Kellex

Hi guys and gals, this is my first grow soooo here goes.

Not entirely sure on the strain, it was called purple durban. Not necessarily the most reliable source, but it probaby is what he said it was. It's a hybrid, 55% Sativa, 35% Indica. I have 9 plants going now. In early vegetative stage. Been about one and a half to two weeks since they sprouted. I'm growing indoor in soil. I used a local potting mix in about 1 gallon fabric pots that I made. I'm using CFLs, I have 13, 23-watt, 1600-lumen, 5000K bulbs about six inches above my top leaves right now. My space is 72cm x 72cm, so 0.5184 meters squared. Which means about 40,000 Lux or lumens per square meter, if my calculations are correct. It's air cooled, at around 81 - 82 F lights on, and 70 - 71 F lights off. Humidity is around 45 - 50 %, almost always. I have been hand watering with tap water, left out for a while to evaporate chlorine, etc. Tap water here is around 6.5 - 7.0 PH . I started with small amounts getting up 150 ml at a time, but seemed to be too much so backed down to 100 ml at a time. I water when the dirt is dry and cracked on top and just barely still moist under the surface about a centimeter down, about once a day, but I skipped a day when i gave them too much once. No pests as far as I know, and there's no reason to suspect pests.. I think.

I was planning on starting nutrients pretty soon, when I noticed some of my plants were getting little crimps in their leaves and ones leaves were very light colored and curling down quite a bit. Did a little research and am pretty sure the crimps were from a PH imbalance and the light curly leaves were from a nitrogen deficiency. So I figured it was time to start feeding them nutrients and properly testing PH levels. I went to my local garden shop and picked up a PH kit and General Organics Go Box.

That day the light colored curled plant developed brown tips on it's leaves before I was able to water them with nutrients. I watered them with the nutrients that night and by mid day the next day all of my plants looked better, even the ones that already seemed healthy seemed even better. Haven't seen any more crimps and the light curled one with brown tips had a huge change, the brown tips were slightly larger but there was now a clear difference between the now very green healthy leaf part and the unhealthy part.

That was two days ago, and my plants are doing well for the most part. The one with the brown tips wasn't getting any worse and was growing again, but today I noticed that its new leaves have tiny brown tips and are very curled and much lighter in color again.

Just hoping for some advice to see if I'm on the right track and what I can do to help my little buddies.

Here's the one who's had it the worst.

This one's showing some signs of something on its tips.

And this is my healthiest for comparison.

I know it's a long post, thanks for any help!!! :Namaste:

Looks good dude , I'm a newbie grower as well . I'd say those look like some healthy plants you have there . When I have young plants like those I find my biggest problem is usually with overwatering . That could be causing some of the drooping that your having . Small and young plants need very little nutrients and that could be the reason for the tiny brown tips. Maybe try raising your lights a few inches . I have my plants vegging under a 400 watt mh and I keep it like 2 feet away from my girls and they love it. Good luck with the grow .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

"I water when the dirt is dry and cracked on top and just barely still moist under the surface about a centimeter down, about once a day, but I skipped a day when i gave them too much once."

Sounds like you are overwatering, and the droopiness of your seedlings seems to back this up. Also, looks like you have some rot or a deficiency on those first too.

Use a good moisture meter pushed all the way down into your medium. Dryness one cm down doesn't really tell you anything.

Hi guys and gals, this is my first grow soooo here goes.

Not entirely sure on the strain, it was called purple durban. Not necessarily the most reliable source, but it probaby is what he said it was. It's a hybrid, 55% Sativa, 35% Indica. I have 9 plants going now. In early vegetative stage. Been about one and a half to two weeks since they sprouted. I'm growing indoor in soil. I used a local potting mix in about 1 gallon fabric pots that I made. I'm using CFLs, I have 13, 23-watt, 1600-lumen, 5000K bulbs about six inches above my top leaves right now. My space is 72cm x 72cm, so 0.5184 meters squared. Which means about 40,000 Lux or lumens per square meter, if my calculations are correct. It's air cooled, at around 81 - 82 F lights on, and 70 - 71 F lights off. Humidity is around 45 - 50 %, almost always. I have been hand watering with tap water, left out for a while to evaporate chlorine, etc. Tap water here is around 6.5 - 7.0 PH . I started with small amounts getting up 150 ml at a time, but seemed to be too much so backed down to 100 ml at a time. I water when the dirt is dry and cracked on top and just barely still moist under the surface about a centimeter down, about once a day, but I skipped a day when i gave them too much once. No pests as far as I know, and there's no reason to suspect pests.. I think.

I was planning on starting nutrients pretty soon, when I noticed some of my plants were getting little crimps in their leaves and ones leaves were very light colored and curling down quite a bit. Did a little research and am pretty sure the crimps were from a PH imbalance and the light curly leaves were from a nitrogen deficiency. So I figured it was time to start feeding them nutrients and properly testing PH levels. I went to my local garden shop and picked up a PH kit and General Organics Go Box.

That day the light colored curled plant developed brown tips on it's leaves before I was able to water them with nutrients. I watered them with the nutrients that night and by mid day the next day all of my plants looked better, even the ones that already seemed healthy seemed even better. Haven't seen any more crimps and the light curled one with brown tips had a huge change, the brown tips were slightly larger but there was now a clear difference between the now very green healthy leaf part and the unhealthy part.

That was two days ago, and my plants are doing well for the most part. The one with the brown tips wasn't getting any worse and was growing again, but today I noticed that its new leaves have tiny brown tips and are very curled and much lighter in color again.

Just hoping for some advice to see if I'm on the right track and what I can do to help my little buddies.

Here's the one who's had it the worst.

This one's showing some signs of something on its tips.

And this is my healthiest for comparison.

I know it's a long post, thanks for any help!!! :Namaste:

55% sativa 35% indica? What's the other 10%? Lol

Is it a autoflower?

What Soil are you using

Did you mix any perlite with it? Doesn't look like it. Any vermiculite ? To aerate the soil

Pure. Potent. Vapor

Lol, 65 Sativa 35 Indica.

Not autoflower.

I'm just using a local potting mix, it didn't have any N-P-K ratios or anything. It had some perlite and peat moss mixed in.. that's all it really said. I was thinking the fabric pots I made would do well enough for aeration, they're made of a super thin and breathable landscaping fabric. The soil around the sides and bottoms of the pots is always super dry.

That being said if I feel closer to the core of soil in the pot it's nice and moist. Not too moist I would think, but I am new to this and have no real reference as to how moist it should feel. The consensus seems to be that I've probably over-watered them, and I tend to agree at this point. Which as you guys said is probably causing the drooping, so that leaves the tips. Although there was slight browning on the tips of one of them before I started nutrients, most of it came after. So I'm thinking the brown tips are probably nutrient burn.

Now my question is, am I on the right track here or am I going farther down the rabbit hole?

And if this is the case, should I wait for them to soak up the excess moisture before watering at all to help with the over-watering first before I flush the nutrients?

Or should I flush the nutrients now to deal with the nutrient burn then leave them to dry out?

I guess the question is; which is worse and should be helped first?

For the time being I'm just leaving them to see how they progress, do some more research and wait for replies. As hard as it is. Thanks for all the input so far!

Lol, 65 Sativa 35 Indica.

Not autoflower.

I'm just using a local potting mix, it didn't have any N-P-K ratios or anything. It had some perlite and peat moss mixed in.. that's all it really said. I was thinking the fabric pots I made would do well enough for aeration, they're made of a super thin and breathable landscaping fabric. The soil around the sides and bottoms of the pots is always super dry.

That being said if I feel closer to the core of soil in the pot it's nice and moist. Not too moist I would think, but I am new to this and have no real reference as to how moist it should feel. The consensus seems to be that I've probably over-watered them, and I tend to agree at this point. Which as you guys said is probably causing the drooping, so that leaves the tips. Although there was slight browning on the tips of one of them before I started nutrients, most of it came after. So I'm thinking the brown tips are probably nutrient burn.

Now my question is, am I on the right track here or am I going farther down the rabbit hole?

And if this is the case, should I wait for them to soak up the excess moisture before watering at all to help with the over-watering first before I flush the nutrients?

Or should I flush the nutrients now to deal with the nutrient burn then leave them to dry out?

I guess the question is; which is worse and should be helped first?

For the time being I'm just leaving them to see how they progress, do some more research and wait for replies. As hard as it is. Thanks for all the input so far!

I would re transplant it into a smaller container. Bcuz doing a flush in a big pot like that with a little girl like that would most likely damp her off. Die. Drown. Lol. Especially if there isn't aeration in the soil itself

That's what I'd do. Re transplant into something smaller and refrain from giving it any nutrients until it uses up the nutrients in soil.

Pure. Potent. Vapor

I don't see a flush being necessary at this point, like PagodaVapors said it would most likely lead to a drowning . l think your best bet would be leaving the plants right in the fabric pots you have them in now . See what happens by not giving them any water for the next couple of days. Then, when you know for a fact that all of the soil in your pot is bone dry. Give them a good watering with very little nutrients, using enough water so that all of the soil in your pot is moist and you have a small amount of runoff from the bottom. After that you shouldn't have to give them anything for at least a week or until the soil is dry again.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Just a quick update. It's about 1 am here and I want to go to bed! But, I just finished a time-lapse video of the last 5 days of my grow!

Here is the video: Seedlings Getting Needed Water - YouTube

Had a bit more input from other sites.. some good, some bad. In the end I did pretty much what you said smalltent. Went well!.. for most of my plants, haha. Some were too far gone to make a speedy recovery, but they'll make it to flower I think.. If they're female. I think I'm going to start a journal. Tomorrow.

Pretty cool time lapse video. I'm a new grower as well, two weeks into flowering and I wish I did a time lapse. Would have been cool to see my babies grow like that. As I said, I'm newbie too, so I don't take what I say as law. Maybe some of the more experienced growers here will elaborate or maybe even contradict me, but I'll give you a few pointers based on my own research and limited experience.

I wouldn't typically recommend transplanting into a smaller pot but it might make sense in your case. The fabric pots are great because they prevent the roots from getting bound and allow oxygen into the soil, but your stunting growth by starting in such a large pot. Because it has more room to grow, the plant is going to put more energy into building roots than it will growing the plant itself. My main reason for transplanting, though, is the fact that you're using a generic soil which I assume is not organic.

I started mine in MiracleGro which I learned afterwards is not the best for your plants. When I transplanted I put them into Fox Farms Happy Frog which has worked great for me. Some people mix it with other stuff. I have yet to try that. And some people prefer Ocean Forrest by Fox Farms but that's a hotter soil and more likely to burn your plants. The problem with a generic soil, though, is you're using organic fertilizer. I use the Go Box too and it's worked great (I only use half the recommended dosages). But if you're using a chemical soil then it doesn't have microbes in it which help the plant absorb the nutes.

I also question starting nutes at such an early stage. I used the Go Box nutes while they were in MiracleGro and it caused blue splotches to form on the leaves. So I stopped and didn't start again until about a week after I transplanted into the FFHF. After that I had no problems.

Another thing to consider, and I've read mixed reviews on this, is pH-ing your water. I use tap water which I leave out for a few days to evaporate the chlorine. It starts at a pH of 7. Once I mix all the nutes, though, the pH drops to 5. So I mix in 1 1/2 tsp of General Hydroponics pH Up per gallon of water and it gets back to 6.5. I was watering every 3 days, twice with nutes and then once plain water with no pH altering. Since my girls got larger I'm watering every two days, alternating between nutes and plain water every other time. Just something to consider.

I hope this helps, but like I said, I'm new too. So if anyone wants to contradict me I won't get offended. Just because I'm a proud papa, I'm gonna throw in a couple pics of my girls. Just bragging haha! Happy growing!

image1_1_2.jpeg
image21014.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom