New member with a few questions

Sascwatch

I'm now on my second crop of MK and I have a few questions. I'll get to those at the end but first I'll explain my setup and how I've been doing things.

I learned quickly that there is a lot more to it then just putting the plants in dirt under some light and feeding them.

This being my second crop I picked my clones from the one known producing plant from my first crop. The plant i cloned from produced 5oz of dried/cured bud by itself while the remaining 5 only produced 10oz combined. (Atleast I think all 6 came from that plant, due to a mixup)

My first crop of 6 plants produced 15oz once dried/cured. 5oz came from one plant alone. Trichomes are 50% red at time of harvest.

Clones are started in small Rockwool cubes and are under T5 lights (24/7) until moved into the main room.

Plants are watered with tap water until roots are spotted and they are put into PROMIX HP.
(Typically 2 weeks) I start feeding a low dose of super nutrients grow by ab fertilizer.

https://www.abfertilizer.ca/products.html
-cheap and easily available locally, rep said it contains all micro and macro nutrients.

I top/fim the plants at node 4/5.

Plants continue to grow under the T5 lights in 6" pots until roots are spotted in the drain holes. Nutrients are increased to full strength as time progress and plants are put into 5 gallon pots at this time.

Shortly after I will move them under the 1000w mh light on an 18/6 cycle for 3-4 weeks approx. by now the plants are 14-18 inches high and are very bushy.

Once the light is switched to 12/12 (HPS) I continue to feed veg nutes for extra N during the growth spurt they experience during the first 2 weeks of 12/12.

Soil is flushed with tap water and I begin the flowering nutes, again, at a low dose increasing to full strength within about 7-10 days.

Once signs of flowering are spotted I'll begin feeding bud blaster at half strength working my way up to full.

After about 8 weeks of 12/12 the plants are almost finished with cloudy trichomes so I stop nutrients completely and use just water.

-during the whole cycle I water with nutrients every other time and flush the soil every 2 weeks or so thuroughly.

-room is ventilated using an 8" inline fan which moves a TON of air, an oscillating fan is used aswell 24/7 temps with lights on are around 80f and 70f off.

-light is typically 14" from the plants

Now for my questions:

-should I be adding anything the the PROMIX HP w/ mycorrhizae?

-is my nute/ watering program sufficient? Or lacking? Leaves typically have 5-9 leaflets.

-I do not have a working ph meter but I plan on getting one. No nute problems present, just the odd dead leaf which is removed.

-is a 5 gallon pot sufficient for plants of this size? Typically 36-44 inches when finished. Plants are trained around the cages to reduce height aswell.

-I now water using the "lift the pot method" watering every few days at this time 3/4-1 gallon per plant.

-I was told to talk to my plants, but my dad thinks I'm going insane when he checks in on me. Anybody else do this?

I have one picture I plan to post once I figure out how which was taken yesterday, 4 weeks into 12/12.

Any comments are appreciated, more info can be provided aswell. Thanks in advance and for all the knowledge I've gained from the stickies.

Please forgive any typos/ grammar errors As I speed typed this post on my phone after the first one gave me an error and I had to type it all again, I may have missed a few things aswell.

Here is a pic of the plants currently. Week 4 of 12/12. Cages are 42" tall. Angle of the picture makes the plants look way different, plant height is within 6".

image34644.jpg

I'm sure I missed a few things being my second grow, I plan on doing a journal on my next batch.

Looks great! Welcome to :420:

Thanks, they look much better than my first attempt at this stage, I think I stretched them out to much last time with to long of an 18/6 cycle. The buds on one plant bulked right up and with heavy while the remaining 5 stayed in the room for an extra week and never did bulk up. They did drop most of their leaves by the end so I timed the flushing right. 50% Amber trichomes were my harvest time.

I'm not sure about the quality of the clones I received, my last crop looked like a mix of sativa and indica (broad leaf and narrow) Where they were all supposed to be master kush.
If you look closely the plant on the back right has broad leaves, but smells awesome! The rest are all narrow.

I will start from seed when I get a chance to order some.

REQUIRED INFORMATION FOR GROW SUPPORT

What Strain is it? Supposed to be Master Kush (clones)
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
How Many Plants? 6
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flowering
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? Just started week 4
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? PROMIX HP w/mycorrhizae
If Soil... What Size Pot? 5 gallons
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1000w MH for veg 1000w HPS for bloom
Is it Air Cooled? No
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 80* lights on ~70* lights off
RH of Room/Cabinet? Not sure
PH of Medium or Reservoir? Not sure
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? When pots are light, usually every couple of days
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Super nutrients by ab fertilizer inc. veg and bloom. Bud blaster for boost.
Size or Square Footage of Room? 5ft x6ft

Main issue is yield, clones were bought from a friend. He does everything different and volume is very low <2oz per plant when he harvests. My first attempt yielded 15oz from 6 plants. 5oz came from one plant alone. This crop seems to be better so far, I think I need to add a bit of nitrogen during the bud phase, ph problem maybe?

Refer to previous post for picture, it's all I've got at the moment sorry.

Kind of a dark picture, but your plants seem to be healthy. 15oz total is pretty good for that space.

14" for a 1000w is pretty low, I would try 24"-30" away from canopy. With the HID that close it will keep them squatty, if that's what you want for space reasons...keep on, keepin' on.

You don't need to add more Nitrogen during flower stage, you actually want to decrease the Nitrogen in the flowering stage. Your nutrients are for veg or bloom...start using bloom nutrient a few days before you switch to 12/12...use only the bloom nutrients in flower...part A&B that formula will have enough Nitrogen in it for the bloom stage, in flower you want to have more PK (phosphorus & potassium) and less nitrogen...your nutrients are formulated for this according to which stage you're in at the time.:)

Awesome thanks. I'm still new so I'm probably overthinking things. Height is limited and my bulb can't go up any higher without touching the roof at the moment. Still feels cool with my hand at the canopy height and no burnt leaves. Last grow I let a couple of the plants grow to tall and they got burnt. This time around the plants are being trained with the cages.

I had to take that pic with the lights off, any tips on how to get a clear picture with a smart phone while the lights are on? They are always yellow and have lines in them.

Thanks again for the tips.

Yeah taking pictures with HPS in the room is annoying. Kind of cool, because you can actually see the frequency of the light with the camera, but annoying if you want to take pictures. I have an over head light in my grow area that has a cfl plugged into it so I just use that when I want to take pictures.

I read many post by growers and don't comment all that much... I must say you have done your homework and I am very impressed... Your set up is nearly identical to mine... I have two 4x4x7 tents both with 1000w and 8" inlines... Your growing method is solid and it shows... Sticking to the basics will reap many rewards! Most new growers don't read enough and stray from the basics and that causes problems... I grow Chronic 8 total (4 per tent) and my first grow was very similar to yours. I would not say I have mastered anything yet but my yields have grown considerably! On my last grow I had just over 42oz. I would like to give you some great advice but it seems as though you're doing just fine as is! Continue the nice work and stay on track! Happy Growing!!!
A shitty pic below! Was my third grow. 8 plants and 37oz... No pics of the last one.

0041963.JPG

0071528.JPG

I've been lurking for months and only recently joined. I was planning on posting a journal earlier when I signed up, but I've been spending a lot of time in the bush hunting.

I feel I'm doing okay as this is only my second grow and they seem to be healthy as can be. I must be lucky with ph since I've never adjusted it. A meter is in the works, I've got my hands on a Hanna meter but it needs a new globe cause it got dried out and crusty.

I plan on flushing this weekend which is a lot of work due to the size of my pots. More pics to come.

Back
Top Bottom