New on this site - Looking for help please!

copud

Hi, there is so much knowledge from everyone on this site. I am growing a white widow plant from seed in my backyard. I've never grown before, i have always used trim to make my cookies cause I can't smoke it, but my supplier dried up. My question is this; the plant started the flower stage on August 10, the bottom leaves are turning brown and the buds (pistols) are starting to turn amber. When do I harvest? The plant is about 3.6 feet high.
I can't really see the trichomes so I'm not sure what stage it is at. Any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Copud in Coquitlam, b.c.

Re: New on this site, looking for help please!

I've tried to download pics using your tutorial, however I don't get a browse button on the "upload photos" screen. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Pretty frustrating!

You can select the photos you want, then drag and drop them.

uploadphoto.jpg

I've tried to download pics using your tutorial, however I don't get a browse button on the "upload photos" screen. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Pretty frustrating!

If your still having problems with uploads.. You can private message a moderator and they'll help you get going. There's some bugs on certain OS, hope you get er figured out.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

:welcome: copud, When you harvest will be your own preference on what type of high you're seeking. But as a general idea here are some points....

I'm not sure you want mostly Amber. That's at the closing of the harvest window. Less THC. I have been taught by some top growers on this site that Amber means the trichs are over-ripe. The Amber color is because it's produced by oxidation, which typically means degradation of compounds. The clear trichs are pre-ripe, and the cloudy trichs are ripe. Cloudy trichs have the highest THC level. It seems that most people harvest at mostly cloudy (ripe trichs) about 90% about 10% Amber (over-ripped trichs), but you can tweak the ratio for the type of high you want.

Here's a picture to help.
when-to-harvest-cannabis-diagram3.jpg

Thank you, I'll try a different browser. I've never grown before, so I'm not sure when to harvest white widow. The buds are a good size at the top, but the thichomes are only about 10% amber at the top. I am getting a lot of yellow leaves now though.

If you don't have a microscope you're probably looking at the pistils on the buds. I believe you might be confusing pistils (you can see with the eye) with trichomes (you need a microscope) Pistils start out white, sticking straight out, then when they're closer to ready, they get darker and curl in, bud gets denser and bigger. Looking at the pistils is one indicator but you're going to have to get a microscope to take a look at the trichomes for another indicator.

You need to ask the breeder of the seed, what is that strain's flowering period. I did a quick search without knowing your breeder and for white widow it states 60 days flowering time. You said you started flowering on 8/10, so it's not even a month yet. You have a few weeks, but you need to ask the breeder, if you don't know the breeder, I would probably say a minimum of another 4-6 weeks, but again, you also need to keep looking at the pistils on the outside of the bud, then when you get your microscope you match that info with what you see the trichomes color and ratio to be.

We would need to see pictures for any more info especially about yellowing leaves. How and where they're yellowing can be a sign of several different issues.

So pictures please.

Thank you, I'll try a different browser. I've never grown before, so I'm not sure when to harvest white widow. The buds are a good size at the top, but the thichomes are only about 10% amber at the top. I am getting a lot of yellow leaves now though.

Back
Top Bottom