New Hampshire Voters Support Medical Marijuana, New Poll Says

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
House Committee to Consider Medical Marijuana Bill Monday

CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE – Laws protecting seriously ill patients from arrest for using medical marijuana with their doctor's recommendation enjoy broad support among New Hampshire voters, a Becker Institute poll revealed today.

Sixty-eight percent of the 400 registered New Hampshire voters polled said they support a state law to "allow people with cancer, AIDS, multiple sclerosis and other serious illnesses to grow and use marijuana for medical purposes, as long as their physician approves." Among registered Republican voters, 56 percent voiced support. Seventy percent of independent voters favored the statement.

The poll, conducted Feb. 23 to 25, is particularly relevant now as the House Health, Human Services and Elderly Affairs Committee prepares to hold the first legislative hearing on HB 774 – the medical marijuana bill – Monday, said bill sponsor Rep. Tim Robertson (D-Keene).

"This poll is just another indication that New Hampshire's medical marijuana bill is not only sensible, compassionate legislation – it's also politically popular," he said. "Voters are sending us a clear message: Give us a humane medical marijuana law now."

Although federal law makes patients who use doctor-recommended medical marijuana criminals, 11 states have effective laws protecting patients for whom serious research proves the medicine is safe and effective, including those suffering from symptoms associated with life-threatening diseases such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis, and hepatitis C.

"I'm not at all surprised to learn that the overwhelming majority of Granite Staters support people like me who only want the freedom to make the best medical decisions possible," said Ian Taschner, who suffers from severe nausea. "I should be able to battle my debilitating symptoms and lead a semi-normal life without having to worry that using my doctor-recommended medicine makes me a criminal."

News Moderator - User 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Marijuana Policy Project
Copyright: 2007 Marijuana Policy Project

Back
Top Bottom