New here, tincture is the topic, please assist

davy 930

420 Member
Hello.,I have been reading lots and trying a few different things. I have made a batch with 1oz. of decarbed bud and 1 cup of 150 Everclear. I put them in the freezer separate for 2hr. then mixed and shook for 2min. Back in the freezer shaking 2 more times before bed and then in the morning shaken again for 2min.
I then strain it through cheesecloth and then a paper coffee filter.
The end product is very good imho.,I do it by the dropper.,one or two squeezes depending.,I am 67 and a hard core puffer.,I like the tinture also though so have been playing around.,
I couldn't get myself to throw away the used bud so I am mixing it with my smoking bud and couldn't be happier.,Now I feel like I get my tinture just for the price of the alcohol.,My last batch yielded 18oz. of tinture from a 750ml bottle of Everclear.,so the tinture is $1.45 per ounce.,This is about 4-5 days worth.,Not too bad.,
Next is a question for the more experienced tintuneers.,There are all kinds of methods suggested to make this stuff.,Freezing it first to help the trichomes? fall off makes sense to me.,but then using freezing cold alcohol to dissolve/ absorb it into doesn’t make sense to me?.,Wouldn't warm alcohol do a better job?
Any thoughts and replies are very appreciated.,I'm an old hippie with a few telescopes.,Best2all.

If you have a desktop vape you can get double duty out of your buds. Vape them first then use AVB (already vaped bud) to make your tincture. Vape counts as decarb…

The wash can be done at room temp but most use step involving freezer to winterize it (removes plant waxes and lipids) You get better stripping of trichs with 190 grain food grade alcohol as opposed to 151. The grain alcohol can be cooked down to render concentrated cannabis oil aka RSO Rick Simpson oil. Dont try this ^ cook down step when you are stoned tho ^ and don’t use open flame. We can prolly point you at tutorial if that helps

Some folks use isopropyl alcohol to strip trichs but isopropyl alcohol is NOT FOOD GRADE and leaves nasty chemical residue that shouldn’t be smoked or ingested until the iso has been striped away.

do giggle web search for Master Wu‘s Green Dragon recipe

some folks do a quick wash 2 or 3 times technique while others do a soak for X number of hours / days. For tinctures adding LSL (liquid soy lecithin) is recommended to make it bio available. Most prefer cold since light & heat are the enemy of trichs.

Always shake the snot out of your tincture before dosing, can’t speak for others but for me holding it under the tongue seems to help with absorption. Eating a meal or fatty snack 20 minutes before dosing is recommended

I have seen Master Wu's method.,and about a hundred others . I guess I will just try to improve on my recipe a small batch at a time.
I also apply it under my tongue.,I like the burn.,My name is Davy.,sober 6yr,8mth,23days.,and I love the burn.,.lol.,
I have about a 5 month supply now but I still want to try different recipes. I have some nice purple nugs to play with.,
I can get organic grain alcohol 200 proof but it ain't cheap and I don't know if I "need" to use it. I'm pretty happy with what I've made at this point with the Everclear,.and it is available right in town.,
I read to use the freezer to avoid the chlorophyll and fats.,then I read the chlorophyll and fats are good for me and I should have them in my tinture.,I made some that I soaked for 3weeks and I like the taste of the freezer recipe better.,but the other chlorophylly wasn't too bad.,.So many choices.,So little time.,lol.,
Here is my liquid gold.,Best2all

20220621_202619.jpg

I am going to do another batch like I did last time.,I get 3 cups out of the Everclear and I use pint jars for mixing.,3 jars with 1oz of decarbd bud in each in the freezer overnight.,Last time I had the Everclear in the freezer as well.,but I think I want to try washing with warm alcohol in one jar.,
My reasoning for this is that I feel that the frozen resins will absorb into the warmer alcohol easier.,I'm thinking about 105°.,not hot.,no open flame,..I am no scientist.,I am just curious about this part of the process and am going to give it a go.,
I may start this tonight.,I will report back.,and would like any comments or suggestions.,Best2all

I have completed the first steps.,I decarbed 3oz. last night and had it in the freezer by 9pm. along with 16oz. of Everclear. Now 12hr. later I put half the alcohol in one jar and 1oz.bud and shook for 3min.and this mix went back in the freezer. Next I mixed 1oz. of frozen bud with 8oz.of warm alcohol.,barely warm to the touch.,shook 3min. then I strained the alcohol out letting it drain until it was mostly done dripping. I put the bud back in the freezer and the alcohol in the cupboard.,I will let the bud freeze for 3 hrs. and then shake again with its alcohol.,This mix I will keep at room temp and shake along with the freezer batch today and they both will sit overnight.,One frozen.,one room temp.,Tomorrow morning I will shake an strain both and do a taste test.,
The 3rd.oz. is still it the freezer as I am undecided.,it will keep till I sample the other two.,
Any thoughts.,

Ok.,I have found a new to me thing.,and that is to mash the bud and alcohol together.,I never did like the shaking thing.,lol.,I read this somewhere and can't find it or remember if they froze their decarbed bud.,but the mashing idea makes sense and they claimed mash for 6 minutes.,filter an enjoy.,Think of it like squeezing your teabag.,
So for my 3rd jar of frozen bud(1oz) .,I added 1 cup of room temp 151 Everclear and let it set 2 minutes with just a little swishing to get the bud wet. Then I bent a fork 90° and proceeded to mash.,slow and easy.,mash mash stir.,.mash mash stir.,2min.,rest.,2min,.rest.,2min ,.filter and test.,.I must say I am laughing.,I am impressed.,This is stronger than anything else I made.,even stuff that sat in the freezer for a week.,Bud and alcohol together for under 10 minutes.,Who'da thunk.,
So I did leave the other two jars overnight and they both got a good mashing before filtering.,They don't seem any better than the 10 minute wash.,and the 10 minute one is clearer if that makes a difference.,
So there is a good recipe if anyone is interested.,
Last but not least.,the icing.,.I took some of my last batch and evaporated half the alcohol off.,.Now it's very strong and the alcohol burn isn't so bad/good.,Best2all.,

alcohol burn isn't so bad/good.,Best2all.,
Hey Davey - I've been trying something similar but with Sambuca. For some reason, the dust left over from a 40% alcohol rinse (Sambuca) from an attempt to make a tinture seems to have the best effect. From the few times I have put a teaspoon of dust in my chili at lunch it hits about 45 minutes in and leaves me very happy until some times well after supper. This seems way longer than any other method I have tried. Could the very little bit of alcohol left in the dust make a difference??
I am trying to lay off for a bit but I'm going to do a bit more experimenting.
Mixing with vegetable glycerin takes a lot of the burn away...but I also discovered that Sambuca has a lot of sugar - when I try to let it air evaporate it gets real crusty.

Back
Top Bottom