New harvest hermies

Fomerballer

I just harvested my 12 week old Northern Lights Auto from CKS.

I have a couple lower level popcorn buds with some seeds. It was only a couple that were down low and didn’t get a lot of light. Is this normal for NLA? Will the seeds be Fem? Are they worth keeping?

My final was 6 oz top buds 6 oz popcorn and 5 oz trim and shake. Of the 6 oz popcorn maybe 5 small buds had seeds.

Thanks just curious

Lack of light on the bottom buds would not cause them to put out seeds. but it is fairly common for a female plant, when unpollinated, to "self-seed" late into bloom. It's kind of a "preservation of the species" thing.

Assuming this is what happened, and you did NOT have a hermie or accidental pollination from a male plant, the seeds will be genetic clones of the mother plant. So, you'll have some feminized seeds. I love when this happens and always keep any seeds I find.

If your plant was a hermie, you do NOT want to keep the seeds. If it was accidentally pollinated, it would be fun to grow the seeds out, but you'd then have a chance of growing a male.

:Namaste:

K

Lack of light on the bottom buds would not cause them to put out seeds. but it is fairly common for a female plant, when unpollinated, to "self-seed" late into bloom. It's kind of a "preservation of the species" thing.

Assuming this is what happened, and you did NOT have a hermie or accidental pollination from a male plant, the seeds will be genetic clones of the mother plant. So, you'll have some feminized seeds. I love when this happens and always keep any seeds I find.

If your plant was a hermie, you do NOT want to keep the seeds. If it was accidentally pollinated, it would be fun to grow the seeds out, but you'd then have a chance of growing a male.

K
If it was a hermie wouldn’t it be more than just a couple popcorn buds‍♂️?

If it was a hermie wouldn’t it be more than just a couple popcorn buds‍♂️?

Yes, almost certainly! I'm just putting in my required disclaimers! :laugh:

It would be possible, for example, for you to have been exposed to male pollin that got on your clothes and you accidentally transferred to some of the lower buds. But, it's unlikely a hermie which would have spread its pollin all over the tent and pollinated everything, especially with some fans blowing. ;)

Yes, almost certainly! I'm just putting in my required disclaimers! :laugh:

It would be possible, for example, for you to have been exposed to male pollin that got on your clothes and you accidentally transferred to some of the lower buds. But, it's unlikely a hermie which would have spread its pollin all over the tent and pollinated everything, especially with some fans blowing. ;)

Do you know will these seeds be Auto or fem? Mama was a Auto.

I went through most of the popcorn buds and only a few had seeds so I saved them. I got about 50 plus or minus. Curious what they will do Mama plant produced about 14oz buds

Do you know will these seeds be Auto or fem? Mama was a Auto.

I went through most of the popcorn buds and only a few had seeds so I saved them. I got about 50 plus or minus. Curious what they will do Mama plant produced about 14oz buds

If the pollen donor was also an auto, the seeds should be auto. And, if the pollen donor was from a female that hermied, the seeds will also be female. For more info, see Quick Course In Cannabis Cross-Breeding & Genetics. I discuss autos towards the end of the post.

K

A correction to some things stated above: the seeds of any herm will NOT be genetic clones of the mother plant. Actually no seeds will be genetic clones from a heterosexual cross, even from the same parent plant that has hermed. Genetic recombination will still occur, and each seed will be genetically unique. They will be very similar in genetics, but not identical. Only veg clones will be identical to the mother and even then over a longer period of time, there will be some genetic drift.

As for your herm seeds, this is not uncommon, especially with over-bred modern clones. In the event that they were not pollinated from some other source, which is unlikely given the location of the seeds, then the seeds will be S1, or selfed. The seeds you have (if they are viable) will also be feminized. In that they will produce all genetic females, but... they will also highly likely herm, and throw more male phenotype blooms like their mother did. This is the bane of modern breeding, and feminizing Cannabis seeds in modern times. Feminizing has created a higher percentage of seeds and plants that are genetic females, and has also created a higher percentage of plants that herm. But this is not always a bad thing. For example, Dog Bud hermed and created the seeds that resulted in Chem Dog, AKA Chemdawg, which subsequently was used to create many strains of Diesel and OG Kush.

Autos are believed to be mostly recessive genes (though there is some controversy about this), so you will likely get autoflowering plants from your seeds. This can be a good thing, as you produced your own seeds that will likely result in autoflowering plants that are nearly identical to the mother plant and are feminized and "hermized" for a lack of a better term. Actually, since it is difficult to clone autos (it can be done, but it is not easy), S1 seeds are a way to go to get free next generation plants. If that is the strain that you want to grow, and if it is a good rendition of NL. After about 4 generations there will likely be noticable degradation in the resulting selfed plants, from what I believe is the result of gene switching, with which Cannabis adapts rather rapidly to any environment without having to mutate. Much controversy about genetic switching as well, but that is what I believe happens.

I put 5 of the seeds wrapped in a wet paper towel on Friday last. Covered and put in dark place. 1 seed has popped barely. Maybe a mm or 2mm out of the shell. Nothing from the rest. That’s 4 days........

Patients, grasshopper, patience. Though typically I get all my seeds to pop within a few days when they are this fresh.

Ok 2 sprouted so I stuck one in a 5gal hydro. We shall see what she is. I’ll treat her like a Auto and go 18/6 full Lights. To be continued

Back
Top Bottom