New issue with flowering plant

Salton

Hello folks
I have seven plants, two white widow, two skunk#1, two Wonder Woman, and one black jack.
All are hybrids, no clue to percentages.
Growing in Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil
Flipped to flower Jan 4
Saw first flowers on the 12th. So two weeks into flower.
I have some in 7gal and some 5 gal cloth pots.
I have one 1000 watt HPS a basic wing reflector
My temps are 70 at minimum and 84 at max.
RH is as low as 45% and as high as 60% but controlled to around 50 for the most part.
I use RO water and PH to 6.3 or 6.4.
Using Fox Farm big Bloom, Tiger Bloom and grow big. 3 Tsp per gallon Big Bloom and two tsp of the others.
I had some spider mites, for which I over applied Neem Oil, nearly killing two of the girls. I think they are gone now.
I notice some gnats, but not many.
My room is 13ft by 9 ft. Right now my plants canopy covers about 5x6, but can be spread or snugged up.
I have a window AC unit on a separate thermostat so I don't have huge temp swings I was getting with onboard thermostat.
I have both a humidifier for light on and dehumidifier for light out.
Two fans, one on canopy one gently blows accross top of soil.

This is my first attempt to flower indoors. I have had success outdoors by simply not killing the plant and letting nature take its course, and have vegged indoors before.
I have made some errors, but it has been fairly smooth, thanks to the volume of readily available info on this site.
Now to my problem.
I have a Whit Widow that has been looking a bit thin. She is flowering, but not looking vigorous really. She is losing leaves, the lower ones are turning yellow and limp, damp feeling not crisp.
So this morning I checked on them just before lights out, and she dropped some leaves overnight, and she was turning away from the light. She is on the far edge of the light pool, so I don't think it's too intense for her, but something has her upset.
She is the plant on the far right. I didn't get a picture this morning, I will get one tonight.
DE7F5677-4392-4FC7-BCD8-47EF2D2C639F.JPG
[/url]

As a second note, I am trying to decide if I need a second light. I kind of hate to spend another couple hundred bucks, but I don't want to wish I had.

I am watering about every four days, with a splash between for those who ask for it, and I feed every other time. I didn't feed much in veg. Have only fed them three times I think.
I am using cal mag but only on water only not on feeding 5 ml per gal.

Sorry I don't have a picture of her looking away, I didn't think of it until lights were off.
Thanks for looking. I'm off to work to pay for my electric bill.

Hi! Looks like a really cool setup you got! Subbed! :)

My first batch ever went into soil i September and I've choosed LED with cfl backup in veg so I don't have that much experience but four sets of eyes is always better than two hehe.

My first thought goes to the light footprint, it definetly looks like the borders are outside of the "box" and isn't getting enough light to convert into photosynthesis. A 1000w HPS has at max a 35% power output into PAR and thats counting ground zero at 50" height from tests videos I've seen. That means you are loosing 65% of the energy that the light is producing whereas with a decent LED has the reverse results and the plants get a 65% energy absorbed into photosynthesis. Amazing! :)

Have you tried to move the ones one the sides to the middle instead and also making sure they are inside the footprint? I had to do alot of trimming in my small tent because I put 6 plants and they grew out of the tent literally hahaha.

Regarding deficiencies I am not sure at all because I had some with my plants but I never figured out what it was and the weed has come out great quality anyway so can just try to make next batch better!

Namaste from Barcelona!

My auto critical bilbo :)
420-magazine-mobile725251589.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I move them every time I water of feed, and turn them in between.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Well. I am fighting very hard the urge to add another 1000. I am pretty sure I will, so if it is just a matter of time, why wait, right? A few months ago I fretted for a couple of weeks over buying my first light, now I am spending money like a drunken sailor. I'm smoking dirt weed to offset the cost, well, we can't actually buy dirt weed, but I can get decent shake for $45 an ounce, or lesser quality for 3 oz for 50 bucks. I do have a jar of animal cookies I am using sparingly for when the shake doesn't cut the mustard. Just looking forward to smoking my own again, I hate paying for it.

I can't discern any problems from what I can see in your photos, but I had nothing but trouble with WW the times I tried to grow it. One fellow told me it's a 'calmag hog'.
I add calmag every time as a base for both watering and feeding.
Not saying that this is your issue at all because it doesn't necessarily fit with what you're describing- just putting it out there.

I have never seen a plant turn it's leaves away from the light before. It was really quite odd. I will see when I get home if it is doing it again. I gave her a little water with cal mag this morning. I don't know if that was the thing to do but I was a bit unsure if I watered her well the other night. I am methodical normally, but the edibles do funny things to my mind. I have been playing around with cannabutter sous vide style, and of course any cook must Taste his concoctions.
But I doubt water was involved in the issue.

420-magazine-mobile1283481835.jpg

This one looks like it's not a happy camper :/

That's the girl.

So I got home 30 minutes after lights on. She was leaning at the wall.
420-magazine-mobile1995599065.jpg

Another yellowing leaf.
420-magazine-mobile2020541408.jpg

Here is the other White Widow.
420-magazine-mobile2003573152.jpg

And the rest of the girls.
420-magazine-mobile1432864598.jpg

I did just add an air scrubber, and it was a little close to her so I moved that, and stopped the oscillating lower fan from blowing on her, and moved the dehumidifier away as well, in case she is bothered by wind.
I also lowered the thermostat two degrees. It is over 80 too much of the time.
All the other girls are leaning into the lights.

Well, I have to say I think she looks fine. And lower leaves that are way down near the bottom like that it's completely normal for them to die off. As for her leaning away, it could just be that the fan blew her over a little, that's quite a tippy looking container.
The plant looks happy normal to me, she just hasn't fattened up yet.
Take it all with a grain of salt. I'm just a guy 5000 miles away staring at some blurry pictures on a phone screen. But mostly I see a healthy plant.

I'll bet dollars to dimes (pesos to centavos? rubles to kopeks?) that she's leaning towards reflected light. And as stretched out as those plants are I think you need more light! I could be wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong.

Than
No you guys. I think I will add a light Monday. But upon close inspection it looks like I may be having a powdery mildew issue. I don't know if this has any relation to the issue, but I must deal with that.
I actually thought of the reflected light too, as I was smoking one in the room a bit ago. Glad to have that echoed. Thank you Rider.
I will dose them with 86 in the morning to ward off the mildew hopefully.
If I add another light I can spread them out a bit more and have better air flow, which should help everything I would guess.

Instead of adding a light which will add a whole lot of heat and suck more electric ,try a light mover.. We run a 1000 watt open hood with a light mover on a 3 foot x 9 foot table that works quite well . Powdery mildew 1 tablespoon of H2O2 to 1 gallon of water ..

You just spray that on the leaves?

Light mover. I will look into it. I have not priced them, and I'm no carpenter, but you do have a great point. I could use a bunch more space without adding a bunch more heat and utility bills which are both huge issues.

I had to spray yesterday for powdery mildew as 1 plant out of 12 had it ."This is why you need to check your plants everyday " We are 48 days into flower so not wanting to add anything that would screw up the buds we used 1 tablespoon of H2O2 to one gallon of water. With most sprays you need to be aware if it will burn the leaves while spraying with the lights on this did not burn anything .I checked early this morning and the plants all look good and no signs of mildew. And the light mover is definitely worth checking into .. Happy Growing .

Well now the mover looks even better. I just opened what I thought was the electric bill and it was a notice of high energy usage. They now have an extra charge for using too much. I am close to the trip level. My grow room is costing about 200 bucks a month.
Fortunately I am legal, so at least they won't call the cops on me.

Would definetly put some money into some cheaper alternative than HPS. Think I got about 30€ added on my bill with a 130w going 18hrs.

I didn't catch your name, my name is Will and your setup is very very close to my setup.
i grew 6 generations of White Widow and my plants all look just like yours do.
i chalked it up to genetics

Back
Top Bottom