New Restrictions Loom For Medical Marijuana

Jacob Bell

SACRAMENTO, Calif -- State lawmakers in the Senate Governance and Finance Committee voted in favor of a bill that would ban medical marijuana dispensaries in residential areas.

SB 847 would ban a dispensary from opening within 600 feet of a residential area.

"I wouldn't even want to live that close to it," said Donna Cephus.

Six members of the committee voted in favor of the bill. Three members did not vote. The bill will now go before the Senate Rules Committee.

Sen. Doug La Malfa (R-Richvale) voted in favor of the bill. He said regulators need to catch up with the industry imposing stricter guidelines. He said this bill, written by Sen. Lou Correa (D-Santa Ana), is a good step.

"We might have to drive two or three miles to go to Raleys. That isn't that tough. So, whether they have to go three, four or five miles to get marijuana, it's not a big inconvenience," La Malfa said.

People who use medical marijuana dispensaries said the bill disregards their rights under Proposition 215 guaranteeing access to patients.

"I'm on foot, and I have plates and screws in both my legs. So, it's hard for me to get around. So, having it here is a blessing," said Daniel Pacheco, who walks to a dispensary just blocks from his home.

People who live near the dispensary Pacheco uses said they don't mind it.

"They don't bother me. People come and go, that's about it," said John Wright.

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kcra.com
Author: KCRA.com
Copyright: Hearst Stations Inc

Sen. Doug La Malfa (R-Richvale)
"We might have to drive two or three miles to go to Raleys. That isn't that tough. So, whether they have to go three, four or five miles to get marijuana, it's not a big inconvenience," La Malfa said.

Let's see Senator;

-what about the patients who can't or do not drive?
-does the bus go there?
-what about a patients right to have access?

The state needs to develop a plan that includes a committee derived of lawmakers, public health and safety, industry leaders, labor, and faith to deal with the issues that arise from city orinances. Cities need to appoint the same committee but also appoint a czar to make discision based on the circumstance not based on the written law.

Back
Top Bottom