New Grower Autos From Seed

Nuke Em High

So this is the start of my growing journey, hopefully all goes well.
Currently have Auto mazar seeds sitting in rapid rooter plugs and going on day 5.
They had started out soaking in a cup of water for 20 hours, seeds sank to the bottom and then placed in tupperware with paper towel.
I have since changed this over to rapid root plugs after a bit of help on the forums, this was done today.
These seeds have been a bit stubborn to crack open may have been my fault, first couple of days I did not have heat mat and temps were not stable. At one point the paper towel did get a bit dry after heat mat was introduced on day 3, temps reached 94f when I got up so lesson learned. I now have a piece of cardboard between the heat mat and rapid plugs in order to regulate heat a bit.
Light that I will be using: Highgrow 600 watt led light (not sure what actual wattage is)
Tent: 3x3x6
Heat mat with cardboard between tupper lid with rapid root plugs
Humidifier in tent with clip fan along with 6 inch duct fan to control environment however none of this has been running yet.
Will be using Remo Nutrients once everything takes off. Thanks all for the help and suggestions!

Day 5 :

My first suggestion to you is get ready for that auto. You’re gonna want put hrr straight into 5gallons of coco. You wont have time to transplant. Find a nute schedule for autos and follow it. Keep your coco moist. Hope they pop for ya, i got a Kush Auto that just opened up shes goin in coco tomorrow. Theres alotta peeps round here, everybody helpful, welcome to 420!

:ganjamon:

Will be grabbing some coco coir tomorrow to get the pots ready, these will be placed in 5 gal fabric pots as soon as the root shows. I was debating on doing a soil/coco mix but think I will be doing stright coco as it seems to be more forgiving if I mess up on the nutes. I went ahead and placed two more seeds stright into the rapid rooters today. No pre-soaking in water or paper towel this time, just some light misting with water every few hours. Thanks and good luck with those kush autos!

So I have not been too successful with my first attempt at germination after placing seeds directly into rapid router plugs, mostly my error due to not getting proper germination started. I did take these seeds out of rapid rooter plugs and placed them back in towel in hope they do germinate. Did however get success with placing one seed in distilled water with some kelp solution. As soon as seed cracked open and tap root exposed, planted right into coco/perlite mix. Thinking I should have placed this one into a rapid rooter and gave it some time before placing in coco as it seems a bit airy for water retention. For now I just have plastic dome over planted seedling as soil was already damp after rinsing coco out and pH balancing it to 6.0. Have light and fan going to regulate temperature a bit and temps are sitting at 78F and RH at 48%. Will be misting with kelp and Ph'd water periodically to keep moisture under control. Still kinda of disappointed that I burned through two seeds, oh well lesson learned. :ganjamon:

Wanted to remove the blurple pics and replace them with something a little easier on the eyes but cannot delete old pics from post. Really wondering about humidity levels in this tent as it's getting to be like a sauna at times. Held off spraying top of coco as it seems to be still damp, time will tell I guess. Decided to go ahead and dropped another auto in water to get it started as I don't think other 4 seeds will be sprouting, they're not looking to good atm.

If your seeds are up then don't dome them! If you've been doing it for a while then you'll need to harden off the seedlings. You should water your plant at least once a day in coco the water drains/ dries fast. Thats why it's good for roots and their development.

Here's how I pop seeds: I use a seedling mat for this process. Get one with a thermostat, set to 80. 24-36 hours in glass of water, hopefully at that point I've got a crack or a tapper popping. I have a solo cup full of moist medium, 1" hole and in goes the seed, crack or tapper facing down to earth. Lightly fill in the whole and place a clear solo cup over the top. I use electrical tape to seal the cups. Wait til you see them pop up and you're on to it. Take of clear cups and save for next time. Never dome the seedlings!

The six pictures were shot in one day. Take note of the last picture, this is when you take off the dome.

One of my newest Kush Auto, just popped up yesterday! It's in 100% coco.

You can see the difference between when I clone vs. popping seeds.

You can see the mat. I also make clones, those two are Northern Lights, the dome just came off of those today, but that's a different process.

Nice and very descriptive, thanks for the feedback. The seedling is still under the soil at this stage with the dome over it to get it started, she hasn't popped above the coco yet. When I placed her in coco she had just cracked open with very little tap root exposed in order to reduce tearing from paper towel or any other issues. Really wondering about the coco/ perlite mix I did, seems really fluffy and not able to hold water. Next time will be placing seeds into cups like you have set up or rapid rooters to give roots a bit of ground to get started. I have been just misting her twice a day for now, water looks like its just sitting on the top of coco and not being absorbed. Looking at it again, it's starting to turn light brown around edges, not sure if there's enough water inside the coco to produce root structure as she's just going off most of what was saturated in coco after rinsing I gave it to get rid of salts. Will try and get closer picture of the soil later. Thanks again for pictures as this looks like a foolproof method for germination you have and will be trying this out.

Cool man, you gotta find your way with coco. Sometimes picking up yhe container is a good idea for weight. I water just a bit around yhe outside ov the seedling 2 times a day, i use an eye dropper, they dont need much at first. If you didnt charge the coco, you can add 1 tsp calmag per gallon for your seedling phase, about 1 week. Then start with 1/4 nutes and see how plant responds. Seeds take patience as does this hobby.

:thumb:

So last night I watered lightly with some tap water Ph'd to 6.5 and kept humidity dome off after dropping lights to about 30" from pot and looks like we have signs of life. This is an Auto Critical by the way and have my last one sitting in a cup ready to be placed in either paper towel or right into rapid rooter this time, however dropping directly in coco seemed to have worked fine. Not sure what to do with her since I hear auto's are a bit sensitive to handling or anything that will stunt their growth as they are on a timed schedule. Strange none of my AutoMazar germinated. Lights have been kept on 24/7 and humidity is at 70% with temps around 76F.

I kept my PH low in coco, 5.85. Your Ph will drop in coco after you feed so Ph'ing a little high is ok. I try not to PH higher than 6.15. Plants in coco like 6.0 - 6.2.

Congratulations on the new baby. Remember to mix up 1 tsp CalMag (5ml) per gallon (3.75 Liter) and water with an eye dropper just around the outside of the seedling. You don't need to soak the whole container, just get the coco wet enough around the seedling and surrounding area. No more than a couple of tsp's to start. The root system is developing so be patient. You've got about two weeks until you really start to see them take off. Try not to over water.

After 1 week of water and CalMag you can move to your regular nutes schedule but remember not to soak the coco too much. It's a balance cause you don't want the coco to dry out. Wetter is better but try to avoid algae...

My first suggestion to you is get ready for that auto. You’re gonna want put hrr straight into 5gallons of coco. You wont have time to transplant. Find a nute schedule for autos and follow it. Keep your coco moist. Hope they pop for ya, i got a Kush Auto that just opened up shes goin in coco tomorrow. Theres alotta peeps round here, everybody helpful, welcome to 420!

:ganjamon:
I do autos exclusively and yes once the seed sinks put it right in her new home!!!!!!

Alright, looks like the other Auto Critical cracked so I placed her in a rapid rooter when tap root was 1/4 inch and into a little dome I made with a hole in the top to let excess humidity out. Temps are around 85F inside dome placed on heat mat, hope it's not too toasty for her or too humid. First seedling is doing fine by the looks of it. Going to add 5 ml of Magnifical and Ph it to 5.8 for my next watering and have it ready to go. Thanks for the help again!

Ok so maybe I'm overthinking this a bit. I'm about to feed some calcium to my seedling and I'm wondering what pH I should be going for in order for the calcium to be absorbed by my plant. I have prepared only a half gallon of tap water and added 2.5ml of calcium this gives me a ppm of 219 taking into account the ppm already in my water of 160. Ph is sitting at 7.7 now after adding nutrients. Does all this sound ok:lot-o-toke:.

Ok, I'm doing another batch of coco for the new seedling that sprouted. Will be setting pH to 6.2 for next feeding. Yes I will be doing a drain to waste set up. Just about ready to make my coco now and wondering if I should flush and pH the coco as well to 6.0? Thanks again. Below are some pictures of new seedling that sprouted this morning in the rapid router. Another question I have is light cycle, is it not too late to go 18/6 or 24 hours like I have been doing?

I grew my first couple Autos at 18/6. Now I just do 24. No point for rest trust me, my autos in coco are doing nothing but yielding bigger and better. My Kush Auto is 24 hours and the Ultra Lemon Haze is huge! They dont care, cuse they got a short schedule, and because of that 24 hours is optimal. I get help too and im just telling you what ive been told and tried as well. Autos in coco, 24 hours of light, get ready to be amazed! I know the first grow jitters, they’ll be fine.

Holy shit these autos grow fast! Just got back and the newest seedling just sprouted her helmet in the rapid rooter. I took the top off to help her out a bit. I did a bit of an experiment this time because I'm a bit of a mad scientist I guess lol. Decided to prep coco and charge with enough calcium "Magnifical" and just threw the new seedling right in to the coco after 8 hours of saturation so it's quite damp. Perlite ratio is same as last batch but looks different this time, perlite is not as thick, she's good to go I hope. One thing I did notice is that the stalk or stem is more thicker when grown in the rapid rooter vs seedling straight to coco, maybe due to a bit of tweaking with the velokelp and ph'd water. Anyhow this will be a good reference to have. Thanks Agemon, will be doing 24 hours for the light cycle as I have a feeling these babies can take it in the coco. Funny I have a bag full of Pro mix sitting here, may switch it up for the photo's I have for the next run. Again thanks all for the help!

They do take off quickly but they will slow in the second week as the roots develop. That's been my experience any way. Wet is better than dry for coco, but if you start to see green on your coco that's algae. Plants green, coco white or orange.

And Congratulations on the new girl!!!!!!!!!

:thumb:

So everything is looking ok so far I hope. Really is starting to become a balancing act getting everything dialed in. Noticed the stem is a bit purple on the first seedling I planted. Is this something to be concerned about in such early stages of development? After a bit of research online found that this could be either 1 of 2 things, either calcium related or cold environment, coco did feel a bit cold. The newest seedling #2 is showing droopy leaves or maybe it's just starting out this way. Is this an issue with too much water? Coco was quite damp and heavy when I planted her, think I'll hold off watering this one for today. This Friday I'm thinking of hitting #1 with it's first dose of nutes at 1/2 strength. Pics below are currently where we're at.
# 1

Back
Top Bottom