New Grower Much Needed Advice First Grow Attempt

Pinkremote21

420 Member
Hello all!
I am a very very first time grower, I've only been smoking around 2 years and recently moved to Colorado. My sister in law gave me a jar of weed she grew that's some kind of hybrid that she just threw outside and didnt care about so its littered with seeds. So I figured I would give them an attempt to grow, but despite watching a million videos and reading blogs I am still a bit confused and concerned.
Here is my set up so far before I get to my questions
Strain: Unknown hybrid
# of plants: 7
Grow type: Soil
Grow stage: I'm assuming seedling? I think they might be behind so I'm not certain
Bucket size: I went straight from paper towel germination to 3 gallon fabric pots
Lights: I have 2 300 watt LED full spectrum lights
Nutrients: I have not used any so far but I do have the fox farm trio. Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tigers Bloom
Medium: I have 5 in Fox Farms Happy Frog Soil then 2 in Miracle Grow Organic
PPM: Not sure what this means yet
PH: I have an actual water distiller because I have so many humidifiers in my house and the use that water for my plants and it tests at 6.4
RH: I have the humidity at between 50-60%
Room Temp: Always between 73-80 degrees
Solution temp: Not sure what this means but if it's to the water I leave it in my grow room so it stays at room temp
Room SF: I am growing in a 3x3 grow tent inside of a walk in closet so I leave the door open when the lights are on close it when it's dark time
Pests: None used diomothucus clay in the room before even starting grow room so haven't seen anything.

Now I did the paper towel method then immediately moved to a 3 gallon pot with fox farms happy from soil, they all seem to be growing but I think from watching so many videos or looking at pictures my plants look super far behind.
I took my first picture of them being tiny little sprouts November 5 that was after soaking them in water for 24 hours, then letting them sit in a damp paper towel for 5 days then planting so they were roughly 2 weeks old November 5th so they are at around 4 weeks old in these pictures. I just took these yesterday.
So 1 I am concerned they are too small.
2 I am worried about watering because I have been watering them everyday only around 1/2 a cup maybe which I'm not sure if it's enough or too much I do do the put my finger in and its dry thing but not sure if I should water more. All the videos I see are in red solo cups which I didnt know I was suppose to start in.
And 3 when would I start adding nutrients and how much? I did read that using fox farms gave me some time before I had to start but I'm not sure when and how much to start.
I apologize for all the newbie questions I have been watching videos and reading posts but I'm still confused. I honestly didnt even know what a grown weed plant looked like as I'm a super newbie at smoking too.
Any and all advice would be so appreciated thank you so much

20191117_161938.jpg
20191117_161947.jpg

Welcome Pinkremote, your plants look great so far. If your plants start to lose their green coloring then start on 1/4 strength nutes and slowly increase from there.

Welcome. They look healthy enough. Try not get in your own head watching other people's stuff. Some folks are running as much light as possible and co2 enrichment. There's also some growth rate differences between growing styles.

As long as your girls are happy and healthy that's what matters.

Thank you! I'm not even sure what sex they are going to be so I'm hoping most are females, they just threw the seeds outside and let them run wild so the weed is really weak but im just assuming it's from letting the males and females grow together. I'm just figuring if I have all these kind of throw away seeds I can learn growing those before I invest in some awesome seeds that I would probably kill from inexperience.

Thank you! I'm not even sure what sex they are going to be so I'm hoping most are females, they just threw the seeds outside and let them run wild so the weed is really weak but im just assuming it's from letting the males and females grow together. I'm just figuring if I have all these kind of throw away seeds I can learn growing those before I invest in some awesome seeds that I would probably kill from inexperience.

As @Pennywise mentioned unknown origins does not automatically mean junk. My favorite strain is still my very first Bagseed from when I first started growing, I've kept her around the whole time.

Hi @Pinkremote21 welcome to the coolest spot on the interwebs for all things weed! I got some handout bag seeds from a friend, they turned out terrific I've been growing them for 3 or 4 generations now I itsy bitsy wish they weren't so nice so I'd have a reason to get off my wallet and get some new genetics ;) Cheers, luck to your grow! :yahoo:

Thank you everyone! I think my plants are behind because I went from seed straight to a big pot, should I just let them go and they will take longer or try and put them in a small cup then transfer again back into the bigger pots?

Thank you everyone! I think my plants are behind because I went from seed straight to a big pot, should I just let them go and they will take longer or try and put them in a small cup then transfer again back into the bigger pots?

Patience is key when working with any living thing. Give them time, they will grow into it and reward your patience and attention bountifully. There's a thread here by @Emilya on how to properly water a potted plant that will help smooth out your wait and journey forward.

I'd say let them go, they look fine to me! I think they will catch up quicker than they would slow down from the down pot/re-up pot. Just watch your watering....you might take a look at The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant on some good watering habits and things to watch for. THat was written by our own Pot Yoda right there!

I'd say let them go, they look fine to me! I think they will catch up quicker than they would slow down from the down pot/re-up pot. Just watch your watering....you might take a look at The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant on some good watering habits and things to watch for. THat was written by our own Pot Yoda right there!

Haha jinx

Leave them in the big pot, they will build roots at first so not much happening above ground. Once the roots are established she’ll explode with growth!

Back
Top Bottom