New laws for Illinois

Hiya @Ronbo, it's not from a government website so I would say trust but verify but this is what I came up with:

"Medical marijuana patients will be permitted to grow up to five marijuana plants at a time. Other residents must apply for a license as a craft grower in order to grow marijuana. The penalty for unlicensed growing of marijuana is $200.00 or more depending on the amount. Prior to the new law being effective, minor marijuana cultivation offenses were punishable by up to one-year in prison and a $2,500.00 fine. "

(b) Cultivating cannabis for personal use is subject to the
following limitations:
(1) An Illinois resident 21 years of age or older who
is a registered qualifying patient under the Compassionate
Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act may cultivate
cannabis plants, with a limit of 5 plants that are more
than 5 inches tall, per household without a cultivation
center or craft grower license. In this Section, "resident"
means a person who has been domiciled in the State of
Illinois for a period of 30 days before cultivation.
(2) Cannabis cultivation must take place in an
enclosed, locked space.
(3) Adult registered qualifying patients may purchase
cannabis seeds from a dispensary for the purpose of home
cultivation. Seeds may not be given or sold to any other
person.

It goes on and on and on as usual govt mumbo jumbo and took awhile to even find that part :rofl: but unless they amended it that reads only registered Medical folks. I couldn't find an easier to read official govt thing on it that leaves out all the BS and just states rules in a short simple manor like OR has: Recreational Marijuana FAQs: Personal Use

Much nicer when you don't have to wade thru a bunch of baloney to find a gist of the rules ;)

If they did not put in the legal speak then it becomes very easy to interpret the law any way we want. Each person comes up with their own meaning. Next thing we know everyone finds a loophole. In the long run it is better to have the legal mumbo-jumbo because it results in fewer of the loopholes.

Eventually a lawyer will step up and simplify the legal terms and puts it all into something like that FAQ so that we all can understand without having to spend years in a law school. The FAQ is not the law, it is the law simplified.

We all seem to complain about the legal terms until we need a lawyer who understands them.

If they did not put in the legal speak then it becomes very easy to interpret the law any way we want. Each person comes up with their own meaning. Next thing we know everyone finds a loophole. In the long run it is better to have the legal mumbo-jumbo because it results in fewer of the loopholes.

Eventually a lawyer will step up and simplify the legal terms and puts it all into something like that FAQ so that we all can understand without having to spend years in a law school. The FAQ is not the law, it is the law simplified.

We all seem to complain about the legal terms until we need a lawyer who understands them.

Other times all their mumbo jumbo is what makes the loopholes too though ;) :rofl:, as sometimes they can be really vague. Either way what I saw was it was like a $200 fine if you growing 5 or less plants and you are not selling it and not a registered Med patient in IL now, which is a lot more a minor offense than it was before I bet. OR been a minor offense (many traffic tickets had higher bail) for possession of under an ounce for the last 40+ years until they went legal, but cultivating at all was a bigger can of worms and a major offense same as selling was. And don't get me started on Oregons seed rules ;) :rofl::rofl: 10 seeds total is a freaking joke ;)

..........Either way what I saw was it was like a $200 fine if you growing 5 or less plants and you are not selling it and not a registered Med patient in IL now, which is a lot more a minor offense than it was before I bet.
I don't know what it was before but I noticed the $200 fine when I looked up the topic before I made my post yesterday. It sounds like it was making it a decriminalized offense without making it a legal activity.

When the recreational issue was on the ballot in Michigan about 14 months ago most people relied on rumor or the 10 second sound bites on TV news to tell them what the law would be if it was passed. They avoided looking it up themselves and avoided the articles in the newspapers which did have better explanations of what was on the ballot than TV news. Even today, more than a year later I doubt that most recreational growers have read the law as approved by the voters to find out what happens if they have to many plants.

(b) Cultivating cannabis for personal use is subject to the
following limitations:
(1) An Illinois resident 21 years of age or older who
is a registered qualifying patient under the Compassionate
Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act may cultivate
cannabis plants, with a limit of 5 plants that are more
than 5 inches tall, per household without a cultivation
center or craft grower license. In this Section, "resident"
means a person who has been domiciled in the State of
Illinois for a period of 30 days before cultivation.
(2) Cannabis cultivation must take place in an
enclosed, locked space.
(3) Adult registered qualifying patients may purchase
cannabis seeds from a dispensary for the purpose of home
cultivation. Seeds may not be given or sold to any other
person.

It goes on and on and on as usual govt mumbo jumbo and took awhile to even find that part :rofl: but unless they amended it that reads only registered Medical folks. I couldn't find an easier to read official govt thing on it that leaves out all the BS and just states rules in a short simple manor like OR has: Recreational Marijuana FAQs: Personal Use

Much nicer when you don't have to wade thru a bunch of baloney to find a gist of the rules ;)
Plus you can always just grow it and ignore the ignorant laws.

Plus you can always just grow it and ignore the ignorant laws.
There is that. Do not draw attention to the plants. Try to keep the number of plants close to the number allowed for medical growers. With such a small fine if caught it is unlikely that the police and local municipal governments will want to bother you. Just is not worth it. Again, just avoid drawing attention to what ever is in the grow. Might not be able to grow outside.

Smokingwings nailed it pretty good. Medical card holders up to 5 plants. Non medical growers up to 5 plants punisheable by a $200. parking ticket. I’m not sure if they would confiscate the lights and other gardening equip as evidence. Any more than 5 plants more draconian punishment. I cant see this being ardently enforced.

Smokingwings nailed it pretty good. Medical card holders up to 5 plants. Non medical growers up to 5 plants punisheable by a $200. parking ticket. I’m not sure if they would confiscate the lights and other gardening equip as evidence. Any more than 5 plants more draconian punishment. I cant see this being ardently enforced.
Basically they de-criminalized non-medical growing but did not make it legal. It is more of a civil infraction than it is a criminal offense.

I did not look into what happens after the second or third time busted but eventually someone will get upset. Just don't attract unwanted attention.

Basically they de-criminalized non-medical growing but did not make it legal. It is more of a civil infraction than it is a criminal offense.

I did not look into what happens after the second or third time busted but eventually someone will get upset. Just don't attract unwanted attention.

Basically if you just growing for your own personal use will probably never be an issue if kept out of sight from the public, selling it a whole different can of worms and will be a larger chance of attracting attention and cause you problems.

Back
Top Bottom