New Marijuana Dispensary Proposed for Langley

Jacob Bell

The Langley Medical Marijuana Dispensary that was shut down by police will be revived under new management and a different "member-driven" structure.

Randy Caine made the announcement Tuesday night at a public meeting with more than 100 supporters at the Douglas Recreation Centre.

"We will have another dispensary operating in this community in the not-too-distant future," Caine said.

Caine added the new dispensary will not be located in the office that was raided by police last month and he, personally, will not be involved in its day-to-day operation.

"I have to step back [following the raid]," Caine said.

He did not disclose who would be running the new dispensary, except to say the person is a medical user.

"There is someone within your medicinal community who will bring this back."

Caine indicated the new dispensary will operate in a more decentralized fashion than his operation, which supplied marijuana from a single site.

He promised he will continue to campaign for a dispensary in Langley.

"I have a lot of time to be annoying [now that my dispensary is closed]", Caine said.

"I will not leave this."

Langley RCMP raided Caine's dispensary on July 19, saying it was in response to "numerous ongoing complaints from the community and area residents."

Caine had about 200 clients and a legal licence to supply just two people.

"I exceeded my quota, sure," Caine said.

"But how can there be a quota on health care?"

He doubts the case will ever go to court.

"I don't think any of this was about laying charges," Caine said.

"It was about spreading fear."

Caine said the dispensary was a response to a lack of legitimate sources of marijuana for Langley medicinal users, that it was financially viable despite charging less than black market rates, and that local politicians should get behind it.

"They've got to unbuckle their butt and step forward."

Earlier that day, a small group of about 10 dispensary supporters picketed city hall with signs saying "please support medical MJ access" and "Langley needs medical MJ access now."

Langley City Mayor Peter Fassbender told the protestors he will not support a dispensary that breaks the law and would prefer a system that distributes cannabis through pharmacies.

"You should be able to get a prescription," Fassbender told protestors during a low-key conversation with protester Corey Reid in the city hall foyer (shown above).

While the two men have substantially different views about cannabis, both agreed that the current laws governing medical marijuana use are a mess.

"We've got to fix what's wrong and what's wrong is the law," Fassbender said as he shook hands with Reid.

The mayor also said when Caine informed the city of his intentions to operate a dispensary, he was warned.

Fassbender said he appreciates Caine's position, but the law is clear.

"If you do it, it's at your own risk."

He said he did not direct the RCMP to raid the dispensary, and added that the police make their own decision about whom to investigate.

abb31.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: bclocalnews.com
Author: Dan Ferguson
Copyright: BlackPress

Back
Top Bottom