Status
Not open for further replies.

Beateo

Hi, I'm a 54 year old retiree, libertarian, grandpa, and chronic pain sufferer. For the past 15 years I've been using doctor prescribed narcotics to control pain. For reasons of my own, I have stopped taking them and would like to learn how to grow my own weed for personal use. I have an entire room I can dedicate to the process. I'm here to learn and make some new friends! I'm actually quite naïve about marijuana. I smoked it a little in the '70's and a few times in the past several years. It is definitely NOT the same weed as the '70's.
It's good to be here and I'm looking forward to getting started! :)

Welcome to the Forums, we're glad you decided to join us here. You came to the right place because there is a ton of helpful friendly folks here that offer a lot of information for just about any kind of grow or strain you want. I Hope you expand your knowledge and join the "grow your own" movement.

Have you done any research yet? Any idea what kind of setup you are looking to begin with? A particular strain of MJ perhaps? Hit us with some hard hitting questions, we'll give it our best shot.

Welcome, take your time read alot. Subscribe to journals and watch how others grow. Decide how you want to grow, LED vs HPS/MH, Soil vs Hydro. If Hydro then you have a few different types of choices. Then how will you get seed's and what type to grow different strains do different things I see you have cronic pain so you will want to look for strains that are good for pain.

Mike, Thank you so much. I wouldn't really say I've done research, but I have done some looking around at different websites. Our kids are grown and gone and my wife is cool with my idea to grow my own. I think I want to try to keep it simple at first. My idea is to get a few florescent lights on chains, some feminized seeds, and plant in soil in 5 gallon buckets. There is a window in either vacant room I decide to use so I figured I'd get a window fan to move the air and maybe a vaporizer to get the humidity up. I have no idea how many plants to grow, what strain, or even if my planned ideas make sense or not?? I want to grow for pain relief but I'm not at all opposed to getting a little stoned :) After all, I am retired and am supposed to be enjoying life. Hard questions you say? Okay... here's one: Is there any real threat to someone growing enough for his own use by this stuff I've seen about helicopters that can look into your house.. or is this a bunch of crap? Where is a good place to buy seeds, how many should I start with, and what is a reasonable price?
Thanks again.

Welcome and nice to see you here and posting on 420 mag BEATEO. You will find more then enough info here for sure about growing. I would think the hardest part is pick witch way you want to grow. When you get time look at some of the sponsors as well. The are very trusted place to order if needed. Sorry to hear you have to deal with pain. I hope you find cannabis as a replacement medication witch will not do the damage to your body like the meds our gov trys to get you hooked on. Sorry to babble on. I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I wish you all the best and keep it growing green

Mike, Thank you so much. I wouldn't really say I've done research, but I have done some looking around at different websites. Our kids are grown and gone and my wife is cool with my idea to grow my own. I think I want to try to keep it simple at first. My idea is to get a few florescent lights on chains, some feminized seeds, and plant in soil in 5 gallon buckets. There is a window in either vacant room I decide to use so I figured I'd get a window fan to move the air and maybe a vaporizer to get the humidity up. I have no idea how many plants to grow, what strain, or even if my planned ideas make sense or not?? I want to grow for pain relief but I'm not at all opposed to getting a little stoned :) After all, I am retired and am supposed to be enjoying life. Hard questions you say? Okay... here's one: Is there any real threat to someone growing enough for his own use by this stuff I've seen about helicopters that can look into your house.. or is this a bunch of crap? Where is a good place to buy seeds, how many should I start with, and what is a reasonable price?
Thanks again.

Helicopters do have heat detectors but I think they are looking for Grow houses where the whole house becomes a garden and outdoor gardens. A couple of CFL or LED lights, which put out less heat than HID and HPS lights, isn't going to get you busted in my opinion.
I'd look at the forum sponsors link at the top of the page for seeds and I think you probably should order anywhere from 10 to 20 seeds. That should last awhile. Reasonable price depends on where you get them from and what strain.

Thanks again.

start out researching types of growing methods, find the one that you feel you can deal with each have their own advantages and drawbacks. myself i like hydro in a grow closet keeping it small and hidden. it takes about 4 months to grow a plant then you have to dry and cure it. as far as copters unless you put out a huge heat signature you wont need to worry. smell and letting others know what your doing will get you caught faster. dont show off your grow dont talk about it either. if you share smoke with others keep it to yourself that you grew it. amount you can yeld will depend on type of plant and how big you can let it grow. for seeds I like herbies and they are a sponsor. I like LED lights less heat less electricity but good results. rember about the smell a good plant during flower can get mighty stinky so keep in mind how close neighbors are and weather people will be in your house.:welcome:

start out researching types of growing methods, find the one that you feel you can deal with each have their own advantages and drawbacks. myself i like hydro in a grow closet keeping it small and hidden. it takes about 4 months to grow a plant then you have to dry and cure it. as far as copters unless you put out a huge heat signature you wont need to worry. smell and letting others know what your doing will get you caught faster. dont show off your grow dont talk about it either. if you share smoke with others keep it to yourself that you grew it. amount you can yeld will depend on type of plant and how big you can let it grow. for seeds I like herbies and they are a sponsor. I like LED lights less heat less electricity but good results. rember about the smell a good plant during flower can get mighty stinky so keep in mind how close neighbors are and weather people will be in your house.:welcome:

I agree with all of the above. Good sound advice, 2BLgL.

Thanks 2BLgL. About the smell... I have about 20 acres and live in a farming area. No close neighbors. My plan so far is to use a vacant bedroom that has one window. Lock the door, put a window fan in that room which I'm thinking should suck the air from under the bedroom door and out the window and create kind of a negative pressure and hopefully keep the smell out of my house for when visitors are here. Does that sound like it will work or am I going at this wrong?

Here's a question... maybe this should go to the moderators?? Anyway, I wrote a long drawn out question about growing and when I hit the post button, it wouldn't post because I didn't have it addressed to anyone specific. I just want to throw general questions out there and don't really have anyone in my "friends circle" to direct them too yet. What am I doing wrong??

Yes, I can't figure out what happened?? I'll try to post something again when I get a few minutes
I have nothing but questions right now.... maybe some day I'll be able to answer some for someone else? :)
I do appreciate you taking time to answer me Mike!

Pittbull72, Thank you. I'm trying to keep it simple to start. I know virtually nothing about growing. What I do know is that I'm sick of taking pills and want to get growing asap. I'm finding a lot of information on this site and you've given me something new to consider :)

Here's a question... maybe this should go to the moderators?? Anyway, I wrote a long drawn out question about growing and when I hit the post button, it wouldn't post because I didn't have it addressed to anyone specific. I just want to throw general questions out there and don't really have anyone in my "friends circle" to direct them too yet. What am I doing wrong??

were you replying to a post or just trying to put a new question out there. I know that until you have so many posts some features are not available.

I thought I was trying to start a new thread but what I was really doing was trying to send a private message without designating who it was supposed to go to. I'm able to post now... thanks.

Hello and welcome to :420: I am a rather new grower and in my opinion, growing in hydro is easier. You have more room for error and if errors occur, fixing it is slightly easier. When considering your grow there are a few things to consider when setting up the grow room. Temps true, humidity, ventilation, odor, and lastly cost. Certain lights draw more energy than others which will creat a higher electric bill.

In terms of seeds, I have ordered from herbies, seeds supreme and Bonza Seeds. I have had zero issues as of yet (still waiting on the bonza order). There are several members of this site who grow for relief of several ailments. So I believe u will find the answers u need. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom