New grower needing some starting tips

cannabis grows best at around 15c and in soil that is 80% of saturated.

Not too many on this site subscribe to those facts though.

Not too many on other sites either .. no comment on the soil saturation tho .. I stumble on 80% as being best often too, backed up with test results, so not gonna argue there. IIRC, people here dont advocate dry soil, they advocate the dry cycle being important as well .. from what I understood the advice is to wet the soil to about saturation, then let it go a little dry before watering again. Is this detrimental to the plants ?

https://----------.com/growing_guide/temperature.php
https://www.--------.org/general-marijuana-growing/51378-temperature-humidity.html
Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Grower's Handbook

Get a grow tent it will be one of the best investments you can make....Grow box has too many things you will need to control. With a grow tent you will also have more space higher head room to grow bigger trees :) They come in a variety of sizes to fit any type of room. I have a secret jardin DS 90 it is awesome!!!! What is awesome about grow tents is you can pick what kind of grow you are going to do soil?!? no problem!!! Hydroponics??? even better!!!! Also I read that you want to go light on electricity and are considering CFLs or LEDs i would suggest going with HID maybe a 250 watt system if you want to go small but with 5 plants i would highly recommend a 600 watt setup like what i got :)

i found this. i plan on getting the book when next convenient to do so.
Hemp Diseases and Pests: Management and Biological Control : an Advanced Treatise
plant_needs.jpg

Get a grow tent it will be one of the best investments you can make....Grow box has too many things you will need to control. With a grow tent you will also have more space higher head room to grow bigger trees :) They come in a variety of sizes to fit any type of room. I have a secret jardin DS 90 it is awesome!!!! What is awesome about grow tents is you can pick what kind of grow you are going to do soil?!? no problem!!! Hydroponics??? even better!!!! Also I read that you want to go light on electricity and are considering CFLs or LEDs i would suggest going with HID maybe a 250 watt system if you want to go small but with 5 plants i would highly recommend a 600 watt setup like what i got :)

At the moment I have 4 seeds in the ground .. all of which came from lousy bags of weed. I soaked them in water for 18h, and 3 sank .. one kept on floating. I dumped them in regular soil with a nutrient base of 9,9,8 or something and I'm hoping at least one or two will sprout. Given my seeds, I'm not willing to put in over €200,- for a complete growtent set-up from the get-go.

I'll go with CFL's for now .. I can put out 10k lumen for half the price of the cheapest 250w HPS system. I wont expect a killer crop under CFL's but if I can get enough product to last me a month or 2 (which would be around 120g. total, including QWISO-ed or VG-tinctured trimmings), I'll be able to buy a tent with better lights, altho I still wont go HPS then, but more likely LED, due to detection and heat management (aka operating cost) issues.

I have looked for second-hand tents .. but for the prices I can get those for, I can save another €100,- and buy a new one, complete with lights and everything.

So right now the growroom is a couple of stacked boxes, wallpapered with floor isolation (the silver reflective stuff) and 2 2900lm 6500k CFL's. I am going to kill my house ventilation, and hook it up to the growroom to create a bit of underpressure, and as soon as I see some leaves, I'll add 3 more CFL's for a total of 5.

I am going to arange lights in a dice 5 pattern .. one in the center, 4 on the axis ends. When I get to flowering (if I get that far) I'll leave the center 6500k and switch the axis-end lamps to 2700k's and double up on lamps, aranging two of said configurations above eachother.

If this first grow gives me something in the range of 120g of product, I'll be able to upgrade from the savings and grow a second crop under better conditions, but I cant afford an investment of over €300,- for a trial run on bagseed ;)

just wanted to comment on this 'underpressure' thing.

Negative pressure is only meant to be used in conjunction with carbon filters to ensure zero smell.
without carbon filters to clean your air of smell, there is NO point in a low air pressure enviroment.

less pressure equals less o2/co2 ppm in the tent and thats not a good thing.
much easier to run a marathon on the ground than it is 10k feet up the side of a mountain where the air is thinner.

negative pressure is like a tracheostomy...not all that good for you, but handy in very specific situations.

just wanted to comment on this 'underpressure' thing.

Negative pressure is only meant to be used in conjunction with carbon filters to ensure zero smell.
without carbon filters to clean your air of smell, there is NO point in a low air pressure enviroment.

less pressure equals less o2/co2 ppm in the tent and thats not a good thing.
much easier to run a marathon on the ground than it is 10k feet up the side of a mountain where the air is thinner.

negative pressure is like a tracheostomy...not all that good for you, but handy in very specific situations.

Ah ... I thought it had to do with giving the plants fresh air :p No carbon filters in my first setup, not much need for cooling either, so I guess I could do without .. I'd still need a fan for air circulation right ?

So I decided to give myself no option but to build a room faster then fast ... as else I will remain planning 4ever.
So I filled 4 pots with a biological soil, whatever the f that is, with a nutrient base of 9-9-8 iirc.
Poked 4 little holes of about 2cm deep in each, dropped my soaked seeds in, and closed the holes again.

Misted twice a day, kept at a reasonable warm place, and much to my surprise, I have 4!! seeds sprouting, altho one of them (the floater I guess) is having a bit of trouble breaking the dirt.. so I helped a whee little bit. I'm not sure yet if I will end up with 4 plants, but at least I have 3 nice little plants calling out for daddy and a 4th trying real hard to not dissapoint :p

Day 1:
No pictures .. 4 pots with soil isnt all that interesting

Day 2:
No pictures .. same story

Day 3:

Not sure if I can call this a grow area or not :p

As you can see, two of 'em are breaking the dirt ^^ This is at 1900 ... three hours later:

This morning:

As you can see, it looks like all are breaking the dirt ^^

Since my plants decided I should grow at least 3, probably 4 of 'em ... how many lights should I get for them ? I guess 5 CFL's wont do it for 4 plants ?

(this is not the place where they will grow .. this is a quick fuck-I-need-to-give-them-light quick-fix)

I am going to slam together a box today made from the cheapest stuff I can find .. will post pictures later :p

Also .. would it hurt to not put in an air-exchange system from the start ? I need to order in-line fans for air intake and outlet, they will probably take till friday to arive :/

My bad i did not know you were growing bag seed but you know what I have seen some killer bud being grown with CFLs if you look up sirsly420 on youtube he has a killer grow with CFLs only pure sugar on those buds. Anyway you can get your feet wet is a good thing, You will enjoy the experience regardless of the yields. Good luck on your grow my friend may you harvest some bountiful fruit!!!! :D

If you want to put together a cheap fan find someone giving away a dryer and take the fan and motor assembly out and use that. I was using it for a lil bit till i found a good deal on 2 inline fans. They dryer motor and fan put out a good amount of air flow. I can post a pic of what it looks like if you want so you can get an ideal if you want to try it out.

Back
Top Bottom