New LED Grow Room, Looking For Advice, Criticism Or Insults

WestCoastKush

420 Member
I’m hoping for a confirmation on if this is going to work or if I need to change a few things.

I convererted a 10x16 insulated shed into a two 5’x5 grow rooms, a 5’x10’ lung room and 6’x10’ main entrance/storage room.

image.jpg

A bit of a rough birds eye view but you get the idea.

The shed has 4 - 20 Amp 110v fed to it. Each room is on its own circuit and I maxed out allowable outlets just so I didn’t have to worry extension cords everywhere.

Everything in the room is GFCI but I’m unsure what I can have inside the room without risk out electrical hazard and if I can put anything in the lung room to free some space in the grow room that would be ideal.

Mainly, I have 2 Inkbird Temperature and Humidity Monitors that would control a fan, heater, humidifier and dehumidifier.

9C650872-EE77-4250-BBE9-1CECCD6BB6D8.jpeg

(Pre Mylar interior and painted exterior. Just easier to see detail)

I’m using a 1000Watt LED in each room but am not sure if that’s going to be enough coverage, would 2 1000watt lights in each room be to much?

Still quite new to this and no matter how many hours you spend looking online nothing ever really matches your own grow. Any advice, suggestions or comments would be great as this my first grow and I don’t want to butcher it due to fixable errors.

Thanks.

I’m hoping for a confirmation on if this is going to work or if I need to change a few things.

I convererted a 10x16 insulated shed into a two 5’x5 grow rooms, a 5’x10’ lung room and 6’x10’ main entrance/storage room.

image.jpg

The shed has 4 - 20 Amp 110v fed to it. Each room is on its own circuit and I maxed out allowable outlets just so I didn’t have to worry extension cords everywhere.

Everything in the room is GFCI but I’m unsure what I can have inside the room without risk out electrical hazard and if I can put anything in the lung room to free some space in the grow room that would be ideal.

Mainly, I have 2 Inkbird Temperature and Humidity Monitors that would control a fan, heater, humidifier and dehumidifier.

I’m using a 1000Watt LED in each room but am not sure if that’s going to be enough coverage, would 2 1000watt lights in each room be to much?

Still quite new to this and no matter how many hours you spend looking online nothing ever really matches your own grow. Any advice, suggestions or comments would be great as this my first grow and I don’t want to butcher it due to fixable errors.

Thanks.

Room is looking great! :welldone:

Most likely, that 1,000w LED will NOT be enough. The LED manufacturers tend to overstate the power of their LED's and that 1kw LED probably has an actual draw of about 300w, which means you'd need 3-4 of them to get the equivalent of a 1,000w HPS.

I'm a big fan of LED's and have used them exclusively for close to 10 years, so this is NOT coming from some anti-LED bigot - it's just a fact!

The LED mfg's will put something like (100) 10w diodes in a fixture and advertise it as 1,000w (100x10w) BUT they never run those diodes to full capacity to conserve on heat which also reduces cooling requirements and extends component life.

If you post the exact model of the LED, I'm happy to take a look and comment specifically.
:Namaste:

image.jpg

Thanks.
Particle board.. Nice way to introduce arcnic to the grow room... Just playing pretty sure they stopped that in the 80's nice neat and sturdy grow room

Room is looking great! :welldone:

Most likely, that 1,000w LED will NOT be enough. The LED manufacturers tend to overstate the power of their LED's and that 1kw LED probably has an actual draw of about 300w, which means you'd need 3-4 of them to get the equivalent of a 1,000w HPS.

I'm a big fan of LED's and have used them exclusively for close to 10 years, so this is NOT coming from some anti-LED bigot - it's just a fact!

The LED mfg's will put something like (100) 10w diodes in a fixture and advertise it as 1,000w (100x10w) BUT they never run those diodes to full capacity to conserve on heat which also reduces cooling requirements and extends component life.

If you post the exact model of the LED, I'm happy to take a look and comment specifically.
:Namaste:

I thought that it was actual power drawn like you say so I have always wonder where the cost savings is if you at running 4 LEDs vs. 1 MH.

Here’s the light specs, thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 97064EB3-C3B1-4FB1-9E52-828AA0C8E7F6.png
    97064EB3-C3B1-4FB1-9E52-828AA0C8E7F6.png
    552.8 KB · Views: 54
  • A1CF5637-804E-4380-BD61-A77490A7BBAD.png
    A1CF5637-804E-4380-BD61-A77490A7BBAD.png
    703.9 KB · Views: 51
Because hanging drywall by yourself sucks. I figured easy mounting options for lighter weight things over drywall. This is my first attempt at any of this including growing. History has shown me I’ll probly have to change something or many.
It does suck to hang by your self a drywall jack is a handy but expensive tool.. I was being extra critical because you asked for an insult lol.. The particle board should be fine as long as you dont use it as a table or have a long term leak

I thought that it was actual power drawn like you say so I have always wonder where the cost savings is if you at running 4 LEDs vs. 1 MH.

Here’s the light specs, thanks for your input.

Yeah, Brother....That light is kinda' a waste of money. It looks like it only pulls an actual 185w from the wall (see your first graphic!) and the spec's listed are:

Specifications :
Dimension: 12.2x8.26x2.36inches
Power:1000w(100pcs*10w)
LED Type: Epistar LEDs
Full spectrum for vegetative and flowering stage: 410nm, 430~440nm, 450~475nm, 620~630nm, 650~670nm, White, IR(730nm)
Coverage Area: about 3.4 x 3.8 ft(The lighting area and the height are changeable according to different plants and environments.)
Lifespan:100,000hours
Worldwide Voltage: 85v-265v
Working Frequency: 50~60Hz

So, they even tell you it won't be enough for a 5'x5' and I would add that it's probably only good for veg. If you're gonna flower in a 5'x5', you want to shoot for something like 35w per square foot minimum and 50+w per square foot is better - and that's actual draw. So, you're right on-track with around 1,000w, but they need to be actual watts.

I'd recommend you take a look at the Mars LED's. They are very inexpensive, but still good & effective lights. I have TWO of their Reflector 144's in a 4'x4' tent. They're a great sponsor here, have a huge forum (I'll post link in a minute) and @SmokeSara who is their rep is very active here and gives great support. She can let you know how you can get any discounts or take advantage of any promotions.

Even after looking at Mars and reading countless reviews I think I’m going to return my lights and go with a HPS Kit. LED growing just seems to have to many variable for a first time grower and light spectrums aren’t my strong suit. Thanks again for your help. This is the kit I’m looking at.

Attachments

• E60E94C3-1BFA-44C7-A421-EF32F32673F5.png
    E60E94C3-1BFA-44C7-A421-EF32F32673F5.png
    637.2 KB · Views: 54
Even after looking at Mars and reading countless reviews I think I’m going to return my lights and go with a HPS Kit. LED growing just seems to have to many variable for a first time grower and light spectrums aren’t my strong suit. Thanks again for your help. This is the kit I’m looking at.

You can't go wrong with an HPS. You'll typically get higher yields with the HPS due to better penetration into the canopy, but better quality with the mixed spectrum of the LED's. HPS is lower up-front costs, but then lots of bulb replacements later.

It's all a trade-off and, like I said (even as an "LED Guy"), you're fine with an HPS! :goodjob:

Appreciate your help, I see lots of benefits to led like you say I just don’t feel confident enough without someone mentoring me through my first couple grows with them. Just seems to be more history and help with HPS.

This seems to be just one of many battles. Nutrients has been my biggest headache. Can’t erap my head around which of the million products to by haha

Appreciate your help, I see lots of benefits to led like you say I just don’t feel confident enough without someone mentoring me through my first couple grows with them. Just seems to be more history and help with HPS.

This seems to be just one of many battles. Nutrients has been my biggest headache. Can’t erap my head around which of the million products to by haha

You'll get plenty of mentorship on anything you need here on :420:

Once you get going, just start a grow journal. Before you select nutrients, you need to decide on the style of grow, medium, and whether or not you want to try to grow organically or using salt-based nutrients.

There are a LOT of different methods out there, so just pick one you think appeals to you, and feel free to change up for future grows. The more you learn, the more you can try! :goodluck:

Hi WestCoastKush, very nice room and set up. :goodjob:
But very sorry that there are many misleading info online for LED grow lights that makes you confused. :confused: We are always trying to help more growers knows the fact of growing with LED grow lights, but there are just too many other companies, who are looking only very short site, and uses the exaggerated data to mislead customers, also makes the market bad. :(
We are writing an article on LED grow lights wattage, I think we will publish this week, so hopefully more and more ppl will be benefit so that they will buy the suitable ones.
BTW, if you have any question on LED grow lights in future, you can feel free to contact me, I can usually reply within 24 hours, since there is time difference. :) :Namaste:

Hi WestCoastKush, very nice room and set up. :goodjob:
But very sorry that there are many misleading info online for LED grow lights that makes you confused. :confused: We are always trying to help more growers knows the fact of growing with LED grow lights, but there are just too many other companies, who are looking only very short site, and uses the exaggerated data to mislead customers, also makes the market bad. :(
We are writing an article on LED grow lights wattage, I think we will publish this week, so hopefully more and more ppl will be benefit so that they will buy the suitable ones.
BTW, if you have any question on LED grow lights in future, you can feel free to contact me, I can usually reply within 24 hours, since there is time difference. :) :Namaste:

Thanks for the reply Sara, What would you suggest for an LED for my two 5x5 rooms? It’s crazy to have these things built and I can’t figure out lighting to save my life lol.

Thanks for the reply Sara, What would you suggest for an LED for my two 5x5 rooms? It’s crazy to have these things built and I can’t figure out lighting to save my life lol.

Well, wait for Sara, but, depending on budget, I'd look at the Mars II 1600 which draws about 630w and retails for $475 or the Mars Pro II Epistar 320 which draws about 725w and retails for $615. Prices can go up from there if you wanted redundancy, more watts, Cree chips, etc., but IMHO, either of those two would give you decent coverage in that area.

One of the 5x5 room can fit our 3pcs of SP-200, 750w in total. they will give you both great coverage and also light penetration and yield, :) It is our newest light, from the feedbacks of the testers, they are working great. :)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=491878274552108

Well, wait for Sara, but, depending on budget, I'd look at the Mars II 1600 which draws about 630w and retails for $475 or the Mars Pro II Epistar 320 which draws about 725w and retails for $615. Prices can go up from there if you wanted redundancy, more watts, Cree chips, etc., but IMHO, either of those two would give you decent coverage in that area.
Yes, when the SP series is not available, I still have to recommend the big lights, but my preference is more smaller lights to cover, so that the lights will be more balanced and you have enough coverage as well. :D

Back
Top Bottom