New Paltz Gets A High Rank

Stoner4Life

Although a neon marijuana leaf still glows from a window in the Student Union Building, New Paltz has managed to shed its image as a "drug school" in the past three decades. That is, until now. SUNY New Paltz has just been named to High Times magazine's "Top 10 Counterculture Colleges."

Each autumn, the "stoner-friendly guide" ranks the top 10 colleges and universities for "higher" education ( literally ). This year, the magazine placed an emphasis on campus activism.

According to a press release from the magazine, colleges that affected the greatest change concerning drug policy were listed in the top 10. This includes a look at the schools' NORML/SSDP chapter ( the drug policy reform organization ) and how involved it is in ending what the magazine calls "America's long and disastrous war on drugs."

New Paltz, the only college or university in New York to make the list, ranked seventh, right before McGill University in Montreal. University of Maryland topped the list with University of California at Santa Barbara in second.

New Paltz spokesman Eric Gullickson said that NORML's protests over the years haven't changed the college's drug policies one iota and that NORML's agitation affects only a tiny sliver of the population.

"We don't take this seriously," said Gullickson. "We want to be known as a drug-free campus, not a free drug campus."

According to the magazine, New Paltz's SSDP/NORML has "gained a reputation as one of the most active organizations on campus."

New Paltz hosted the 2006 Northeast Regional SSDP conference, which the magazine credits as another factor contributing to New Paltz' top 10 ranking.

The New Paltz chapter of NORML/SSDP is also said by the magazine to organize large rallies in an attempt to "force the administration to stop kicking students out of their dorms for marijuana possession" and holds an annual "Rock Against Racism" concert.

Recently elected Student Association President Justin Holmes, who was recently suspended ( see news story ), was credited by the magazine with leading the countercultural charges.

Holmes said the magazine's story recognized the importance of "counter and psychedelic cultures" on campus.

Newshawk: Stoner4Life - 420 Magazine
Source: New Paltz Oracle (SUNY, NY Edu)
Pubdate: Mon, 18 Sep 2006
Author: Elizabeth Griffin

Over 30 years ago when I lived in downstate NY I had a bunch of friends that went to New Paltz. That was one of the biggest party schools in new england then, maybe the biggest. From there it was 40 mins or so to Woodstock a hippie town I don't need to say anymore about. We usually cruised up blazing bones on the cool winding country roads instead of I-87 NYS Thruway.
Those were the days......:cheesygrinsmiley: :bongrip: :peace:
If you wanna guarantee a good time in college go to New Paltz....whatta blast. And no matter whats said the party rolls on there......

Back
Top Bottom