New Grower: Need Help Please!

Hello , coco is the easiest form of hydro growing , 5.8 ph always 350 ppm , 100 of the ppm is calmag , water every single day to a good heavy run off and dispose of the run off don't worry about the runoff ph or ppm , you cant over water coco , be sure you have a least 30 -40 percent perlite in the coco mix temps at 75-78 unless you are using co2 then you can get to 85 degree max , cloth pots so the mix drains quickly and the water has to be oxygenated also make sure you nutes are used for a hydro grow -not soil and don't bother with organics in coco they take too long to be available to the plant as they get flushed out , never every plain water ,add about 100ppm of a pk booster once the plants get to the 2-3rd week of flower , i use the 3 part gh nutes , , pink green purple add purple 1st then green then pink i use about 2.5 ml of each color , never let your coco dry out hope this helps ph is critical with coco 5.8-6 max , a ppm and ph meter are a must with coco , do not pre mix your rez and let it sit for more then a day ,it will cause bacteria to form in rez -gets slimmy, coco is a little more work but the results from it are worth it water temp should be 70 -72 degree in the rez at all time , don't use tap water ,r.o. is a must, tap water has to much salt and other shit in it .

Hey 24 - Welcome to 420! Reiterating some of the above adding some new bits too. Forget soil, coco is nothing like soil - it’s drain to waste hydro - so hydro rules apply.

Don’t worry about your runoff ph or ppm numbers, runoff contains fine sediments from your coco plus old nutes or chemical salts. Make your measurements and adjustments to inputs, that is the water going in. Here’s what happens... newbies measure runoff and go oh shit! Then start jacking the inputs up or down to get a different number in runoff.... don’t chase that rabbit - it leads nowhere good. Runoff is like Vegas, what happens in the bucket - stays in the bucket.... or dribbles out the bottom, either way forget runoff

Temps - 86 or 88 Fahrenheit is too hot for indoors, its not enough to monitor the temp & rh but you must control it. Do whatever it takes to bring it down 80 to 82 is about the max however most run 78ish. For indoors - the environment is critical.....

No more plain water ever, as mentioned above (feed & irrigate) or fertigate as it’s called with light nutes every time with cal-mag added first as discussed above but make sure to feed every time to 10% runoff, this flushes out part of the old nutes as the new nutes are being delivered.

You mentioned standard NPK nutes but not all NPK nutes can be used in coco. Exactly what NPK nutes are you using? Some nutes are made for soil, others are made for coco or hydro but they are not all interchangeable. I think we need to dig deeper here on the specific product you are using for NPK. Can you fill in the blanks there? This could be major issue can’t put diesel in gasoline engine & vice versa

Last but most important - you must get everyone that cares for the plant to follow this same deal as discussed here... else your plant goes further in the ditch! I’m soil grower but this crew knows their shite. Best of luck and stop back in to let us know how it’s going!
hey thanks alot for the help and your time, I definitely agree with what your saying and it makes complete sense, I use Plant products by MJ line, just there grow and bloom, so would be using just grow right now, mixed with General Hydroponics cal-mag, and Advanced nutrients b52, i will be going with straight AN products now that i now more, i only have this set up now because i had listened to the guy at the store selling me them and he swore by these things, i would much rather go with one straight brand, and seems like AN has a really good brand especially for coco and hydroponic uses. i was not adding the cal-mag first which was another mistake of mine, and i believe my lights where too high, i have 2 marsh hydro tsw 2000, both have 300 true watts, theres a dial meeter on it so i can cut it back i just assumed the more the better, also it seems fairly dim at lets say 60% strength each, also do you have any tips for cooling down the tent? i have 2 small clip fans running one at the top and one at the middle, then a bigger oscillating fan on the ground, i also have a inline fan on full strength, but still when i have my lights up full blast which i eventually want to be able to have them like say for flowering, it goes way too hot, i have to have my tent sides open a bit too keep it around 84, ive been struggling alot with controlling my temps and humidity, seems lately they are stable around 84f and 65%rh but again i gotta get that heat down. I just got off the phone with a rep from Plant Prod. MJ line, she could only tell me so much and im waiting to hear back from someone who knows more, but she said i was feeding too little npk, she also said i should do a good flush to fix the root zone before i continue to add any nutes, which i was told on here too.

Hello , coco is the easiest form of hydro growing , 5.8 ph always 350 ppm , 100 of the ppm is calmag , water every single day to a good heavy run off and dispose of the run off don't worry about the runoff ph or ppm , you cant over water coco , be sure you have a least 30 -40 percent perlite in the coco mix temps at 75-78 unless you are using co2 then you can get to 85 degree max , cloth pots so the mix drains quickly and the water has to be oxygenated also make sure you nutes are used for a hydro grow -not soil and don't bother with organics in coco they take too long to be available to the plant as they get flushed out , never every plain water ,add about 100ppm of a pk booster once the plants get to the 2-3rd week of flower , i use the 3 part gh nutes , , pink green purple add purple 1st then green then pink i use about 2.5 ml of each color , never let your coco dry out hope this helps ph is critical with coco 5.8-6 max , a ppm and ph meter are a must with coco , do not pre mix your rez and let it sit for more then a day ,it will cause bacteria to form in rez -gets slimmy, coco is a little more work but the results from it are worth it water temp should be 70 -72 degree in the rez at all time , don't use tap water ,r.o. is a must, tap water has to much salt and other shit in it
thank you so much wow seems like you have a good recipe going here lol seems like you really know what your doing and must grow some really good stuff, im going to try to follow this the best i can, im worried i fucked this grow up completely but i should try to see if i can save it. Are you familiar with Plant Prod. by MJ line? I was told i can use it for coco but idk if i was told right, i hope i didnt waste my money there, i would like to use what i have first before buying a better brand if i need to. So do you use that 3 part GH nutes for just the third week of flower? like was that the PK booster your saying to add, or was that your overall feeding dose? seems like maybe i should make the switch to the GH nutes then.

thank you so much wow seems like you have a good recipe going here lol seems like you really know what your doing and must grow some really good stuff, im going to try to follow this the best i can, im worried i fucked this grow up completely but i should try to see if i can save it. Are you familiar with Plant Prod. by MJ line? I was told i can use it for coco but idk if i was told right, i hope i didnt waste my money there, i would like to use what i have first before buying a better brand if i need to. So do you use that 3 part GH nutes for just the third week of flower? like was that the PK booster your saying to add, or was that your overall feeding dose? seems like maybe i should make the switch to the GH nutes then.
sorry also i use natural spring water is that bad? i have to use only R.O water? would i have to buy that machine thing for that? worried it might be too expensive.

You’re in luck my friend, not because you’re plants aren’t doing well but because I’m experienced in coco as well as Advanced Nutrients line-up.

First thing is, you do need to water your plants DAILY with lighter nutes then normal. (At least once until 20% run-off)

You have a serious lock-out, your first step now is to flush all of your plants with fresh pH balanced water (2:1 ratio of water to coco)

Coco requires either a base nutrient such as AN’s sensi coco or connoisseur coco line up, or you have to add the additional calcium (this is what I do)

But I will need you to flush and inform me of your nite regimen and we’ll get you to that great cannabis you seek.

:bongrip:
Definitely need water + feed atleast once a day for coco and you have fabric pots plus perlite perhaps even more then once

hi there, thank you for your response, i was told if i have a lock-out then the nutrients will be building up in the medium, but when i did my run off test yesterday it didnt have extremely high amounts of ec it was around what i was giving them, was i told wrong about lock-outs? also i use a standard npk for my base nutrients with cal-mag suppliment added, i was also told this should work good with coco, i can definitely tell my main issue was not watering daily from what everyone is telling me, i will surely water daily with lighter nutes like you have all told me once i sort this issue out, i just want to make sure i have a lock-out before i flush, but i guess a flush couldnt hurt them regardless right
PH?

hey thanks alot for the help and your time, I definitely agree with what your saying and it makes complete sense, I use Plant products by MJ line, just there grow and bloom, so would be using just grow right now, mixed with General Hydroponics cal-mag, and Advanced nutrients b52, i will be going with straight AN products now that i now more, i only have this set up now because i had listened to the guy at the store selling me them and he swore by these things, i would much rather go with one straight brand, and seems like AN has a really good brand especially for coco and hydroponic uses. i was not adding the cal-mag first which was another mistake of mine, and i believe my lights where too high, i have 2 marsh hydro tsw 2000, both have 300 true watts, theres a dial meeter on it so i can cut it back i just assumed the more the better, also it seems fairly dim at lets say 60% strength each, also do you have any tips for cooling down the tent? i have 2 small clip fans running one at the top and one at the middle, then a bigger oscillating fan on the ground, i also have a inline fan on full strength, but still when i have my lights up full blast which i eventually want to be able to have them like say for flowering, it goes way too hot, i have to have my tent sides open a bit too keep it around 84, ive been struggling alot with controlling my temps and humidity, seems lately they are stable around 84f and 65%rh but again i gotta get that heat down. I just got off the phone with a rep from Plant Prod. MJ line, she could only tell me so much and im waiting to hear back from someone who knows more, but she said i was feeding too little npk, she also said i should do a good flush to fix the root zone before i continue to add any nutes, which i was told on here too.
I use is a 6” exhaust fan that runs thru a carbon filter ducting out the top of the tent. With 600watts I think you’d be better with a 6 than a 4. I’m also using a variable switch on it to turn it down a bit. The vents are open on the bottom to draw in cooler floor air.
The driver on the outside as Patient P states will help too. Good Luck on your grow

Hi there, i water every other day and i water with nuts twice then just water the next, i have been told to water everyday but just seems like too much to me, i usually do every other day because thats when i notice the top starts to get dry i have pics yes here

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0296.jpeg
Water calmag, need to get some fans for air flow and ones in plastic containers lookm ready for end pot and final pot, air stone or not in a hydroponic grower usually on my 1st coco grow, the fabric pots and perlite should give plenty of oxygen , I did read ur not the only one watering or feeder I believe make sure u and your partner are keeping logs, example:
5/12 - greatweed24 :: 9 am 6 gal 600 ppms 5.8ph w/ 575 ppm run off
5/12 - partner ::: 1 pm 6 gal 600ppms 5.8ph w/ 550 ppm run off
You schedule may differ depending on light schedule so disregard time just showing a data entry but u can notice the run off difference showing plants are eating more

One thing I learned the hard way was by not watering coco to runoff. You will get salt build up and nutrient lockout. However, the saying "you can't overwater coco" is true but only applies when you have an established root system. Like, if you water new seedlings in large pots every day to runoff you'll have problems. Starting in small containers and transplanting in steps to the final container will make it easier.

Make sure you update with results of your troublshooting. Always good to see resolved threads.

Hi there, i water every other day and i water with nuts twice then just water the next, i have been told to water everyday but just seems like too much to me, i usually do every other day because thats when i notice the top starts to get dry i have pics yes here

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0296.jpeg
A little defol on lowers and I side will help as well as they are drawing water and nutes up, go ahead and remove anything dead from I m bottom or close to it, as it won't come back, I see you have a humidifier in the back are you not running it? Cool mist or warm steam? And u can you set tk rh% to the rh% want in your tent? Or just low med high

Hey 24 - Welcome to 420! Reiterating some of the above adding some new bits too. Forget soil, coco is nothing like soil - it’s drain to waste hydro - so hydro rules apply.

Don’t worry about your runoff ph or ppm numbers, runoff contains fine sediments from your coco plus old nutes or chemical salts. Make your measurements and adjustments to inputs, that is the water going in. Here’s what happens... newbies measure runoff and go oh shit! Then start jacking the inputs up or down to get a different number in runoff.... don’t chase that rabbit - it leads nowhere good. Runoff is like Vegas, what happens in the bucket - stays in the bucket.... or dribbles out the bottom, either way forget runoff

Temps - 86 or 88 Fahrenheit is too hot for indoors, its not enough to monitor the temp & rh but you must control it. Do whatever it takes to bring it down 80 to 82 is about the max however most run 78ish. For indoors - the environment is critical.....

No more plain water ever, as mentioned above (feed & irrigate) or fertigate as it’s called with light nutes every time with cal-mag added first as discussed above but make sure to feed every time to 10% runoff, this flushes out part of the old nutes as the new nutes are being delivered.

You mentioned standard NPK nutes but not all NPK nutes can be used in coco. Exactly what NPK nutes are you using? Some nutes are made for soil, others are made for coco or hydro but they are not all interchangeable. I think we need to dig deeper here on the specific product you are using for NPK. Can you fill in the blanks there? This could be major issue can’t put diesel in gasoline engine & vice versa

Last but most important - you must get everyone that cares for the plant to follow this same deal as discussed here... else your plant goes further in the ditch! I’m soil grower but this crew knows their shite. Best of luck and stop back in to let us know how it’s going!
Lol my 1st grow was an 2x2 mega garden ebb n flow (hydroponics) I didn't know to not have it continuously running i have no clue how I got it to get buf enough and then join here to get things corrected. You say standard NPK, I was using miracle grow granular, burning it, so what your npk nutes are critical. 99% of these guys are probably using RO water, I didn't get one until this last. So are using tap? Get a ppm reading of water prior to adding nutes. Some hope depots at the front have a free or 10 dollar water test kit , eithe80sr way worth it take a sample of your tap goes in to a cup n like a drug test. And includes postage, send off get results back mean. While of u are waiting and if u are indeed using tap at least have the amount u use in a day sitting in a reservoir or bucket preferably, just as @Emilya thought i keep an air stone in , even when mixing with no issue but I did see on youtube/ read some where its how did he say too aggressive to use when mixing so i went back,aà to old spatula. Plus I'm trying to find it but someone said don't use calmag if using silicate product where that came from i dunno.
Let's make this super simple as if ur not having fun or yield anything u might get discourage and not grow again.

So heat issue, yes co2 is great , but it's just another variable you have to deal with and bags and such without a co2 meter or controller you have no way to measure the ppm's of the CO2 so you don't even know if you're wasting your money or not. So to get you through your first grow take your intake fan inline fan and ported it out through the top and make it an exhaust fan. Then you can open the passive vents. Cooling of tent should be same as thr room u have it in, thus pulling in fresh air as well as elevated c02 levels, as u and I who ever u live with dogs and cats all exhale co2. Use humidifier in cool mode and set to desired rh%. As far as coco loco because its amended your seedlings should be good with just ph'd dechlorinated water for first 3-4 weeks again unless RO add calmag. And don't use spring water as like tap has metals and minerals in it. If you were using a clean meaning no nute coco its fine for seedlings.Take a reading just by itself, thr coco loco and amended soils or coco we call it " comes from manufacturer hot" meaning alrdy has nutes. Plus GH trio one recommend for hard water another for soft.
And temp wise you can grow at 82-85 not recommended until your really experienced. Is say stay between 75-79 if u can

When you finally start to feed usually after 2nd set of true leaves and id start there, don't go off manufacturers recommended as most nutes were tested on on other plants , there's a rule of thumb its like 300-500 ppm for seedlings early veg 500-700 veg and 700-900 ppm in flower. You do see people at 900-3000 but they have perfect environments and they are pros just get through your first and you will be happy and push ur limits next grow with new experience.

Back
Top Bottom