New light cycle

wardo

Four years ago I heard about some guys in Los Angeles flowering their plants on a 12 on 6 off light cycle. It took me a few years to get around to it due to my own speculation and doubt but, I tried it and it worked.

Before all of you self proclaimed Gurus start telling me this does not work or you have never heard of it, therefore it does not work, save it, I have heard all of these arguments already. Don't tell me just because you have not seen your own liver or kidneys, that they must not exist.

I am not here for a flame war and not interested in arguing this with anyone. I welcome input and hope to see all benefit from this information.

This is not a gimmick, it works, try it before you knock it.

18 and 6 would keep the plant in it's vegetative state. The plant interprets the light and dark cycles as days, plants do not live by clocks like we do. Plants behavior is determined by their environment, a light then a dark period to a plant is a day. So I squeeze 9 day for the plant into 7 24 hour days. The benefit is faster harvest.

If your flower cycle takes 9 weeks then it is reduced to 7 weeks. The basic ratio is 9/7 so if you normally take 90 days to harvest, the timer reduces that to 70 days. There is slight variation in yield depending on strain but, it is nominal. I usually get within grams of my previous 12/12 light cycle.

That's the thing, the period of darkness is not a set period as many will try to tell you. If it were you would not be able to veg. a plant under continual light(24 hour veg).

Contrary to common belief the plant does not require 12 hours of darkness, there are many varieties that grow in Alaska where 4 months out of the year there is no darkness...

You have peaked my curiosity. However, I find it strange that I have not heard of this anywhere. Not in any books, websites or forums. If it's only a nominal loss in weight compared to a 12/12 grow and it's been around for a couple years that you know of I'm very suprised that it hasn't reached the web until now. Well, atleast the web that I'm aware of. I have not tried this for myself so I will stop short of Critiquing your method. I will try and research this a little more for myself.

The people I know that do this don't come to places like this. I am a second generation grower and have learned everything I know without the internet. A person who makes their living doing this is not interested in drawing any attention to themselves, talking to total strangers about this. Most serious growers don't come to internet forums to talk about it, they are too paranoid and not really into helping anyone but themselves. Do you invite total strangers into your room?

Apparently there has been depate on the internet about such a thing for some time now. Some people are saying Jorge Cervantes addressed this very thing in one of his books. Some people are sceptical due to the loss in weight it possibly will cause. I will be doing more research later. Don't have time tonight. It's got me interested. Seems like there is always something else to learn about growing cannabis.

The people I know that do this don't come to places like this. I am a second generation grower and have learned everything I know without the internet. A person who makes their living doing this is not interested in drawing any attention to themselves, talking to total strangers about this. Most serious growers don't come to internet forums to talk about it, they are too paranoid and not really into helping anyone but themselves. Do you invite total strangers into your room?

dude you full of it. lguys dont believe a dam bit.. stick with the 12/12

Contrary to common belief the plant does not require 12 hours of darkness, there are many varieties that grow in Alaska where 4 months out of the year there is no darkness...

Send us one so we can journal a grow with it and document the results for all to see.

I have started marketing my timer in Hydro stores and most of the owners have heard about this light cycle and are starting to buy and stock them... I think I will continue working with professionals...

SHHHHHH!!!!! THIS IS/WAS A SECRET AMONGST ELDER GROWERS AROUND THE SOUTH BAY/LA METRO AREA. With all these dispensaries being raided and filled, demand is HIGH for medicine. Someone eventually sat down with a pound n a pencil, and figured this shit out I guess, but word travelled fast through local vendors, its not right to hide, but secrecy and knowing who your telling is key, but I guess the secret is out? I can get 115+ dry grams of top shelf indica/per week, on 100% organic soil, S.o.G., 2000w, with a 6/6,6/6 24hrs...(2 plant days, 1 human day). Total cycle from the cut of the clone is 24 days. I dont lose much weight, either. Nice little 4 or 5 gram colas x 100-200 sites, (proper paperwork supplied) and I've been doin it for years...I hear its called Guerilla Growing?

I guess you guys must be using some strange strains. Perhaps something with more than a little ruderalis mixed into it? Some strains will flower on (slightly) less than 12 hours and some even with 10 hours (eventually) will complete flowering but I've never encountered a strain that had no AF genetics in it that would flower with 6 hours dark period.

In fact, more than a few people keep mother plants and don't wish them to overgrow their entire space so they keep them under far less than the usual hours of light and simply set their timers so that the dark period is interrupted - every six hours lol - so that the plants do not initiate flowering.

If it were you would not be able to veg. a plant under continual light(24 hour veg).

Vegging and flowering are two completely different growth phases.

I would suspect that such varieties in AK have more than a little ruderalis in them, just like ones in Siberia and other northern latitudes.

Different strains are... different, you know.

were not in 1969 anymore guys....growing has evolved so far, and just continues everyday. The nifty high tech tricks are obsolete before we get to use them, or your just stuck in the past...oh, and autoflower is ALWAYS the way to go...

and i never said what strain i was using nor say if it were autoflower or not....thx for the info tho, but like the first post said, its been done...for years

oh, and autoflower is ALWAYS the way to go...

For some. For others, that maybe don't like dealing with the hassle & possible different phenotypes/statures of plants grown from seed, and the small amounts coming from each plant requiring numbers of plants that get into the federal mandatory sentencing statutes...

I used to have a newspaper clipping about a guy that I went to high school with that had grown one plant in a scrog setup that had given him 392 grams the previous grow. He also had one clone. Two plants (he would harvest the plant, grow out the clone and take a cutting during veg). He got busted because he was too stupid to pay his child support and his ex- turned him in. He got... probation.

So he made peace with the ex-, caught up on child support, and went right back to gardening lol (he did refrain from smoking for the period of his probation).

He did have to replace his equipment (a big light, nutrients, one large rubbermaid tote, and a $20 aquarium pump). Oh and some chicken wire. His meters were not in his GR and they missed them.

His lawyer portrayed him more-or-less as an idiot who was trying to grow for personal use that had gotten everything wrong (I can see it now, "...As evidenced, Your Honor, by the fact that the ONE plant completely took over his closet so that he wasn't even ABLE to plant the other tiny plant he had been wanting to put in there.":ganjamon:)

So... Every person's situation is different. AF may well be the best for you and for a lot of other people but certainly not for everyone.

And if you were talking about AF plants, why not just go with 20/4 or even 24/0? I don't know that they'd finish any faster but they'd finish larger.

Back
Top Bottom