spunmonkey

Happy Easter to everyone!! I am new to metering my water & have a question on ppm. The water out of my tap is 456. I have been giving my girls GH nutes & when I was flushing for the first time the reading was 190 or so. I dont understand.... can someone let me know whats going on....thanks guys....

That's weird... Not sure how that works. But like rifleman said make sure to recalibrate it often.

Welcome to site, glad you came to join the family. I look forward to many more posts, hopefully not only about problems but great looking buds that are sure to come.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Your media probably picked up calcium cations and more out of the water. Your run off indicates that a lot of ppm's of whatever is in your water stayed in the media.

"FLUSHING" is a misunderstood thing. ONLY salts and elements that are highly mobile in soil are going to 'flush', or even move a little. To really understand what's happening you need to read up on CEC, cations, anions and understand, or at least have a basic working knowledge of what happens in soil. Flowing water isn't going to break the electric bonds that hold, say, a calcium cation (Ca++) or a Potassium cation (K+ or K++) to a negatively charged soil/clay particle.

Other wise you'll be 'flushing' with 450ppm and get a run off of 190ppm and scratch your head wondering where the ppms are going.

Try with RO or distilled water, then see if you're getting anything out.

:welcome:

Your media probably picked up calcium cations and more out of the water. Your run off indicates that a lot of ppm's of whatever is in your water stayed in the media.

"FLUSHING" is a misunderstood thing. ONLY salts and elements that are highly mobile in soil are going to 'flush', or even move a little. To really understand what's happening you need to read up on CEC, cations, anions and understand, or at least have a basic working knowledge of what happens in soil. Flowing water isn't going to break the electric bonds that hold, say, a calcium cation (Ca++) or a Potassium cation (K+ or K++) to a negatively charged soil/clay particle.

Other wise you'll be 'flushing' with 450ppm and get a run off of 190ppm and scratch your head wondering where the ppms are going.

Try with RO or distilled water, then see if you're getting anything out.

:welcome:

:thumb: Thanks, I will try DW....

Back
Top Bottom