New grower with issue

Thanks Urbanmonk for the info. This is my first grow and do much info is out there. Much of it accurate and helpful but some is not so accurate. I watched a video this morning where this guy washes his buds after harvest and before drying. He mixed it in a solution of lemon juice and baking soda. Acid and an alkaline which I would think cancells eachother out. He never states the advantage of it.
You are correct that BS is alkaline and LJ is acid. They do tend to neutralize each other's PH. That happens in a redox (reduction /oxidation) reaction. The advantage is, it helps to remove the crud on your bud. It might not matter to your crop but it can make a big difference in taste if you had to use any insecticides, are in a dusty environment, or use foliar feeding, among other things.

There is a whole topic on the bud washing thing here too, many folks swear by it as you will tell if you read thru the topic. I'm just too "old school" I guess as it just seems "so wrong"......to each their own, and whatever works for you more power to you. On my 2nd grow so I'm seriously still learning the "how to grow right" part, almost past the "flying by the seat of my pants" stage at least ;) LOL.
I've done both for years. How much it helps depends on the crop. It never hurts anything when done correctly. I grow indoors and out. Outdoor crops are covered in dust, bug and bird shit, and I usually have to resort to some kind of spray for pests. The amount of crud that comes off is significant. Washed buds still test as well for THC content. Doc recently had some tested at more than 32%.

Wash on left / rinse on right. The top photo is from plants w/o foliar feeding. The bottom photo is from plants with lots of foliars. It got a third dunk/rinse in a bucket not shown. I'm happy not to ingest all the crap the wash left behind (including a few bugs).

GT_Wash.jpg

Bud_Wash1.jpg

YMMV. I'm not trying to convince or convert anyone - just giving you my experiences.

I hear ya and when I first heard of it I thought it was a joke. Ive read some more on the topic and I will try it with this groe. This is my first grow and am treating thisbas only experimental. Of course I want it to be successful but rather want to make my mistakes with this grow. My next grow will be White Widow seeds and that I want perfect. Ive krpt a journal cause I cant remember shit...lol

:goodjob: you found out how to upload pictures.
First, auto plants grow faster with more light 18/6 or up. They don't need switching lights.
Did the plant have the black tips before re potting? Was the light on 12/12?
Are the roots ok in pot?

Thanks for the info Major Pita and it makes sense to me. I was thinking the bud would absorb the water like a sponge and it would wash all the trichomes off. I understand theyvare an oil and the water will have no affect. Also the bud wont be absorbent. Even though Im growing in a controlled environment in a grow tent I do have dust and pets. Iwill try it with this crop. My two babies just started to flower this week and am really excited. Thanks again for the input and will post my results.

Angry bird...well I have transplanted twice now and the black tips were not there until I transplanted the second time. The second transplant was done too doon and the roots fid not reach the edge of the pot.
The lights were 20 on 4 off until this week when they started to flower. So are you saying to keep the lights at 18 and 6 or more and they will flower faster?

Angrybird. I also have not added nutrients yet. I did not during the veg stage. I just bought today a food tecommended by the store for flowering called Roots Organic Buddha Bloom...0.5-2-1 ratio. I asked him shouldnt the phosphate and potash numbers be higher and he told me not with organic food but will see higher numbers in the chemical ones. I hope this is a good food to use. I also discovered this Foxfarm soil Im using isnt all that good. I saw a video where a mix of 4 or 5 different soils were mixed together to make a balanced soil. I want to try that on my next grow.

During my research, i came up on this:
Autos need light to produce better and if they have less hours of sun, they don't have the energy to do so.

Are all of the tips black> new leaves have it too? Was it "almost all tips at once going black or "a few here and there" at first?

It could be roots, but I am not sure.

Understood. I will change the lighting back to 18 and 6. It wasn't all the leaves but rather started around the time I transplanted and now most of the new leaves have it too. Otherwise they are growing nicely.

I'm sticking with phosphorus deficiency. It looks different in veg than in bloom. Causes necrotic sections on leaves starting at tips and edges. The claws make me think it might be over watering also.

Next step is to take photo in natural or incandescent light so we can see leaf color. That will help if anything else is going on.
+reps for first photo upload. I remember how long it took me to figure out.

Just to be clear, if the black tips started after replant, then I believe something happened to the roots during re plant, but I will call in my "auto expert guy" thebeast wait..

YMMV. I'm not trying to convince or convert anyone - just giving you my experiences.

Yep Ditto, just a IMHO as it seems so wrong in principle to me lol. To me if it was a major health hazard I would have been dead a long time ago from that crap we smoked in the late 70s ;) (found rusty nails, pieces of wood, dead rodents etc... etc... out of QP's of "dirtweed"). All the crud we breath in just breathing is probably pretty bad too, though if you Medical and have an immune system problem then I can see trying to limit what goes into you, but at that point you probably ingesting it and not smoking it anyway.

I dont think I will buy anymore auto flowering seeds. I only did thistime because of product description sounded like a flavorful and smooth strain. I understand where some like the Autoflower aspect but think Ill stick with regular strains.

Rabbi...thanks and I will take a photo under normal lights. Do you recommend I purchase a soil test kit that will show the fertilizer levels? Otherwise I dont have a clue.

Autos aren't that difficult to grow, something has just happened here.
My believes are that autos prefer to either be placed in final pot at once or coco pellet/rooter first and then final pot.

Thanks Angry bird...I love them...I changed my lighting back to 18 on 6 off. I also upgraded today to a bong. Pretty damn expensive. Was made by a guy named Jerome Baker who supposedly is pretty famous for making bongs. My first burn will be my product. Getting into this all the way...lol

So am I, i made my first canna butter the other day and with that, some cookies, awesome buzz and no coughing from smoking a ake joint.
Hubby made a bong lol it looks funny, but it works. Take a pic of it so I can see it. :)

Now THAT is something I want to learn about is making the butter and other liquids. Ive only since recently even heard about those. I figured you a guy...how chauvinistic of me....lol

Back
Top Bottom