New member searching for the insights of an experienced grower!

Narcissus

Hi my name's "Narcissus" & it's a pleasure to meet all of you. I just joined this community because I've just begun my first grow (2 Dutch Passion Blueberry, 2 EZ-Ryder, 1 Auto-Flowering Critical Jack, & 1 Blue Widow/Venom).

My Setup: I'm using 2-105w CFL's (full spectrum - 5500 lumens) & 2-42w CFL's (warm light - 2700 lumens), which is all in a very small closet (width=1.5', length=2.5', height=7') lined with Mylar for increased reflectively. I've just ordered a 240w Black Star panel to help with cooling and to test out the possibilities of an LED grow. I also have 2 portable humidifiers to keep the humidity around 50-65, but always have to turn them off during the night cycle bc each humidifier has a blue UV light & a red light. I'm currently running a light/dark cycle of 18 hrs. ON & 6 hrs. OFF. My babies are all just seedlings at the moment, although the Critical Jack (CJ) is just beginning to make the transition to the vegetative stage. My babies will be 2 weeks old tomorrow so maybe I'm just being anxious about their health.

My first grow isn't going as well as I'd hoped (mainly due to my eagerness & lack of planning), but my plants are doing okay (especially CJ, who appears to be quite resilient). Sadly, I've been battling with root rot in my reservoir bc I can't seem to keep the res. temperature below 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I just ordered an aquarium cooling system that will hopefully help solve this problem (fingers crossed). Two of my plants (1 BB & 1 EZR) began turning a bright lime green about 4 days ago and I was told this problem was induced by over watering since the water pump is run continuously (24 hours) so I immediately turned it off when their leaves turned lime green. However, when I discovered my root rot dilemma & began to immediately scour the internet for solutions, I found that root rot can cause the same symptoms as over watering. Anyways I'll see how they progress and hopefully this will be solved in short period of time.

I realize that I was suppose to introduce myself, but I assumed people would be more interested in what my grow setup is. I'll try to post pictures soon and hopefully I can get some experienced insights into how to cure my root rot problem. I've transplanted my plants once before due to root rot and it's hard on the plants bc I need to take them out of their pots & thoroughly wash them & wash my tub.

Anyways I began this project just because I'm interested in the unique development of the various strains, which I find unlike any other plant you might find in the typical backyard garden. I was never much of a smoker, but have gained a new appreciation after hours of research online and the process of my first grow. I typically smoke at night (vaporizer & piece) because I have trouble sleeping (aka I have insomnia), but since just a few weeks ago I have begun to thoroughly enjoy the effects. Well at least I enjoy the "high" (minus the binge eating & inability to be even 25% as productive when I'm sober). Well that's about it for this concise introduction and I hope to hear from you all soon. I hope everyone is having a great day/night, wherever you are, and enjoying themselves with the help of our favorite plant.

make sure you have plenty of air getting to the roots, I hear that for dwc 27 gallons per hour of air per gallon of water is a start, and more is always better. just wondering what ph you are running and how often you have to change it up or down. Hygrozyme breaks down root rot and turns it into food for the roots; btw rootbastic by atami worked very well for me. If youare pumping water over the roots than please pick up a timer and let those roots breath; target has them for like $6. the 240 watt blackstar LED is great I have 2 of them now, and I think they work very well with cfl or t5's; they do run warmer than I was expecting so keep that in mind. Good luck Narcissus

Thanks for the for the suggestions and help Laeotis. I have 3 water stones in my reservoir (only 6 gallons of water), continuously pumping air to my roots. Haha it might be overkill, but I assumed more oxygen would be better for the roots. I've been using Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to kill some the root rot, but already have some 35% h2o2 coming in a day or two. I've been keeping my pH at 5.8 and have been re-adjusting daily, but have heard that with a bubble system/hydroponic system you should adjust pH to 5.6 and then wait 36-48 hours before readjusting the pH again. I've been topping off my reservoir a few times a day with ice cubes/ice water bottles to keep the reservoir cooler, but it keeps on going back to around 70-73 degrees. Would you recommend getting both Hygrozyme & Rootbastic and how specifically did you use them? Any special precautions to take or did the Hygrozyme and Rootbastic get rid of the root rot immediately? Thanks for your help & hope to hear from you soon.

High Narcissus, :welcome: to 420 Magazine!

I think you'll find this is the best mmj community out there... Dedicated to spreading awareness of the benefits of Cannabis. :thumb:

Our members are some of the most knowledgable and the most helpful anywhere!

That's cool if you want to tell people about yourself, why not tell them about your grow! :thumb:

If you are looking for guidance along the way though, you might want to start a journal or post in the Frequently Asked Questions forum...that way you'll have a better shot at someone that can help, finding you.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines: Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting, they will assist you in navigating the forum.

Here are some other links that you should check out:

Our mission statement: Mission Statement
Questions: Frequently Asked Questions - 420 Magazine
Uploading photos: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
Grow support: How to Ask for Grow Support
How to grow: How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine
MMJ lounge: Medical Marijuana Lounge - 420 Magazine
News: International Cannabis News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana News - 420 Magazine
Hemp News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana Scientific Data - 420 Magazine
Help support the cause: Please Help Support 420 Magazine
One of my favorite places to hang out: Grow Journals - 420 Magazine

Also, please check out the monthly contests linked below in my signature, and feel free to participate by voting and/or entering!

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom