New guy with ideas

ww4727

I am new to the mag, and rekindling my attraction to 420. I enjoyed in college 30 years ago but then stopped. Now I find it greatly helps my back so I am dipping my toes back into it.

I am trying my first grow in a small reflective closet I built in my shop. I will post my ideas as I develop them. The first thing I am working on is DYI carbon filter that will scrub the air so nobody knows what you are doing. I am in engineer by training and practice and am applying my working knowledge to this one. Once I have the kinks worked out I will share it with everybody. My goal is zero odor, 100% of the time. IT is doable.

Until later.

ww4727 welcome to our community, and nice way to get things rolling is to post in our Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine section, sounds like with being an engineer you will be more than capable of getting yourself on your feet but there is a lot of information here and that is a great way for it to find its way to you.

Any questions you may have just shoot

Enjoy it here and spread the word

Green

welcome aboard.
I was able to keep the smell down to zero for my small grow, but once it came down to harvest time and trimming, I smelled up the whole house. :)

My concern is harvest. Based on what I have read, that is strongest smell. I am working on a multi-layered activated carbon filter that can easily be replaced. The key with carbon is recognizing that the fluid (air) will find a preferential path and the ability to mitigate that is important. What I am attempting to do is create a simple filter with an oversized fan that will repossition the carbon to continually change the path of least resistance. I am starting out with a 50 cfm bathroom fan in an 8 x 8 x 12 box to see how deep a carbon bed I can float (imagine mexican jumping beans).

I am also going to make this multi-stage. The first stage will loose activation as it fills with volitial organics (the odor) but the second stage should add life. As the first stage dies off, the second stage can be moved down and a new second stage installed. By doing it this way, noted breakthrough can be monitored between stages and corrected before the odor is noticable in the room. It is an experiment.

sounds like a good one we also have a Do It Yourself if you would like to outline your progress on your filter and explain how you did it.

Green

There are lots of people with lots of ideas that they are developing as we speak. The WWW has made life so much more simple for us to make quality buds and extracts.

Being in a very straight profession and essentially living a double life I have found it to be much easier to work with hash. It is stronger and has almost no smell compared to bud. I am not sure if that is a concern of your's but thought I would throw that out there.

It is really tough to hide the smell of some hanging plants when you harvest. You can isolate them and use various methods to scrub or hide the smells, but as soon as you open the door you make the whole house reek. I can always tell when my Oregon Med patients are drying because you can smell it at the front door before you even knock. Me, I use an Ionizer in the garage and it seems to work pretty good.

The key to controlling the odor is two fold. 1) must maintain a negative pressure on the volume being scrubbed. 2) must have adequate means to scrub the air.

Maintaining a negative pressure is relatively simple. Put a fan on the space that will change the air volumes at least once per minute with a source of clean air into the space. This cant be accomplished within the space that the air is to be scrubbed, in this case the grow area. The air has to be removed from the space (or room) and the fan has to be of sufficient size to accomplish this quickly. In my case, I have a small space and will change the air in it every 15 seconds.

The means to scrub the air can be either a wet or dry scrubber. I am starting out with just a dry carbon scrubber because it is easier to build and activated carbon is relatively simple to attain. The carbon bed has to be thick enough to remove the odor (volatile organics in this case) in one pass. I am redoubling my system by making it two stages. That is two independent layers of carbon. The first gets loaded and fails allowing for a change in media prior to an odor problem. The second is redundant but also keeps the system working when the first stage fails.

I agree with the hash comments and may go there in the end, but I thought I would try to make this work first. It is a relatively simple approach.

I am moving this discussion to the DYI forum but will still respond to this one if people comment.

Back
Top Bottom