every 1 gallon produced, 4 are wasted.

No sir, I have put that RO unit to good use the last 3 months. I can confidently say that all of those pH problems are in the past. Honestly I check PPM more often nowadays :laughtwo: Once again, thanks Sky for it; only you really have an idea of the struggles I went through dealing with pH.

>>>In my corner, 1 bag seed, the Kerala/Skunk #1 and Akorn(Snowbud) have survived my in house heatwave.

Is this all that survived from your initial target strains?

Is this all that survived from your initial target strains?

I didn't germ any target seeds yet. I wasn't sure if the AC would be able to manage at least one room, plus being called back to work severely put a dent in my daily clock and ability to make any significant adjustments, and I knew this before hand so I only germed strains that I could afford to risk, and if need be, lose. Once I know the room temps/RH/cleanliness can be maintained, and I have more free time, I will germ the OGs, Royal Medic and maybe cherry bombs. I am very eager to see what these Royal Medics will do. That strain is purported to produce near equal amounts of CBD. It's be nice if I can find a lab near me that can test end produce and measure THC v. CBD ratios. I'd love to find the high CBD pheno and keep it alive indefinitely!

Here's the vent system I'm gonna try;
ventilation_system.JPG

Video update #2, sorry for the patchy video feed, had to edit a bit. My video skills are not the greatest, but like this space to use, it's a work in progress! The back 3 cups didn't produce anything and will likely get tossed soon. I'm gaining confidence with the air temps being able to be controlled so as soon as the 2 rooms are more developed and everything laid out, I look forward to popping some OG Kush and Royal Medic. Also forgot to mention in the video is that I will be looking to extend the veg room to 10' and build a new 6' room so that I may keep the AC unit right where it is and be in the flower room. Once again, thank you Capn for pointing out that design flaw I missed! Between the vent setup and the Ac being in flower, I would likely harvest less due to struggling more to maintain closer to optimal conditions. For those new to Capn Style, or the wise man himself "@TheCapn", please give a thorough reading through his blog write ups, you will learn tremendous to the point info on how to grow massive 1LB+ monsters 11 out of 10 tries.

Great update Sky.

Typically germination into seedling stage thrive in warmer temps at higher humidity. Even at your temp reading I would expect a 100% germination rate. Hey, are you still placing the germinated tap root straight into the mini cubes? I had a problem with one of my Bubblegummer (Female Seeds) seedlings that I started straight into the cubes. I know the success rate is there as we both have proven this method, but I have been giving myself extra reassurance. I picked up these peat pellets a couple months back from the Wall that expand with moisture. I've been getting 100% success rates so far with seedlings reaching an inch tall within 72 hours (With Capn's Germ Recipe of course) at temps of 88F and an rH of up to 90%. Here are a couple of seedlings I just transplanted after 4 days in the peat pellets, and they transition very well straight into the cubes
20140621_225932.jpg

The good thing about them is that I soak them once at the time of sowing, and I don't need to re-water until I transplant into larger containers.

I'm on the thought that starting germinated seeds straight into the cubes doesn't induce an optimal environment for fast growth.

Try 'em out if you get the chance, but I'm sure you have some 1 inch Rockwool cubes laying around in your grow op?
I have a pack of Rockwool 1inch starter cubes that I haven't opened yet, and I don't think I will given the rate I'm going :laughtwo:

I will definitely pick up some of those pellets. I did use the 1" cubes to start, but I feared they may dry out too quickly and with me only able to get there once a day, I didn't want to chance losing the 3 I got, so I transplanted into the minis. My last run of clones that I did (the ones I was gonna gift), I did 2 in cubes and 2 in the bubble cloner, those I put straight to mini cubes when the roots were growing at fast rates. None the less, I will get the peat pellets and give those a whirl. I don't want to start the next round of beans until most of the rooms are done and dialed in, perhaps when the veg room is relocated to the other end of the attic and the flower room is all ready as well. Not alot of effort is needed to finish, just a bit of scratch for more white hardboards cut into 2'x4' pieces.

Thanks for the wisdom AG, it will be put to good use.

Sky, so sorry I am just now subscribing and catching up on your journal. A few comments:

1. I really like how you've built a room, in a room. It gives you a lot of space to work and keep your grow area pristine.

2. I like how you've mounted the ballast outside the room to save on heat.

3. The videos look nice quality to me.

4. Love the cool tubes. Good choice.

5. Those seedling cups have holes in the bottoms, right?

6. Please let me know how you do with the air conditioner vent thing. I tried something similar and it didn't work for me. If the air in the attic gets over 100, I'm not sure the air-con will be able to cool itself properly... and then they shut down.

I'm totally envious of your new space, especially the 8ft ceiling. If you can keep it cool up there you will do very well. Looking forward to seeing the next room up and running too. Is there an internet connection nearby? I know $ is tight but I would really like to see some airflow redundancy or at least a temp alert system like the lacrosse alerts. If the air con stops, we don't want a meltdown.

Here's the vent system I'm gonna try;
ventilation_system.JPG

Yep this is it! The intake at the beginning of the light hoods, that pulls from "outdoors", correct?

Back
Top Bottom